Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 23:37 It is currently 02 May 2024, 23:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
It is really quiet on here in comparison to last year. I would've expected much more activity around now. But most of the thread's (except CBS) have been slow. I wonder if it has much to do with the overall decrease in applications this year. It also seems that a lot of people are either in or just taking the GMAT and almost everyone I spoke to at Discover Stern was aiming for round 2. As for myself I'm looking at round 1, I'm done all of my core essays as well as NYU and Cornell. Im writing drafts from Emory, USC, and UCLA right now and want to have them done by the Friday before the deadline.

Question for all: How many Consortium schools are people applying to? I'm looking at 5, but in speaking with a lot of people they said they wouldn't do any more than 4 as schools ranked 5 and 6 would hold that against you during admissions to protect their yield? Has anyone else heard this or have any thoughts on it?

And how was JMB at Cornell for all who went?

@mixedin86: are you still looking at Stern, I remember you applying to discover stern a while back

I'm not applying to Stern anymore, after not being invited to Discover Stern I figured it would be difficult to write the essays about the school and even more difficult to land a Consortium Fellowship there. I tried to stick to schools where I have a decent shot at a Fellowship (minus Haas) because if I don't land one I won't be going to Business School in 2012.

I'm applying to 6 schools although I have heard the same thing as you in regards to schools ranked 5 & 6 wanting to protect their yield. I'm only applying through the Consortium so I figured I might as well max it out and see what happens. I'm really only in love with two of the schools i'm applying to anyways.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
I'm in for Ross and Kenan Flagler, targeting the Nov 15th deadline. Same here- most folks I have met are targetting R2.. I understand there may be no difference in rounds but I just wanna get this out of the way.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
mbalady wrote:
I'm in for Ross and Kenan Flagler, targeting the Nov 15th deadline. Same here- most folks I have met are targetting R2.. I understand there may be no difference in rounds but I just wanna get this out of the way.

I hope to finish everything by Nov 15. I am done with two Consortium essays and two school specific essays. Now I have 4 more school-specific essay and then the consortium essay. Will shoot for R2 if I don't make it.

I just don't know whether its a good idea to send my R2 application a few days after the Nov 15 deadline. Adcoms will be busy reading R1 apps and then I'll endure a longer waiting game.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Tossing my hat in the ring for Round One.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
...in the Home Stretch, Park Fellows (Johnson) Essay is the last man standing... should be done by the weekend. Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Does anyone know what the Mission Recommender questions are?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
tsiria wrote:
Does anyone know what the Mission Recommender questions are?

Word on the streets...

1. How long have you known the applicant, and in what capacity?

2. The mission of The Consortium is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

What has the candidate done pre-MBA in their business, personal or academic life to demonstrate commitment to reducing the serious underrepresentation of African American, Hispanic American or Native Americans in business school enrollment or the ranks of management? What potential does the candidate demonstrate for assisting The Consortium in pursuing its mission post-MBA?

3. Is there any additional information you would like to provide about this applicant?

that's just word on the streets though...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Thank you! very helpful :-D
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
1 week to go before the consortium deadline and I am questioning the quality of my essays. Is it just me or do other applicants experience this too?

A month ago after I had a consultant take a look at it, he made very little changes and told me it was good to go. I was really excited bec I felt that the essays were already very polished.

Then like a week ago, my friend encouraged me to see another consultant and that consultant made some comments on how I could still improve my work. Some of them were warranted but I felt like some of them were just overboard. I made some small changes again and thought maybe the guy wanted more clients. Now nearing the deadline I am in mad panic and started to doubt myself.

Man, somebody tell me I am just panicking!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Hey fellow consortium fellas,

I am taking a risk right now, I am applying through the consortium as a south asian male. I am applying through this great program because a lot of the work I have done in and since college has tangibly helped very many URM gain access to successful careers. I was an active member of a community mentorship foundation and started an educational outreach program at my professional workplace that serves URM. My work is fairly clearly geared towards the consortium mission (more corporate america as opposed to MBA programs), however, 2 admissions consultants told me (I decided not to work with any consultant) that the my great work towards the consortium mission is going to be outweighed by schools thinking that you are taking advantage of the system. They are not looking for south asians in the consortium and only if it has been a "life long passion," will it be considered authentic. I honestly think this is bull, because, my work has had such a great impact and helped very many people (95% have been URMS). I applied to schools not through the consortium, and I hope legitimate and documented experience speaks for itself when I do apply to other programs through the consortium. I have two/three questions though

1) Do schools see your mission support essay and mission support recommendation?

2) Do you think (I know schools will never admit to this) that my south asian minority status will hurt my chances as schools could think that I do not belong in the consortium applicant pool

3) Also, if they do not see your mission support recommendation and statement (as per the first question), how can they tell your commitment to the mission? Could they make a snap judgement about my the authenticity of my consortium application
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
nycbiker wrote:
Hey fellow consortium fellas,

I am taking a risk right now, I am applying through the consortium as a south asian male. I am applying through this great program because a lot of the work I have done in and since college has tangibly helped very many URM gain access to successful careers. I was an active member of a community mentorship foundation and started an educational outreach program at my professional workplace that serves URM. My work is fairly clearly geared towards the consortium mission (more corporate america as opposed to MBA programs), however, 2 admissions consultants told me (I decided not to work with any consultant) that the my great work towards the consortium mission is going to be outweighed by schools thinking that you are taking advantage of the system. They are not looking for south asians in the consortium and only if it has been a "life long passion," will it be considered authentic. I honestly think this is bull, because, my work has had such a great impact and helped very many people (95% have been URMS). I applied to schools not through the consortium, and I hope legitimate and documented experience speaks for itself when I do apply to other programs through the consortium. I have two/three questions though

1) Do schools see your mission support essay and mission support recommendation?

2) Do you think (I know schools will never admit to this) that my south asian minority status will hurt my chances as schools could think that I do not belong in the consortium applicant pool

3) Also, if they do not see your mission support recommendation and statement (as per the first question), how can they tell your commitment to the mission? Could they make a snap judgement about my the authenticity of my consortium application

1) absolutely NOT. Schools do not see the mission essay or the mission rec.

2) I honestly don't know, but I don't think so. I hope it wouldn't hurt your chances but I have no idea. It's probably best to e-mail the adcoms at the Consortium schools directly and ask them.

3) The schools don't care about your committment to the mission (I mean, they might care, but not as far as evaluating your candidacy to their program), they will be evaluating you based on merit and your essays. The Consortium cares about your committment to the mission. It is possible for you to be admitted to the school based off your application but denied Consortium membership. In such instance, you can still attend the school, just not as a Consortium member.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi guys, I'm in for R2. I will take my GMAT on December 3rd. I'm scared...lol. After the GMAT I have to run and do the essays in a month. I just found out about the consortium a couple of weeks ago. It looks awesome and I'm looking forward to meet everyone at the orientation. I can't wait to start B-school!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I am debating whether to apply via consortium or directly and was wondering if anyone had answers for the following:

(1) Some schools only have one or two essays via Constortium vs. 4 or 5 via the direct application. Will this hurt my chances, as I will not be able to showcase myself? Why do schools do this? Are you really only competing with other Consortium applicants because of this?

(2) How exactly do interviews work? For Tuck's direct application, I think you need to interview before applying there (student-initiated interview). Do you not even interview with all these schools? Therefore again, are you only competing with other Consortium applicants?

(3) Are the recommendations simply letters or do they have specific questions like other direct applications?

(4) In regards to the first essay: "Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. How has your professional experience shaped these goals and influenced your decision to pursue an MBA degree?" how general or specific should this be? I usually cater each essay towards each school slightly.

(5) In regards to the second, optional essay, are these topics appropriate: brief history and background of my current firm (adcom will likely not have heard of it and there is a rich history), why I clicked the "hispanic box" (I am a quarter hispanic), why I need an MBA even with a masters in accounting degree already?

(6) From what I've been reading, fellowships don't come out until late in the process (March?). However, do other forms of financial support (merit-based scholarships specifically) come out with the admissions decision? Would you have to accept admissions before potentially knowing the financial package? Are you on the same playing field as other applicants for non-fellowship financial aid (due to the different process, fault of other essays, timing, etc.)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
robface wrote:
I am debating whether to apply via consortium or directly and was wondering if anyone had answers for the following:

(1) Some schools only have one or two essays via Constortium vs. 4 or 5 via the direct application. Will this hurt my chances, as I will not be able to showcase myself? Why do schools do this? Are you really only competing with other Consortium applicants because of this?

(2) How exactly do interviews work? For Tuck's direct application, I think you need to interview before applying there (student-initiated interview). Do you not even interview with all these schools? Therefore again, are you only competing with other Consortium applicants?

(3) Are the recommendations simply letters or do they have specific questions like other direct applications?

(4) In regards to the first essay: "Please describe your short and long term goals post-MBA. How has your professional experience shaped these goals and influenced your decision to pursue an MBA degree?" how general or specific should this be? I usually cater each essay towards each school slightly.

(5) In regards to the second, optional essay, are these topics appropriate: brief history and background of my current firm (adcom will likely not have heard of it and there is a rich history), why I clicked the "hispanic box" (I am a quarter hispanic), why I need an MBA even with a masters in accounting degree already?

(6) From what I've been reading, fellowships don't come out until late in the process (March?). However, do other forms of financial support (merit-based scholarships specifically) come out with the admissions decision? Would you have to accept admissions before potentially knowing the financial package? Are you on the same playing field as other applicants for non-fellowship financial aid (due to the different process, fault of other essays, timing, etc.)?

(1) The Consortium App is simple and direct. However there are obvious way to distinguish yourself in any of the school essays. However, if you feel like you'd be better served by providing a broader scope through additional essays go for it. No, you are not just competing against other Consortium Apps for admission, you're competing against the entire pool. (Membership and Fellowship are a different story)

(2) If a school is interested they'll interview you. Tuck is the exception...

(3) Specific Questions -- 3 I think

(4) Straight up Goals Essay. You can tailor it subtly to fit with a few schools you really want to go to... ie the story you tell or keywords that would stick out to adcoms.

(5) This is a tough one. And you'll likely get a lot of different answers on this. I tend to believe CGSM is not just looking for candidates to check a box or rehash their company's history. There has to be a true relationship to their mission outside of just being a URM. I don't want this to discourage you from applying to the Consortium but think about this... Consortium changed the policy this year so they could evaluate who is granted membership and who is not (it used to be the school's decision) -- To me, I take it as CGSM wants to fully vet any candidate who will apply through Consortium. And while I do not think this will affect your admissions decision from most (if not all) of these schools it will certainly hurt your chances of getting membership and a subsequent fellowship if you don't show commitment to their mission outside of being 25% hispanic. Then again, this may be enough... no one really knows the specific consideration criteria around being granted membership.

(6) My understanding (with the exception of a few schools) you are automatically considered for other forms of financial aid with you CGSM app. Fellowship decisions are released mid to late March and most admissions decisions are released around the same time. With regard to other scholarships being awarded, I assume most schools will inform you when you get accepted. Could be wrong tho.

Overall, I think you have a difficult choice of which route you want to take. But I would be calling Consortium on Monday to ask them what they think about (5). And for the record, most CGSM fellows that I've spoken to have said that they based their membership proposition on work, activities, associations and/or extracurriculars they were involved in that showcased commitment to the CGSM mission.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
thanks for the response - very helpful advice and I will be sure to call on Monday
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Submitted. Round One.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
TheSenator wrote:
Submitted. Round One.

Congrats, must be a good feeling. Looking to have mine done this week.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts