Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
thelagtag wrote:
Does anyone what percentage of students get accepted from the pool of people who have received interviews?

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, and I'm taking this from what I read earlier in this thread, but Booth typically takes 40% - 50% of the applicants it interviews.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
dsg wrote:
thelagtag wrote:
Does anyone what percentage of students get accepted from the pool of people who have received interviews?

Thanks!

I don't know for sure, and I'm taking this from what I read earlier in this thread, but Booth typically takes 40% - 50% of the applicants it interviews.

Yeah, that sounds right. It also seems like their yield has been steadily increasing, so Booth may end having to either interview a smaller % of the total pool, or accept a smaller % of the interviewed pool in order to reach their target class size.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Guys may I am speculating but, as far as as I know Wharton last year accepted about 45% ladies to their class. So I would not wonder if this “fashion” would be repeated by other top schools this year.
I saw a girl enrolled to this thread (with the GMAT 650 and IB experience) , she got an invite from Booth few days before.
I respect women and my post is in no way to hurt or somehow or diminish the women’s aspirations.
Just 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
PTK wrote:
Guys may I am speculating but, as far as as I know Wharton last year accepted about 45% ladies to their class. So I would not wonder if this “fashion” would be repeated by other top schools this year.
I saw a girl enrolled to this thread (with the GMAT 650 and IB experience) , she got an invite from Booth few days before.
I respect women and my post is in no way to hurt or somehow or diminish the women’s aspirations.
Just 2 cents.

I'm not sure what you're implying, but I think the point is that MBA programs are seeking to have more gender diversity in the class than in past years.

Booth is on record as saying that 30% of the class is the threshold where a group has a strong sense of identity on campus. And I believe Booth is approx. 35% women. So, yes, I'd expect women to be at that level or even higher going forward.

The stat I'm referencing can be found here: https://poetsandquants.com/2011/02/14/wh ... o-booth/3/
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
@ PTK

Look at it this way. Even if they take 45% females this year, that still leaves 55% of the slots open for men. It is not the ladies' or the school's problem that the no. of men who apply to B-Schools are way more than the ladies! :)

But yes, I agree that most top schools may end up having a 35%-40% range wrt their female applicant pool this year, keeping in line with their intention of increasing the gender equality in their respective schools.

Cya
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
dsg wrote:
thelagtag wrote:

Thanks!

This is correct. About half of applicants are interviewed, and about 40-50% of those interviewed are admitted.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
tgtivyleague wrote:
@ PTK

Look at it this way. Even if they take 45% females this year, that still leaves 55% of the slots open for men. It is not the ladies' or the school's problem that the no. of men who apply to B-Schools are way more than the ladies! :)

But yes, I agree that most top schools may end up having a 35%-40% range wrt their female applicant pool this year, keeping in line with their intention of increasing the gender equality in their respective schools.

Cya

This is an assumption I used to arrive to a possible explanation/reason of why Booth dinged dinged today so many people ( I assumed guys).
65% of slots for men last year or 55% slots this year, makes a signigicant difference when it comes to assumed comparison of % admition rates separately for men and women. (way to many assumption I am making today after the Booth's ding).

Overall I belive that this tendency to equate the men/women ratio should not be so sharp at it was last year at Wharton. Such changes must takes years of smooth transition.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I think they have given out mostly dings today. Quite surprising, given that they gave very few invites yesterday!

If I am not wrong, only ONE member has reported an invite so far today. Has everyone received their intimation? Or is the afternoon wave still remaining?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
PTK wrote:
tgtivyleague wrote:
@ PTK

Cya

This is an assumption I used to arrive to a possible explanation/reason of why Booth dinged dinged today so many people ( I assumed guys).
65% of slots for men last year or 55% slots this year, makes a signigicant difference when it comes to assumed comparison of % admition rates separately for men and women. (way to many assumption I am making today after the Booth's ding).

Overall I belive that this tendency to equate the men/women ratio should not be so sharp at it was last year at Wharton. Such changes must takes years of smooth transition.

I think we are missing a critical piece of the puzzle here. We really cannot just look at people's GMAT scores and GPAs and say that this person should have gotten in or this other person should not have. I also don't think this is about gender either. I do not believe a school would admit someone on the sole basis of gender if that applicant was not qualified for the program.

B-school applications are a holistic process. Essays matter A LOT. They want people who are different and who can round out the class. So, if you're in finance or consulting, for example, you're competing with the thousands of other people who are also in those industries. In the end, it's going to be about how you stand out, what it is that makes your application "sparkle" (to quote Kurt Ahlm), and what kind of contribution you can make to the class.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ls413 wrote:

I think we are missing a critical piece of the puzzle here. We really cannot just look at people's GMAT scores and GPAs and say that this person should have gotten in or this other person should not have. I also don't think this is about gender either. I do not believe a school would admit someone on the sole basis of gender if that applicant was not qualified for the program.

B-school applications are a holistic process. Essays matter A LOT. They want people who are different and who can round out the class. So, if you're in finance or consulting, for example, you're competing with the thousands of other people who are also in those industries. In the end, it's going to be about how you stand out, what it is that makes your application "sparkle" (to quote Kurt Ahlm), and what kind of contribution you can make to the class.

+1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
ls413 wrote:
PTK wrote:
tgtivyleague wrote:
@ PTK

Cya

Sorry to disagree with you, but you CANNOT possibly say that gender or race doesn't play a role when it comes to decisions, and I am not saying this to disrespect female applicants or minority applicants. Some undergrad schools, especially in the west coast where they have overwhelmingly many Asian applicants, flat out say that they limit their pool and look more fondly to other minority students. It makes sense for the school, but for applicants who happen to come from those "common" background - it surely works as disadvantages. I am 100% sure this is the case for business schools as well.

Also, the problem with those terms, such as "holistic process" or "sparkle" are extremely vague terms that don't really mean anything. How much time do you think is spent on adcom's side to take a "holistic" approach to find "sparkles" on each applicant? I am 100% positive that it's merely a fraction of how much time and work applicants spend on their application, not including the time they spend on nervously waiting for their decisions for weeks, sometimes for months since the summer. Yes they get thousands of applications and have a little time - but I really wish that people and school would stop giving out such vague terms. It really doesn't mean much to applicants, whether they're accepted or rejected.

I don't think we are missing any puzzles here. We all know about the weight of GMAT score, GPA etc. GMAT community is a lot smarter than that. Some got dinged not because they don't have "sparkles", aren't unique, or their essays were bad, it's because Booth also "failed" to find the "sparkles". It's alway a two way street. Some schools find them, and some don't. We move on. The end.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
ls413 wrote:

+1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
Dinged

Indian/710/5+ years IB-Distressed/29/clueless !!!!

Guys,

Want an opinion...is 710 on the lower side esp. considering the average GMAT of candidates called for interviews, I think its in range of 720-730...

Shud I give it again before i resume battle in R2??

Thanks & Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Dinged.. First from a US B-school ever..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
Dinged

Guys,

Want an opinion...is 710 on the lower side esp. considering the average GMAT of candidates called for interviews, I think its in range of 720-730...

Thanks & Regards

I think 710 is a pretty good score and isn't too different from 720 or even 730. Unless you feel you can get the score up to 750+, I'd take the time you would have spent restudying for gmat to polish up essays and app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MBADreams_2012, I believe 710 is good enough! I scored 690 and have a 3.1 GPA and got an interview. I believe whenever they see a GMAT score above 700 they know you are smart enough and go looking for what else you have to offer on your application.

That worked for me! So that is my opinion!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
Dinged

Guys,

Thanks & Regards

Your 710 is above the 80th percentile in both Q & V, so I wouldn't worry about retaking it. Like everyone else is saying, take the time to perfect and polish those essays.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts