Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
 Q36  V31 GMAT 2: 730  Q48  V42
WE 1: 3 years hotel industry sales and marketing France
WE 2: 3 years financial industry marketing UK
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:R1: Berkeley, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Kellogg, Duke
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink]
Hi All - where is everyone doing KWEST?
Manager
Manager
Schools:Haas (WL), Kellogg (matricultating), Stanford (R2, ding), Columbia (ding)
Send PM
For all those who have issues connecting to the admitted student site: seems that it may be a browser issue. I was trying to connect with Chrome and it didn't work, but works with Safari. So try different browser, it might work!
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Today is THE day !

What is your top choice guys?? I'll be putting BRAZILLLLLLLL on top!

Autralia seems good, but I'm international, will arrive in the US by August 15 (first jet lag) then if I go to Autralia on the 20, back on 27 (second jet lag).... I don't want to be tired during CIM week.
I'll try to choose latin am. or caribbean countries.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah same here, will choose all in latin america!

I won't be able to log in to register at the time it opens today... I hope there will still be some seats left after 30mins or so!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
I actually chose brazil #1 too.. i was able to submit everything within 2 minutes :)
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
wooh
2 minutes for everything, including credit card info??
It took me about 7 min !!

Hope to see you for Brazil trip then :)
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
I have a question here for Riverripper (or any Kellogg grad)

What are the classes you would highly recommend based on the teachers? (ie which teachers do you consider ROCK STARS)

1) Steve Rogers
2) Kotler
3) ....
4) ....

I will try to taillor my classes based on the teachers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
I have a question here for Riverripper (or any Kellogg grad)

What are the classes you would highly recommend based on the teachers? (ie which teachers do you consider ROCK STARS)

1) Steve Rogers
2) Kotler
3) ....
4) ....

I will try to taillor my classes based on the teachers.

Once you have access to the Serial (student intranet), which you may already be able to access with your netid and password, you can look up the TCEs (professor and course evals) to see which professors are highest ranked and the course bidding results to see which professors students are willing to dump a lot of points for (both available under Course Information). From my experience and from talking to other students, the top professors, by dept, are: Rogers (Fin), Rebelo (Fin), Hennessy (Mktg), Calkins (Mktg), Grayson (Mktg), Besanko (Mgmt), Kraemer (Mgmt), Allon (Ops), Sawhney (Tech), McKeon (DECS), Galinsky (MORS), Medvec (MORS). Also, Financial Decisions (Fin-D), is widely considered a "must-take" course regardless of which professor is teaching. Kotler typically doesn't teach MBA courses, although he usually gives 1-2 talks a year that are open to all students.

Beyond the professors I've mentioned there are a lot of very good professors that are great teachers and who you will learn a lot from. The ones I've listed are the best of the best - that consistently get TCEs over 9.5 (out of 10) or consistently get nominated for awards (Faculty Impact, Professor of the Year, etc.). My suggestion to you is to think first about what courses you want to take while you're at Kellogg, then think secondarily about professors (ie delay taking a course until next quarter if a much better professor will be teaching it). In part, you want to make sure that you don't miss out on a good course just because it doesn't have a rockstar professor, but also the way course bidding works you won't be able to afford taking all rockstars (some professors I've listed *cough* Rogers *cough* Medvec *cough* can use up 1/2 your annual point allotment just for 1 class).
Current Student
Send PM
kwest assignments are up! that was super fast, wasn't expecting to hear anything until much later
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
bpengage wrote:
kwest assignments are up! that was super fast, wasn't expecting to hear anything until much later

hey dude no one is allowed to talk about quest :-D

All I can say is that I didn't get my first choices... :(
Current Student
Send PM
For all Kellogg current students and alumni, I have two random questions that I thought of recently:

- What type of clothes do most students wear to class? When I was doing research for bschools, I read somewhere that one school requires students to dress up business casual. Never heard that about Kellogg, but was wondering what your experience overall was

- Is there a cafeteria or something similar that all business school students eat at? Or do people just eat at all the local restaurants for lunch/dinner?

Thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
bpengage wrote:
For all Kellogg current students and alumni, I have two random questions that I thought of recently:

- What type of clothes do most students wear to class? When I was doing research for bschools, I read somewhere that one school requires students to dress up business casual. Never heard that about Kellogg, but was wondering what your experience overall was

- Is there a cafeteria or something similar that all business school students eat at? Or do people just eat at all the local restaurants for lunch/dinner?

Thanks!

Most students dress casually, although students will dress business casual if they are attending company presentations during the day.

There are a couple quick food options inside Jacobs for people that are stuck at school. Local restaurants are a couple blocks away. Some students also go to the Norris Center (the undergraduate student union), which is nearby.
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
boogs wrote:

There are a couple quick food options inside Jacobs for people that are stuck at school. Local restaurants are a couple blocks away. Some students also go to the Norris Center (the undergraduate student union), which is nearby.

The wise 2nd years also know that a few of the places in Evanston will deliver food to Jacobs, so if you can't leave Jacobs you can get outside food brought to you. The food options in Jacobs can get tiresome and while I like going to hang out with the undergrads in Norris as much as the next guy, in January and February it's not worth walking across campus for.
Current Student
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Hi Jerz
I have a some questions regarding academics at Kellogg.

It is said that we need a minimun of 24.5 courses for graduation. The core courses accounting for nine.
1) Technically, is it possible to have 40 or 50 courses credits? (there are a lot of courses I'm interested in, I now I won't have time but...)

2) Assuming that the bidding system allows you to have all the course you want, what's the max number of course one can take per quarter?

3) it seems to me that some courses can be taken by 1st AND 2nd year students! Is it common that some 1st year and 2nd students take the same course? how are work groups organized in such case?

thanks
VP
VP
Send PM
madeinafrica wrote:
Hi Jerz
I have a some questions regarding academics at Kellogg.

It is said that we need a minimun of 24.5 courses for graduation. The core courses accounting for nine.
1) Technically, is it possible to have 40 or 50 courses credits? (there are a lot of courses I'm interested in, I now I won't have time but...)

2) Assuming that the bidding system allows you to have all the course you want, what's the max number of course one can take per quarter?

3) it seems to me that some courses can be taken by 1st AND 2nd year students! Is it common that some 1st year and 2nd students take the same course? how are work groups organized in such case?

thanks

It's not possible to take more than 5 classes a quarter, so the most you would be able to graduate with is 30. The tuition we pay covers 3-5 classes per quarter. Less than three you're no longer considered a full-time student (which is bad from a financial aid standpoint), more than five and you're paying extra for each extra course (at about $5000 per course). To be honest, even trying to get 30 classes is probably not a good idea anyway. The workload for 5 classes is significant and generally isn't a good idea during recruiting or other times when you'll have a lot going on outside the classroom. In addition, the more you're focused on academics, the more likely you'll miss out on the outside the classroom activities (clubs, speakers, friends, etc.) that make the MBA so fulfilling. Purely from a practical standpoint, the bidding system will not allow you to register for more than 5 classes per quarter and, even if it did, since you only get a fixed amount of bid points each year you probably wouldn't be able to afford more than 5 each quarter anyway. Especially if those extra classes you want are popular electives. Bschool, like life, is about tradeoffs. You won't be able to take all the classes you want to take while you're at Kellogg. Pick the ones that are most important to you, and try to waive as many core classes as possible to maximize the electives you can take. Most of the people I know ended up graduating with between 24.5-26 credits.

Except for the core classes (which need to be complete by the end of first year), all classes are open to both first and second years. Some classes have a 2nd year preference which, while I don't know the mechanics of how it works, makes it easier for 2nd years to get into the class if demand>available seats. But even with that it's pretty common in elective classes to have a mix. In terms of group work, it depends on the class. Most elective classes let you form your own groups while some classes have groups assigned by the professor. When students can form their own groups, they tend to form groups with people from their own class - just because they're probably closer with them already and/or are more familiar with how they work in groups. Assigned groups are usually mixed between 1st/2nd years. It's really not a big deal - the 1st and 2nd year classes aren't really segregated and because of clubs and things like KWEST and CIM a lot of 2nd years are already friends with 1st years and vice versa. In a group nobody cares if you're a 1st year or 2nd year as long as you're contributing to the group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Does anyone know if the exact CIM / pre-term timeline is posted somewhere or can any current students give an idea of what the days during pre-term are like?

To add a very specific question to the mix, part of the motivation here is I have a friend coming to town on the last day of CIM (Sunday?) and staying for a few days through labor day. After CIM week, is it feasible that I'd have 1/2 day blocks to show my friend around town or are things still ridiculously busy from dawn til dusk during MORS?
Current Student
Send PM
BlackSwan wrote:
Does anyone know if the exact CIM / pre-term timeline is posted somewhere or can any current students give an idea of what the days during pre-term are like?

To add a very specific question to the mix, part of the motivation here is I have a friend coming to town on the last day of CIM (Sunday?) and staying for a few days through labor day. After CIM week, is it feasible that I'd have 1/2 day blocks to show my friend around town or are things still ridiculously busy from dawn til dusk during MORS?

After CIM week, you still have MORS for 3 hrs per day. I know they are revamping the schedule a bit next year, but I believe you will still have MORS in one half of each day, and some sort of training session (safety, career, tech, etc) in the other half. So I'd guess you will be busy until 4 or 5 each day in week 2.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9