Last visit was: 02 Jun 2024, 09:41 It is currently 02 Jun 2024, 09:41
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot for a valuable advice about putting a deposit up and then waiting what life will bring with the second school.

My biggest issue is that I equally like both schools for different things that they have to offer - eg. finance curriculum versus case study approach.

To make it even more complex, it also involves considerations such as future employment for my husband who is works in biotech research, choice between a huge city where a girl can wear a decent pair of shoes to a good theater - for school A and a smaller sleepier town with lower costs and an opportunity to bike almost everywhere for school B.

Anyway, your support, as always, is greatly appreciated.

h.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
kosyura wrote:
Thanks a lot for a valuable advice about putting a deposit up and then waiting what life will bring with the second school.

My biggest issue is that I equally like both schools for different things that they have to offer - eg. finance curriculum versus case study approach.

To make it even more complex, it also involves considerations such as future employment for my husband who is works in biotech research, choice between a huge city where a girl can wear a decent pair of shoes to a good theater - for school A and a smaller sleepier town with lower costs and an opportunity to bike almost everywhere for school B.

Anyway, your support, as always, is greatly appreciated.

h.

you're most welcome. I also forgot to congratulate you so I'll do so now. Congratulations!

Multiple acceptances certainly beats multiple rejections. As long as the deposit isn't too large it strikes me as a good way to go. It will buy you time and perhaps with time will come clarity. AT least you will be able to see where your husband gets a job.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello All,

and the saga continues.

Last week when I was on assignment in West Africa my hubby sent a deposit check for to my school A (Rotman at University of Toronto) to meet the deadline of March 5th and secure a spot in the program.

Two days later I got an admit from my school B (Ivey, at U of Western Ontario), who also offered me a significant dean's entrance award which would cover about 35% of total tuition for the two years.

Factors to consider:
- school quality and rankings
- intangible, yet incredibly important 'fit'
- place to live (Toronto versus London, Ontario)
- money (incuding scholarships, non-refundable deposits and cost of living)

I am as confused as ever about which one to choose but will have to do it over the next week...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not to punt the question back to you but many of these considerations are highly dependent on your own subjective observations. These schools are essentially in the same cluster among Canadian schools so "rank" does not seem particularly important (Toronto has slightly higher admissions values- we could go into far more detail if you are interested). Moreover, the two schools share similar placement records. Accordingly, I would place the most weight on your "fit" with the campus/metro area and school itself.
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
kosyura wrote:
Hello All,

and the saga continues.

Last week when I was on assignment in West Africa my hubby sent a deposit check for to my school A (Rotman at University of Toronto) to meet the deadline of March 5th and secure a spot in the program.

Two days later I got an admit from my school B (Ivey, at U of Western Ontario), who also offered me a significant dean's entrance award which would cover about 35% of total tuition for the two years.

Factors to consider:
- school quality and rankings
- intangible, yet incredibly important 'fit'
- place to live (Toronto versus London, Ontario)
- money (incuding scholarships, non-refundable deposits and cost of living)

I am as confused as ever about which one to choose but will have to do it over the next week...

I suggest you look at professional opportunity, recruiting and placement first. If there is a difference, then factor in the cost difference, and then look at where you would prefer to be in terms of the education and living place.

See also "Multipe Acceptances"

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello again,

A bit of info to provide a 'closure' to the story. Rotman at University of Toronto it will be. It really did take a lot of thinking to make this decision - and thank you so much, Hjort and Linda, for helpful insights.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1543 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats kosyura, I actually had a chance to visit both schools. Had I decided to do an MBA, they definitely would have been 2 of my target schools. Do you think that you got the scholarship based on your GMAT score? I very much thought that had I waited 1 more year, I would also have got some kind of scholarship :?
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
kosyura wrote:
Hello again,

A bit of info to provide a 'closure' to the story. Rotman at University of Toronto it will be. It really did take a lot of thinking to make this decision - and thank you so much, Hjort and Linda, for helpful insights.

You're most welcome. Best wishes for your success at Rotman.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul wrote:
Congrats kosyura, I actually had a chance to visit both schools. Had I decided to do an MBA, they definitely would have been 2 of my target schools. Do you think that you got the scholarship based on your GMAT score? I very much thought that had I waited 1 more year, I would also have got some kind of scholarship :?

Hi Paul,

thanks for the warm words. Rotman is a great school that I was really impressed with and Toronto is an interesting place to spend next 2 years.

As to the scholarship - I really don't know what was the key factor. My GMAT wasn't that high - I scored only 720. My hunch tells me that it was more the unusual background (I am consultant in microfinance with work experience in 20+ countries ) and focus on social issues that were appealing to Adcom from a diversity perspective. But then, who knows.

Obviously, I can not complain at all :lol: , but it would be great if schools had more transparent criteria for awarding entrance scholarships.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Guys,

There was a time when GMAT seemed like the worst thing that could have happened. There was time when making a decision about which school to go was the most difficult one. Thanks everyone for the incredible support with these. This forum has been invaluable!

At this point of time, 6 weeks of an MBA program, my perspective has seriously changed. Now, It's all about surviving in the middle of the brigtest, the strongest and the most competetive crowd ever. Midterms are starting tomorrow, with stats, accounting, mpo, economics all crammed into meager 5 days, barely 5 hours of sleep a day, and lots of incredible fun. Talk about the real workload!

I just wanted to post this message to say that it's worth every bit of trouble to get into school. I'm also writing a blog for my school at

https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/mba/stude ... %20Kosyura

if you want a bit of inside perspective of how great of a B-school Rotman at University of Toronto is!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]