Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [7]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MBADreams_2012 wrote:
MBADreams_2012 wrote:

Guys,

Want an opinion...is 710 on the lower side esp. considering the average GMAT of candidates called for interviews, I think its in range of 720-730...

Shud I give it again before i resume battle in R2??

Thanks & Regards

you will see on this thread also that many 750+ did not get interviews - GMAT is only one component of the app and at 710 level you can't improve it too much. I would say spend the time thinking of a ppt that will knock their socks off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I normally "lurk" here but needed to reply to this thread as I don't think it is constructive or reflective of the type of environment GMAT club tries to be. cheetarah1980 - I agree completely. I was invited to interview at Booth with a 650/3.6 GPA. Yes, I am a woman. However, I manage a large business for a Fortune 50 company. I have direct reports. My company recruits heavily from top 5 MBA programs. I am not trying to change careers, but rather get a foundation in the areas Booth excels and go back to work a better manager and leader. My company does not sponsor MBAs so I will be footing the bill myself. For the rest of my application, I loved my essays. My recommendation letters were great (yes, I read them because my recommenders are mentors to me and shared after submission). I like to think that I have "sparkle" and I am proud that the adcomm saw some of that in my application (especially because I spent so long on each).

To suggest that I only received an invite because I am female is not only insulting, but also misguided and ignores the value candidates can bring to a program outside of a high GMAT score. I think we are all better than that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@cheetarah1980

I think you might have misinterpreted what I mentioned above regarding race and gender, and I am not sure why you mentioned about school comparing you to another black applicant. I never said people are getting in just because they're a woman or a minority. We are talking about how gender or race play a role as an advantage to some and disadvantage to others - that's all I said. That's why I gave examples of schools in the west coast, especially in California, being more tough on Asian applicants. Schools flat out admitted that they do limit the pool for Asian candidates. As I mentioned, it makes sense for the school wanting to widen their pool, but can you NOT say that doesn't work as disadvantage to applicants who happen to be Asians, and work as advantages to applicants who are different race, or minority when schools flat out admitted that they want more applicants from such backgrounds?

Also, I am not sure why you think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

I never said adcoms look lightly on applications - I'm sure they do the best they can. All I said was I wished school would stop using vague terms like "holistic" or "sparkle" when they are spending merely a fraction of how much time and effort each applicant spend even on ONE essay without even giving them a chance to be interviewed - some waited for weeks, some waited for months and years. Good luck taking a "holistic" approach and finding "sparkles" from applicants without meeting them. Sorry to disagree with you on this one, but for me those terms are meaningless - no matter how much they sugarcoat it.

I guess you can agree or disagree, but unfortunately there are unchangeable things that some applicants need to realistically keep in mind when applying to school whether they like it or not - that's the main point I am making.

Originally posted by goodbyeboy on 10 Nov 2011, 10:00.
Last edited by goodbyeboy on 11 Nov 2011, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
ras245 wrote:
I normally "lurk" here but needed to reply to this thread as I don't think it is constructive or reflective of the type of environment GMAT club tries to be. cheetarah1980 - I agree completely. I was invited to interview at Booth with a 650/3.6 GPA. Yes, I am a woman. However, I manage a large business for a Fortune 50 company. I have direct reports. My company recruits heavily from top 5 MBA programs. I am not trying to change careers, but rather get a foundation in the areas Booth excels and go back to work a better manager and leader. My company does not sponsor MBAs so I will be footing the bill myself. For the rest of my application, I loved my essays. My recommendation letters were great (yes, I read them because my recommenders are mentors to me and shared after submission). I like to think that I have "sparkle" and I am proud that the adcomm saw some of that in my application (especially because I spent so long on each).

To suggest that I only received an invite because I am female is not only insulting, but also misguided and ignores the value candidates can bring to a program outside of a high GMAT score. I think we are all better than that.

I'm sorry, where exactly did you see the post to suggest that you only received an invite because you're female? Also, just curious - did you not waive your rights to see the recommendations?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
goodbyeboy wrote:
I'm sorry, where exactly did you see the post to suggest that you only received an invite because you're female? Also, just curious - did you not waive your rights to see the recommendations?

1) She waived the right to demand seeing the recs after being admitted or dinged, but she did not swear under oath that if their recommenders agreed to show her the recs, she would refuse.

2) The problem here is that people talk a lot about "gender and race play a role". Whilst true, it ignores the fact that (as in most sets of populations) the variability within a group is larger than that of the average of a group vs. the average of the other.

Makes sense? For instance, I am Hispanic, but my GMAT is a lot higher than Booth's average. So in an individual situation, it is a bit tricky to go around saying that "race plays a role", because you will frequently encounter people whose specific experience didn't match your observation and... it's just annoying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
goodbyeboy wrote:
@cheetarah1980

I think you might have misinterpreted what I mentioned above regarding race and gender, and I am not sure why you mentioned about school comparing you to another black applicant. I never said people are getting in just because they're a woman or a minority. We are talking about how gender or race play a role as an advantage to some and disadvantage to others - that's all I said. That's why I gave examples of schools in the west coast, especially in California, being more tough on Asian applicants. Schools flat out admitted that they do limit the pool for Asian candidates. As I mentioned, it makes sense for the school wanting to widen their pool, but can you NOT say that doesn't work as disadvantage to applicants who happen to be Asians, and work as advantages to applicants who are different race, or minority when schools flat out admitted that they want more applicants from such backgrounds?

Also, I am not sure why you don't think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

I never said adcoms look lightly on applications - I'm sure they do the best they can. All I said was I wished school would stop using vague terms like "holistic" or "sparkle" when they are spending merely a fraction of how much time and effort each applicant spend even on ONE essay without even giving them a chance to be interviewed - some waited for weeks, some waited for months and years. Good luck taking a "holistic" approach and finding "sparkles" from applicants without meeting them. Sorry to disagree with you on this one, but for me those terms are meaningless - no matter how much they sugarcoat it.

I guess you can agree or disagree, but unfortunately there are unchangeable things that some applicants need to realistically keep in mind when applying to school whether they like it or not - that's the main point I am making.

I actually agree with you to some respect. You phrase it as an advantage/disadvantage when certain groups are bucketed by profession, age, gender, race/ethnicity, and then somehow limited because of it. I disagree with that part because if admissions is looking to increase a certain demographic, it is to even the playing field and to add a dynamic to the perspective of the school. The often misconception is that by doing so, someone else is at a disadvantage when the reality is that that group might have been over represented. In engineering for example, it is over represented by men. This doesn't mean that women aren't qualified to be engineers, it often means that more outreach needs to be done to make them aware of the opportunities. Now if more women apply to engineering programs, naturally, more will be accepted. Now, we know that to "bucket" folks means that people can fall into many categories, so admissions folks will have to decide which areas are the most important. I can only imagine how difficult that is, while trying to keep the overall class landscape in mind.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
ras245 wrote:

I am sorry lady, in my post i did not want to insult any female here at Club or anywhere else.
As a moderator I am fully supportive of friendly and nice environment here. claiming against it I think may sound offensive to someone.
It seems you are miseterpreting what I have said, I just said that being a female is higher probability to get an invite. You have said that you ave been invited due to you are woman. You miht have been invited due to other reason. Insert any other reason except for gender. You are applying wrong critical reasoning here.

I just said that probability is higher for females, given the disproportionately higher number of male vs. female applicants. Moreover accountin for schools' desire to equate males and females in their classes.
Nothing offensive I think. My reasoning is based on simple assumptions and math computations.
None would negate the fact that the competition among indian IT males is higher than for example for persons from Latin America working in Middle Asia in a non-profit (a good friend on mine has this profile).
So I think basically higher probability of getting an invite is not an offense.

Sorry again if I have offended you somehow, it was not my intention.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
My 2 cents - Though everyone, irrespective of gender or ethnicity, that gets into top MBA programs is qualified, there is no denying that your background may provide you with a small advantage or disadvantage. For instance, if a male and female applicant have the exact same appliaction (GMAT, essays etc), the female applicant has a better chance of making it into the school simply becuase there are much more male applicants than female applicants. Schools want a fair mix of male and female applicants. This mix may vary slightly from year-year based on the quality of applicant pool.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
@PTK. Thanks, I definitely misinterpreted your original statement and appreciate the clarification. It seemed you were miffed that someone with a 650 would get an invite and that you speculated it was because she was a woman. I understand that was not your intention.

@jjoeteller @goodbyeboy - I actually didn't waive my right to see them (just because I get a bit uncomfortable waiving my rights to anything). I had a brief moment of panic when someone said on another board that was a bad decision, but I think adcoms have read enough recommendations to be able to identify whether a rec is genuine and honest. I read my recommendations because my recommenders sent them to me via email after they submitted. We also spent a lot of time discussing each school I applied to so that they would understand what I was focusing on at each school. I don't even know where to start describing how grateful I am to my recommenders. :)

@aarmo - I agree with that. I think that your "bucket" matters to some extent, but that we should all be careful not to dismiss a candidate's success because they happen to fall within a bucket.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jjoeteller wrote:
goodbyeboy wrote:

1) She waived the right to demand seeing the recs after being admitted or dinged, but she did not swear under oath that if their recommenders agreed to show her the recs, she would refuse.

2) The problem here is that people talk a lot about "gender and race play a role". Whilst true, it ignores the fact that (as in most sets of populations) the variability within a group is larger than that of the average of a group vs. the average of the other.

Makes sense? For instance, I am Hispanic, but my GMAT is a lot higher than Booth's average. So in an individual situation, it is a bit tricky to go around saying that "race plays a role", because you will frequently encounter people whose specific experience didn't match your observation and... it's just annoying.

Sorry if it annoyed you, but as you said - it is true that gender and race play a role. That's also what I am saying. Your GMAT score being higher than Booth's average has nothing to do with that fact.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ras245 wrote:
@PTK. Thanks, I definitely misinterpreted your original statement and appreciate the clarification. It seemed you were miffed that someone with a 650 would get an invite and that you speculated it was because she was a woman. I understand that was not your intention.

@jjoeteller @goodbyeboy - I actually didn't waive my right to see them (just because I get a bit uncomfortable waiving my rights to anything). I had a brief moment of panic when someone said on another board that was a bad decision, but I think adcoms have read enough recommendations to be able to identify whether a rec is genuine and honest. I read my recommendations because my recommenders sent them to me via email after they submitted. We also spent a lot of time discussing each school I applied to so that they would understand what I was focusing on at each school. I don't even know where to start describing how grateful I am to my recommenders. :)

@aarmo - I agree with that. I think that your "bucket" matters to some extent, but that we should all be careful not to dismiss a candidate's success because they happen to fall within a bucket.

Well I guess you just broke the myth about that waiver thing! :-D congratulations on your interview btw - good luck. It's great to have your supervisors as your mentors.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@goodbyeboy

Thanks! I definitely thought I was doomed after some of the waiver talk, but my husband talked me out of it. I really do think admissions officers have read enough recommendations to weed out what's real. :) And yes, it is great to have supervisors as mentors. Having mentors has been one of the most important pieces in my career development - a mini MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
ras245 wrote:
Thanks! I definitely thought I was doomed after some of the waiver talk, but my husband talked me out of it. I really do think admissions officers have read enough recommendations to weed out what's real. :) And yes, it is great to have supervisors as mentors. Having mentors has been one of the most important pieces in my career development - a mini MBA.

I thought the same thing about the waiver. I didn't think twice about saying "No" to waiving my rights during the application, then later read on here that it was "bad" and started worrying about it. But the more I thought about it and the different reasons someone would check yes or no, the more I realized the adcoms probably don't care about one check box that is required to have by law. Its never going to be a deciding factor in your application. Just another thing for us to over-think in the application madness!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Based on the roll call, it looks like people have started to complete their off-campus interviews (on-campus begins tomorrow).

Can anyone who has completed an off-campus interview report back? Would also love to hear from the people who interview on-campus tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
BStand wrote:
Based on the roll call, it looks like people have started to complete their off-campus interviews (on-campus begins tomorrow).

Can anyone who has completed an off-campus interview report back? Would also love to hear from the people who interview on-campus tomorrow.

FYI to those who received interview intives, there's an off-campus interview recap posted on ClearAdmit:

https://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... oInterview
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Transportation)
Send PM
goodbyeboy wrote:
@cheetarah1980

Also, I am not sure why you don't think schools don't "bucket" applicants. Schools do have set quotas each year for each region depending on the number of applicants applying and the overall competition among them. While doing this, they will need to bucket applicants by ethnicity, professional background, career goal, region where you live. How can they not? They are all important factors adcoms need to consider for picking out the candidates from each region before looking at the overall picture of entire class of each year.

Based on my insider knowledge about AdComs :-D , schools absolutely have to "bucket" applicants. There is simply no other way to shape the profile of the class.
If you're in the bucket of Indian Male Engineers with average stats, you'd better have saved people from a building on fire or spent 2 years fighting AIDS in Africa to have a chance of getting into a top 10 school. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Kudos
Wow... this is a really heated discussion... I think everyone needs to calm down. Some people got invites and others didn't... A lot of this is luck of the draw regarding who read your application, and how they related to you... everyone needs to relax and move on...

Good luck to everyone who is interviewing, and better luck next time to those who aren't. We have all felt our share of rejection regardless of our backgrounds, and remember, no one here rejected anyone else... if you have an issue with the adcom practices, you shouldn't take it out on your fellow bloggers.

Cheers!

PS: I noticed something like 45% on this forum got interviews... that seems high from their general statistics... Looks like competition is going to be really stiff this year!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  35   36   37   38   39  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts