Last visit was: 31 May 2024, 06:25 It is currently 31 May 2024, 06:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Cleantech; Consulting
Schools:Stanford [R1], Wharton [R1], MIT [R1], Kellogg [R1], Haas [R1], Tuck [R1], Ross [R2], Fuqua [R2]
 Q50  V40
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 4 yrs as Sales Rep
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2011 applicants [#permalink]
mbaBoundGal wrote:
On the subject of financial aid, has anyone successfully negotiated an increase to their McCombs aid package? I currently have full ride (or just short of a full ride) offers to two other schools in McCombs' same "tier", and a much small offer of financial aid from McCombs. Although McCombs is my top choice, I can't justify going there without an aid increase. I would really appreciate any insights on if I even have a shot at getting them to work with me, or if it would just come through as really poor form to try and have them re-evaluate my package about a week before my decision deadline. Also, maybe I am being paranoid, but would they ever contact the other schools you have offers for to alert them that you are trying to negotiate? Thank you all in advance for any insights on this matter.

Per McCombs alums--the best you can get is in-state tuition + some nominal $ amount (5k).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
grtembey wrote:
inspiredbychaos wrote:
I didn't get an email specifically saying I didn't get the Fellowship, but they had told me when I was invited to apply that I would know if I had it by my decision date (my decision date was March 15). I had figured it would have been sent with my other scholarship email since that would make the most sense, or that I would have at least heard about it separately by this past Tuesday. I assumed I hadn't gotten the Fellowship when it wasn't part of my scholarship package, and my assumption was confirmed when I didn't hear anything about the Fellowship before my decision date.

Good luck and congrats on the admit!

inspiredbychaos,

Are you saying that you did not receive the Forte Fellowship, but you did end up receiving some other form of scholarship from McCombs?

I guess the questions we are trying to get an answer to is - Does every admitted candidate get some for of email notification from McCombs AdCom irrespective of whether they end up getting or not getting some form of scholarship?

I've exchanged a few emails with McCombs AdCom. One person mentioned that if you don't hear back before your deadline, you can assume that you didn't receive any scholarships. Another person I spoke to mentioned that it is possible for you to receive scholarships after the deadline, but it's less common.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vicksikand wrote:
mbaBoundGal wrote:
On the subject of financial aid, has anyone successfully negotiated an increase to their McCombs aid package? I currently have full ride (or just short of a full ride) offers to two other schools in McCombs' same "tier", and a much small offer of financial aid from McCombs. Although McCombs is my top choice, I can't justify going there without an aid increase. I would really appreciate any insights on if I even have a shot at getting them to work with me, or if it would just come through as really poor form to try and have them re-evaluate my package about a week before my decision deadline. Also, maybe I am being paranoid, but would they ever contact the other schools you have offers for to alert them that you are trying to negotiate? Thank you all in advance for any insights on this matter.

Per McCombs alums--the best you can get is in-state tuition + some nominal $ amount (5k).

Thats what I figured. I was hoping maybe they go above that but people just don't report it. An alum would have a good idea of the real deal though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
There are a few full-ride (or near fullride) scholarships for women (Forte) and minorities (Consortium), I believe.

But they have it right. Texas can offer up to $10k a year in scholarship plus they have a limited number (determined by the state legislature) of out-of-state tuition waivers. So the maximum is worth roughly $50k to an out of state resident and $20k to an in-state one.

That said, amount of the award shouldn't be your metric. It should be how much cheaper it makes it compared to your other options, and whether that's enough to make you go to Texas. For example not taking into account living expenses that generally favor Austin, McCombs with $50k in scholarship costs roughly $40k over two years. Duke with a $50k scholarship will cost roughly $56k

Quote:
Recruiting Scholarships
All applicants are automatically considered for recruiting scholarships during the admission process; no additional paperwork needs to be submitted.

McCombs annually offers over one million dollars in scholarships in the form of cash awards and tuition waivers. Cash awards range from $2,000 to $10,000 and consist of both one- and two-year awards. In addition, approximately half of these awards are accompanied by out-of-state tuition waivers, which save the student an additional $16,000 per year. Recruiting scholarships are distributed almost exclusively on the basis of merit.

https://new.mccombs.utexas.edu/MBA/Full- ... l-Aid.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Indiana, Texas, Emory
Send PM
I'm in the same boat, I have an out of state waiver from texas and full tuition from other schools, however for some reason I'm obsessed with Texas now. My head is telling me I'd be a fool to turn down a full ride but my heart wants to be a longhorn so badly. Maybe it's march madness.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Just received a mail from McCombs saying decision is available. 9 weeks's terrible wait and 8th ding of the season. I guess, something is clearly wrong with me.

Anyway, all the best to people who are waiting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
alpeshvc wrote:
Just received a mail from McCombs saying decision is available. 9 weeks's terrible wait and 8th ding of the season. I guess, something is clearly wrong with me.

Anyway, all the best to people who are waiting.

Don't get disheartened buddy...I am in the same ding-boat as you. Ask schools for feedback, talk to successful candidates about their essays/interviews etc. and figure out what went wrong. Next years app's are just a few months away so start working towards getting solid goals/why Mba essays.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Iamnotaprimenumber wrote:
I'm in the same boat, I have an out of state waiver from texas and full tuition from other schools, however for some reason I'm obsessed with Texas now. My head is telling me I'd be a fool to turn down a full ride but my heart wants to be a longhorn so badly. Maybe it's march madness.

Posted from my mobile device

Sometimes you have to choose what makes you happy. This may be one of those times. The money will work itself out later.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
vicksikand wrote:
Don't get disheartened buddy...I am in the same ding-boat as you. Ask schools for feedback, talk to successful candidates about their essays/interviews etc. and figure out what went wrong. Next years app's are just a few months away so start working towards getting solid goals/why Mba essays.

I don't think there is next year. I am so disheartened that I guess I need to sort some things out. I need to reassess myself and if I am good enough to get into a good b-school.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
There's a difference between something being wrong with you and something being wrong with your application. I suspect it's the latter.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:McCombs R1 ($$), HBS R1, Stanford R1, Anderson R2, Haas R2
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
wassabisai wrote:
grtembey wrote:
inspiredbychaos wrote:
I didn't get an email specifically saying I didn't get the Fellowship, but they had told me when I was invited to apply that I would know if I had it by my decision date (my decision date was March 15). I had figured it would have been sent with my other scholarship email since that would make the most sense, or that I would have at least heard about it separately by this past Tuesday. I assumed I hadn't gotten the Fellowship when it wasn't part of my scholarship package, and my assumption was confirmed when I didn't hear anything about the Fellowship before my decision date.

Good luck and congrats on the admit!

inspiredbychaos,

Are you saying that you did not receive the Forte Fellowship, but you did end up receiving some other form of scholarship from McCombs?

I guess the questions we are trying to get an answer to is - Does every admitted candidate get some for of email notification from McCombs AdCom irrespective of whether they end up getting or not getting some form of scholarship?

I've exchanged a few emails with McCombs AdCom. One person mentioned that if you don't hear back before your deadline, you can assume that you didn't receive any scholarships. Another person I spoke to mentioned that it is possible for you to receive scholarships after the deadline, but it's less common.

I did receive $20k in aid from McCombs ($10k per year). I was told I had a scholarship in the admit phone call, but not what it was. I got the scholarship email a week before my decision deadline. From what I've heard I think wassabisai is correct in that not hearing about scholarships before your decision deadline means one has not received one.

You can always check with the AdCom too, esp if the scholarship will make a difference in whether you will attend McCombs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated. I applied to McCombs about three days before the 2nd round "deadline." I received an interview invite about a week later and interviewed with an alumni a few weeks after that. I felt that the interview went well and the interviewer continued to say things like "when you are at McCombs..." which led me to believe he felt I was a good candidate. Last Wed, I received a notice that I was waitlisted. I've heard from friends that Austin has been known to reject or waitlist people they do not think will accept an offer. My GMAT score is a little higher than their average (730) and some of my other stats are higher but I was surprised hearing that might be a reaction from their Adcom. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts around this. Have others with higher than average GMATs been waitlisted or rejected? I have an offer from Berkeley and am planning on accepting it but wanted to have options and was seriously considering McCombs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I received an email that a decision had been made this morning. I logged in to check, and I am .... waitlisted. sigh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Were most people on this forum (who got a scholarship of some sort) told that they had a scholarship with they got their admissions call? If that is the case, then I will definitely stop holding my breath...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MerBiz wrote:
Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated. I applied to McCombs about three days before the 2nd round "deadline." I received an interview invite about a week later and interviewed with an alumni a few weeks after that. I felt that the interview went well and the interviewer continued to say things like "when you are at McCombs..." which led me to believe he felt I was a good candidate. Last Wed, I received a notice that I was waitlisted. I've heard from friends that Austin has been known to reject or waitlist people they do not think will accept an offer. My GMAT score is a little higher than their average (730) and some of my other stats are higher but I was surprised hearing that might be a reaction from their Adcom. I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts around this. Have others with higher than average GMATs been waitlisted or rejected? I have an offer from Berkeley and am planning on accepting it but wanted to have options and was seriously considering McCombs.

I have also been put on the waitlist. My GMAT is higher than their average and I have heard/or read on this blog that Austin will WL people they don't expect to accept their offer, which I think is totally bogus. When I toured the campus they talked about how they want to increase the visibility of the program rise the in rankings, but their approach to WL top applicats in order to control their yield prob will not help them achieve that. Austin was my first choice, but having been WL I will begin to consider my other options much more seriously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Tuck (accepted), HBS (ding), Kellogg (WL), McCombs (accepted)
Send PM
mbaBoundGal wrote:
Were most people on this forum (who got a scholarship of some sort) told that they had a scholarship with they got their admissions call? If that is the case, then I will definitely stop holding my breath...

No. I wasn't told that I had a scholarship in my admit call, but received an email a few weeks after saying I had been awarded $10k per year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
For those of you admitted, when is the acceptance deadline?

cheers,
tom
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  57   58   59   60   61  ...  70   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts