Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Got a call for interview. The dates I was given as options are in late August ... which make the IMD application process 3 months+. Is this typical?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
tobian wrote:
Got a call for interview. The dates I was given as options are in late August ... which make the IMD application process 3 months+. Is this typical?

I guess most of adcom is on vacation in July and perhaps in August, that's why it takes so long to get through in this particular admission round.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ligett wrote:
I guess most of adcom is on vacation in July and perhaps in August, that's why it takes so long to get through in this particular admission round.

Good point. That timeline is kind of problematic for the purpose of weighing options with other schools. Oh well.
Intern
Intern
Schools:IMD MBA 2012
Send PM
I just got their call and scheduled an interview for the 26th of August. Anyone else on the same date?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,

got invterview call for R3 on 19th Aug. Anyone in Laussane for same day?

cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mine on the 26th
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I'm a round 2 admit, and thought it might be worth me posting the interview day experience for the benefit of those interviewing in round 3 - it seems that the interviews aren't until August, so this isn't too late, hopefully.

I interviewed in Lausanne on 31st May in a group of 7 (which also included birdy76). The group was rather diverse with ages from 27 to 34, nationalities as varied as Indian (myself), Finnish, American, Australian, Chilean, Polish and Canadian.

It was a rainy day and I barely made it in time to IMD and the AdCom reached the reception about 2 seconds after me! As the day started, the AdCom took us to the cafeteria near the reception and gave us our individual schedules (which were also emailed out in advance). Then we were taken to the modern Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Center via a sneak peak of the MBA auditoriums.

2 of the 7 then went for their 1-2-1 interviews and the other 5, including me, were given 35 minutes to work on the impromptu presentation. (Note: It is 35 minutes, not 30, because the "instructions are a bit longer this year.") My advice on this would be to not make it too complex - just ensure that you read the info well, and answer every question that they ask. Pretty much everyone followed a different presentation structure, but personally, I used the questions at the end of the info to aid the structure of my presentation. The key skills that they assess (this is my personal opinion) are logic and flow, thought process, structuring, confidence, presentation skills, how well you can present key points simply and succinctly. After 30 mins, the AdCom came around to tell us that we had 5 minutes left to go. Another point of note is that you work using transparencies, coloured pens and overhead projectors, not PowerPoint.

After this, 2 out of us 5 went for their 1-2-1s and 3 of us had a break, while the other 2 (who had completed their 1-2-1s) worked on their impromptu presentations. Then, after about 45 minutes, another candidate and I went for our 1-2-1s (1 of us 7 had to wait right until the end of the day for his 1-2-1). My 1-2-1 lasted about 45 minutes, it was very conversational and rather pleasant. There were no "Surprise me!" or "A man goes to the shoe shop every Saturday morning..." questions. There were again a lot of questions trying to assess you as a person - for example, I work for the Royal Mail, the UK's national postal operator, which has been in the press a lot in terms of being privatised and I had an opinion on the direction/mode of this privatisation and she asked me what the basis of my opinion was and how I would explain that to Joe Bloggs. She also scratched a bit more below the surface of my application essays - I had used the same example for my failure and my most important achievement (the failure was encountered on the way to the achievement) and she asked me why. She was satisfied with the response, but asked me to provide an example of another failure - I think this was probably the most unexpected part of the interview, but I improvised and rescued the situation. Overall, I got very good vibes from the interview, and we ran out of time before she could finish her questions, so I did not get an opportunity to ask her any questions. And yes, be prepared for a question on what you don't like about IMD.

After this, we reconvened into a room, and had to make our presentations one after the other. They did not set an order and asked us to decide amongst ourselves - I volunteered to go first, but soon after almost everyone offered to go first. As it happened, I went last. The thing to remember, 5 minutes means 5 minutes - they let you know when 4 have gone, but will stop you dead on 5. I finished my presentation in 3-and-a-quarter minutes - so, if you think you have made all your points, there is no reason to stretch to the whole 5 - you risk losing key points in the detail. (I always think back to the Bill Clinton "Its the economy, stupid." campaign - if you say three things, you're not saying anything at all.) Make sure you have a clear recommendation.

So, when we had finished our presentations, they introduced additional information and this time, asked us to collectively work on a 5 min prez. From memory, they gave us 30 mins to do this. They stayed for a few mins to observe the group dynamics. In addition to the issue at hand, we grappled with a couple of other things - how to make the presentation, how many people, etc. - we decided one person worked best as it provided good flow and luckily we had 1 out of 7, who had clearly the best presentation skills as seen through the impromptu prez. In the end, I think the "flow" wasn't as well as we would have liked, because the points on the slide were from 7 people and the 1 person making the presentation wasn't exactly fully conversant with every single point, given the short time to come up with the presentation.

After the presentation, the two AdCom members asked us how we came up with the recommendation and why we did not consider alternative options - initially, the questions were directed at individuals, but some were thrown open to the group. I felt it was quite important to give credit - for example, if you were asked a question the answer to which lay in a point made by a fellow candidate during the discussion, you should give credit when responding.

Then we had lunch with our individual hosts - they normally try and pair you with someone from the same nationality/background, but it was difficult due to the interview falling during the ICP week. My host was a French guy who had been working in India for several years. Contrary to what you might have heard, the lunch is not assessed.

After lunch, before the group exercise, we had Martha (the MBA Programme Director) come into the room to answer questions. Martha, the AdCom, and Professor Benoit Leleux (who conducted the case study exercise) were very candid in answering our questions.

Then, for the last part, the case study, we were split into two groups, one of 3 people, and the other of 4. We were sent away for a bit (I think half an hour, but can't remember too well) to come back with answers to four specific questions. If you do your normal case study analysis (PEST, SWOT, Advantanges/Disadvantages, NPV analysis, etc.), you should have all the ammunition ready to answer these questions, but I must stress, that getting the answer is not what is being assessed. We had different AdCom members come in and go out of our rooms to observe the discussions. After a while, we reconvened in the room and there were a few more questions and answers and more exploring below the surface to see if we could deduce the less obvious points of the case study.

It wouldn't be wrong to say we were all completely drained by the end of the day, which, however, was very worthwhile. I know 5 out of us 7 received offers, with no information about 1. Basically, there is no set quota and if all candidates are good, all will receive an offer. Remember, you are not competing against each other and everyone is assessed on an individual basis.

I've tried to provide as detailed an account as possible, but if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

And GOOD LUCK!
Manager
Manager
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Send PM
Can you be more detailed about the presentation and the topic and what is expected in general when doing the presentation. How many people is the presentation addressed to ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
scbguy wrote:
Can you be more detailed about the presentation and the topic and what is expected in general when doing the presentation. How many people is the presentation addressed to ?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi scbguy,

All the other candidates in your group and the two AdCom members are present when making the presentation. In my case, this made up a group of 8.

In terms of the topic, I'm a bit hesitant to reveal it, even though I'm sure that they have a few different ones and what you get would very much be determined by the luck of the draw. Suffice to say it would be a relatively simple business situation, for example, a company has a few products - which one should it concentrate on, a company can buy one out of two targets - which one should it go for, a company needs to rationalise and cut costs - which is the best option out of those highlighted.

In terms of what is expected, I can only reiterate what I said before:
- Logic and flow: for example, the task is to increase profitability, you start by decomposing profit into revenue and costs, then you identify cost is the problem area, then you decompose cost and work out where you have slack and then make your recommendation to the company on what to cut and how
- Structuring: many possibilities, but I used the questions that they'd asked and had 1 slide on Intro, 3 each for the 3 questions and 1 for Conclusion and Recommendation
- Confidence and Presentation Skills: what it says on the tin really - whether you can stand and deliver impromptu in a situation you know you are being assessed in
- Brevity: whether you can use the time in the most efficient manner to make all relevant points

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask if you need any further info.

Good luck,
Aman
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Aman, thank you for the details on the presentation, but let me pose a few more questions to you
A) your assumptions relating to structuring, decomposition etc are all thought through the point of view of a consultant/ business major. So am I to assume that the emphasis is on the conclusion rather than presentation skills ?
B) I had read somewhere that PowerPoint is not the medium for presentations? So what is then ?

And can you tell me your profile please and why IMD ? Thanks

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
scbguy wrote:
Hey Aman, thank you for the details on the presentation, but let me pose a few more questions to you
A) your assumptions relating to structuring, decomposition etc are all thought through the point of view of a consultant/ business major. So am I to assume that the emphasis is on the conclusion rather than presentation skills ?
B) I had read somewhere that PowerPoint is not the medium for presentations? So what is then ?

And can you tell me your profile please and why IMD ? Thanks

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

A) I'm not sure I fully understand your question (not sure what you mean by "thought through from the point of view of a consultant/business major"), but will try to answer as best as I can. I think the thought process/logic/flow is probably the most important aspect. In our group of 7, my conclusion was completely different to everyone else. What I mean to say is that there is no "right" conclusion - its like A > B and B > C, therefore, A > C. Presentation skills are pretty important, I believe, from what I hear, as it is a core part of the course. But, I don't think presentation skills are the most important element - its content first, then the packaging.
B) You'll need to hand-prepare your presentations on transparencies using coloured pens. You present using an overhead projector.

In terms of profile, I'm 30/M/Indian, 760 GMAT, First Degree from India, Masters from the UK, around 8 years of Work Exp mostly in the UK but including international assignments, in Audit, Consulting and Corporate Finance, ACA, CFA, Speak English, Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi and Urdu.

A number of common reasons for joining IMD (class size, diversity, 1 year course, intensity, more "mature" class, small but extremely helpful alumni network, career services, etc.) have been recounted on these forums on several occasions. Amongst other things, what stood out for me was the ability to do a top notch personalised MBA - given the class size of 90 and ability to get very close to the faculty and the diversity as well as quality of other participants, it really is possible to take away exactly what you want from the MBA (within certain constraints). To me, this is why every IMD MBA is unique, not a standardised factory product.

I strongly suggest that everyone attends the one-day on campus introduction to IMD (even if one isn't planning on doing an MBA, it is an experience to remember). It was this campus visit the really showed me what an IMD MBA was all about and made my decision for me.

Hope this helps, but as always, don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Aman
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Firstly, your profile is king :). I wish I get a 760 :). Secondly, very inspiring as well and I will definitely attend their campus event, it's already on my to do list. Needless to say I'm still in a grey area regarding the presentation but I guess the unknown is the aim of the school. Cheers and let me know the decision regarding your admission.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Aman: you did an excellent summary of the assessment day! It was exactly what happened on our May 24th assessment except we were only 6 candidates: 3 russians, 1 japanese, 1 greek and myself - vietnamese and our assessment day was a sunny day :lol: .
As Aman said, I think there is no set quota as the our day's results were 2A/2WL/2D.
For the impromptu presentation, I really think the key is the presentation skill. Of course, the content needs to followed a logical flow; however, I don't think the adcom really look at the outcomes of our analysis. 6 of us came with 6 ways of presentation, analysis and conclusions which were all extremely interesting. It's really the power of diversity that IMD looks for, isn't it ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Wow! Thanks Aman for posting detailed account of interview. Very very helpful. Any other Indian that you are aware of who is accepted so far?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
scbguy wrote:
Firstly, your profile is king :). I wish I get a 760 :). Secondly, very inspiring as well and I will definitely attend their campus event, it's already on my to do list. Needless to say I'm still in a grey area regarding the presentation but I guess the unknown is the aim of the school. Cheers and let me know the decision regarding your admission.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Thanks, and I was admitted in Round 2.

When are you looking to apply? The campus event is held every 2 months (I think) and is limited to 8 people at a time (again, a very personalised event - when I went to visit INSEAD, there were 250 people there). Also, from the MBA portal, I see that 49 participants (out of 90) have already been confirmed from just the first two rounds, so I'd advise to apply as soon as you can, if you're aiming for a seat in the class of 2012.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
menehn wrote:
Aman: you did an excellent summary of the assessment day! It was exactly what happened on our May 24th assessment except we were only 6 candidates: 3 russians, 1 japanese, 1 greek and myself - vietnamese and our assessment day was a sunny day :lol: .
As Aman said, I think there is no set quota as the our day's results were 2A/2WL/2D.
For the impromptu presentation, I really think the key is the presentation skill. Of course, the content needs to followed a logical flow; however, I don't think the adcom really look at the outcomes of our analysis. 6 of us came with 6 ways of presentation, analysis and conclusions which were all extremely interesting. It's really the power of diversity that IMD looks for, isn't it ;)

Menehn,

You may be right - as I said, it was only my personal opinion. I do not believe at all that the conclusion is assessed, but how you get to the conclusion (i.e., thought process and logic), along with how you present it. In our group, the person with the best presentation skills (who we nominated for our group presentation) was actually not accepted, and some of the others were.

Overall, it is the whole package that is being assessed, so if one is slightly weak in one department, but can bring something exceptional to the table in another, then I'm sure that they will be accepted (diversity conditions permitting, of course).

Aman
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aman, good luck with your endeavors. I plan to apply for the class of 2013 so will apply next year, right now GMAT prep is on ;). I hope to see you in Lausanne when I come for the campus visit. Cheers

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts