Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 11:28 It is currently 07 May 2024, 11:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Financing MBA: School credit w/o cosigners [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Guys,

This is a great idea of Vorskl to pull this info together. A couple of comments based on my experience at MIT Sloan:

1) There are laws in the US controlling what schools can and cannot say about loans. My experience has been that most schools will only go so far as to say "Over the past three years, our students have used loans from the following companies". What this means, rather frustratingly sometimes, is that if a school has a good loan programme for international students, you have to sift through a lot of stuff, do a lot of digging, to find out.

2) At MIT Sloan specifically, such loans are available from the MIT Federal Credit Union, covering the whole cost of tuition and the school's estimated living expenses, as shown on MIT Sloan's website. These living expenses are somewhat meagre, and don't include optional international treks, but it is possible to *survive* on them. The loan rate for international students without cosigner is US Prime + 2.75%, with a 0.25% discount if you set up automatic payments. US Prime is currently 3.25%. Full details are at: https://mitsloan.studentchoice.org/node/3

3) More broadly, studentchoice.org administers a lot of school loan programmes via Credit Unions. Searching Google for "School Name" site:studentchoice.org can bring up school-specific credit union results. (e.g. Harvard, Wharton). Note: It's not clear to me if all of these loans are directly linked to the school, or if some of them are independent initiatives. After all, MBA students are pretty bankable.

4) When doing this spreadsheet, consider:
- Are the rates variable or fixed? If they're variable, what are they tied to?
- Are there any Draw Fees?
- Can the principal balance be repaid at any time fee-free?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
myself ashish from India , from a middleclass family taking a loan [100%fees]and thought to do mba in usa ,i have few questions
[1]is mba from average university in usa is worth to be taken as loan to pay tuition fees or there is hamburger of universities like scene in India and one cant pay loan so easily
[2]in order to pay loan i have to remain in usa for long time [as there is currency difference and if i come to india i cant pay loan],and to stay in usa i have to file h1b during opt status ,what are chances of this narration as of international student previous experience in this regard
[3]IS only top ranking 15 business school in usa fruitful in my case ,if yes their 2years tuition fee is around 100 k but i donot have that money and i have to take loan do they provide loan for international student?
[4] is scholar ship available .please comment
[5]my email id is -agodara97@yahoo.in
[6] my phone is 09460550497
[7]does international student placements are there in usa in top business school
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i am an international student and want to do mba from usa top business school and i require a loan from usa business school for international student . if any one have a list of business school that provide educational loan without a cosigner plaese forward to me .if any other international student facing same situation please personal message me so that we can search together i am from india please give your email id my email is agodara97@yahoo.in
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
ashish3 wrote:
i am an international student and want to do mba from usa top business school and i require a loan from usa business school for international student . if any one have a list of business school that provide educational loan without a cosigner plaese forward to me .if any other international student facing same situation please personal message me so that we can search together i am from india please give your email id my email is agodara97@yahoo.in

dude read the first post and download the xls file.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
usa mba and taking loan without a cosigner [#permalink]
i am an international student preparing for gmat ,i believe a good gmat score along with a good profile makes me to a good businees school,but when i see that tution fee of 2years in good business school[harvard wharton],i quote it at around 1lakh thousand dollars and around 40000dollars of living expenses
i donot have that money to pay to college as so iam looking for loan option , as being not having a usa cosigner that is most times needed for loan for international student
i am looking at athose mba businees school which either provide loan without cosigner [to pay tution fee] to international student,if you have list of that shortlisted university please forward to me
or student in my situation personal message me so that we can serach thogether by making a group
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have just received a letter from the NY Stern saying they do not provide no co-signer loans at the moment, though they are working on it...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2131 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
ozwizard wrote:
I have just received a letter from the NY Stern saying they do not provide no co-signer loans at the moment, though they are working on it...

would you apply?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
don't think so... do not have neither money nor a US co-signer )
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS, Booth, Tuck, Fuqua, LBS
GPA: 2.15
WE 1: International 4 years Industry
Send PM
INSEAD offers loan via Prodigy finance but it is almost impossible to finance the full cost of attendance most likely not even full tuition.

Why is it written Some for Sloan in the excel sheet? As far as I know they provide full cost of attendance to intl stds w/out a cosigner. No?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
alobar00 wrote:
INSEAD offers loan via Prodigy finance but it is almost impossible to finance the full cost of attendance most likely not even full tuition.

Why is it written Some for Sloan in the excel sheet? As far as I know they provide full cost of attendance to intl stds w/out a cosigner. No?

Sloan offers full cost of tuition + living expenses with no US co-signer via the MIT Federal Credit Union.

I expect the reason why 'some' is listed in the spreadsheet is because of an earlier comment I made that the loan does not cover optional international treks that some students choose to take. Whilst these are great fun and I'd highly recommend them - doing these treks isn't a formal part of completing your studies, and plenty of people don't do them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
updated info for INSEAD and Sloan
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
ozwizard wrote:

Vorski : Could you please update the xls for stern
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hi Vorski,Could you also let me know about SAID and LBS in UK. Said has a tieup qith PRODIGY, the same org, that provides loans for INSEAD without requiring a co-signor . Now as someone on this thread stated that INSEAD provides 90 % of the tution cost , would you expect the same for SAID ?
What about Tuck ? You said the Loan without co-signor is Limited .
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Commendable job by Vorski and the guy who started this thread . KUDOS to everyone who contributed positively on this thread
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Looks like Columbia ceased offering non-cosigner loans for internationals and that is becoming a tendency among the top US schools (Stern). I am wondering why?

With MBA loan interest rates topping 6-7-8% in USD I don't think availability of money is the issue. US guys, what is a typical mortage/car loan rate? I'd assume around 3-4%? If so, for banks MBA loan shall appear more attractive than mortage or consumer credits.

My bet is that a defaul rate is growing steady, thus schools are facing more and more issues with unguaranteed unreturned loans, thus they are phasing out these programs.

Check this https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... kings-2011 (click on 'employment'). There are some REALLY SCARY numbers on employment among top school graduates. To name a few:
Duke - 77%
IMD - 83%
INSEAD - 82%
Ross - 78%
Wharton - 84 (!)

Also, there is intersting stat is on Salary increase. Looks like attending Haas, IMD and some other schools actually decreases your salary :?:
Verbal Forum Moderator
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Vorskl wrote:
Looks like Columbia ceased offering non-cosigner loans for internationals and that is becoming a tendency among the top US schools (Stern). I am wondering why?

With MBA loan interest rates topping 6-7-8% in USD I don't think availability of money is the issue. US guys, what is a typical mortage/car loan rate? I'd assume around 3-4%? If so, for banks MBA loan shall appear more attractive than mortage or consumer credits.

My bet is that a defaul rate is growing steady, thus schools are facing more and more issues with unguaranteed unreturned loans, thus they are phasing out these programs.

Check this https://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... kings-2011 (click on 'employment'). There are some REALLY SCARY numbers on employment among top school graduates. To name a few:
Duke - 77%
IMD - 83%
INSEAD - 82%
Ross - 78%
Wharton - 84 (!)

Also, there is intersting stat is on Salary increase. Looks like attending Haas, IMD and some other schools actually decreases your salary :?:

What about Darden ? Your excel sheet says Darden does give private loans without requiring a co-signor
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
very useful file. Thanks.
Also Yale provides a loan w/o co-signer.
Wharton did until this year but is changing its lender.
you might want to update that info.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4