Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
thugly921 wrote:
thembaboy wrote:
First of all, many thanks to everyone who has posted their interview experiences.

Secondly, my apologies for asking this trivial question but I would request an urgent answer since my interview is scheduled for day after.

I am interviewing in India with an alum and its scheduled to happen at a coffee shop in the middle of the day (a place that is frequented mostly by college students). The question is: what should I wear? I know the ideal answer is a suit but I have never worn a suit in India ever. (I am a management consultant) Also, its going to be the middle of the day (hot and stuffy) and I will be really uncomfortable wearing a suit. Lastly, I will also look very out of place wearing a suit. For these reasons, I am wondering if I can wear a formal **** and trousers instead.

Would really like to know your thoughts/experiences especially people who have interviewed in India.

Thanks in advance!

Unless it was agreed upon in advance with your interviewer, the expectation is to wear a suit.

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is verbatim from the interview invitation: "Wear business attire to the interview, regardless of where it is conducted."

Just go with the suit and tie. If it's that hot and stuffy out, I'm sure your interviewer will invite you to take off your jacket or loosen your collar. If not, it's 30-45 minutes -- not the end of the world.

And it doesn't really matter if you're going to look out of place. I'd rather have random college students think I look out of place than have my interviewer think I wasn't taking the interview seriously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
I just did my off-campus interview with an alum. Lucky for me, I had been prepping for every question I was asked and I felt that my answers came out sincere and not rehearsed.

In no particular order, here are the questions:

1. Tell me about yourself (essentially, walk me through your resume)
2. Why Booth?
3. Why an MBA?
4. What is your plan for after graduation?
5. If you could change anything about your career up until now, what would it be?
6. How would your friends describe you?
7. What are your plans if you don't get into Booth? Will you apply again next year?

We only had 30 minutes for the interview, so I was only asked those 7 questions and I was allowed time to ask some of my own questions. Remember to prepare some good questions because I really got a deeper sense (beyond what I already had) of the Booth alumni community from one of the questions I asked.

In all, it really didn't feel like an interview; it was more like a conversation. So, do your prep work, practice out-loud in front of your mirror and don't sweat it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
dsg wrote:
I just did my off-campus interview with an alum. Lucky for me, I had been prepping for every question I was asked and I felt that my answers came out sincere and not rehearsed.

2. Why Booth?
3. Why an MBA?
5. If you could change anything about your career up until now, what would it be?
7. What are your plans if you don't get into Booth? Will you apply again next year?

We only had 30 minutes for the interview, so I was only asked those 7 questions and I was allowed time to ask some of my own questions. Remember to prepare some good questions because I really got a deeper sense (beyond what I already had) of the Booth alumni community from one of the questions I asked.

In all, it really didn't feel like an interview; it was more like a conversation. So, do your prep work, practice out-loud in front of your mirror and don't sweat it!

Were you asked what your plans are if you don't get into Booth specifically, or what your plans are if you don't get into any MBA program at all? If the former, I would assume it would be safe to say that you hope to get into another school to which you applied, right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ls413 wrote:
dsg wrote:

2. Why Booth?
3. Why an MBA?

Were you asked what your plans are if you don't get into Booth specifically, or what your plans are if you don't get into any MBA program at all? If the former, I would assume it would be safe to say that you hope to get into another school to which you applied, right?

I was asked about my plans if I didn't get into Booth. I would assume that your interviewer understands that you're applying to other schools, but I'm not sure how it looks to them if you say you're going to "settle" (in your interviewers eyes, of course) for another MBA program. I said I'd stay at my current job and be quite content with my career and of course I'd apply to Booth again next year. This is easy for me to say since I like my company and Booth is the only interview I've received.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got back from my off-campus interview. We met at a local Starbucks and my interviewer was very professional. I felt that we had some awkward moments where I thought he would comment but he didn't. I think I rambled for 90% of the time:

1. He started off with why MBA? (threw me off cause I figured he'd want to walk through my resume first, he never asked me to go through it. I also went ahead and answered why now and why booth?)

We got off on a tangent talking about markets and investments (we have a similar background). Then he says he needs to get to the required questions.

2. Tell me about a time you made a decision you regret.
3. Tell me about a time you had to juggle a lot of responsibilities.
4. Are you applying anywhere else?
5. How do you think you'll contribute to Booth?
6. Any questions for me?

I asked him 3 questions. I had more in my pocket, but I could tell he was ready to go. The whole interview lasted about an hour. I'm not too confident that my interviewer liked me...fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kethee wrote:
Just got back from my off-campus interview. We met at a local Starbucks and my interviewer was very professional. I felt that we had some awkward moments where I thought he would comment but he didn't. I think I rambled for 90% of the time:

1. He started off with why MBA? (threw me off cause I figured he'd want to walk through my resume first, he never asked me to go through it. I also went ahead and answered why now and why booth?)

We got off on a tangent talking about markets and investments (we have a similar background). Then he says he needs to get to the required questions.

6. Any questions for me?

I asked him 3 questions. I had more in my pocket, but I could tell he was ready to go. The whole interview lasted about an hour. I'm not too confident that my interviewer liked me...fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

If the interview went for an hour that's a positive thing, especially given that you veered the conversation off on a tangent and you were both engrossed in that part of the discussion. If the interviewer didn't like you, they wouldn't have had an hour long interview. A buddy of mine got grilled for 90 minutes by his Booth interviewer and he thought he totally bombed it, but he was accepted.

I think we're our own worst critics, so stay positive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
dsg wrote:
kethee wrote:

6. Any questions for me?

If the interview went for an hour that's a positive thing, especially given that you veered the conversation off on a tangent and you were both engrossed in that part of the discussion. If the interviewer didn't like you, they wouldn't have had an hour long interview. A buddy of mine got grilled for 90 minutes by his Booth interviewer and he thought he totally bombed it, but he was accepted.

I think we're our own worst critics, so stay positive.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Hope we all get accepted :-D
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks to all for your inputs. I shall put up my experience soon!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Booth '13 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
SonyRemote wrote:
To current Booth student(s):

Does Booth call admitted candidates prior to the decision deadline? If so, how many days in advance?

Thanks,
Sony Remote

They usually call every admitted student the day before the decision deadline. If you don't receive the call the day before is very liklely that you'll receive a ding.
Good luck to all

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
chinobaeza wrote:
SonyRemote wrote:

Does Booth call admitted candidates prior to the decision deadline? If so, how many days in advance?

Thanks,
Sony Remote

They usually call every admitted student the day before the decision deadline. If you don't receive the call the day before is very liklely that you'll receive a ding.
Good luck to all

Or waitlist, right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Booth '13 (M)
Send PM
lemonems wrote:
chinobaeza wrote:
SonyRemote wrote:

Thanks,
Sony Remote

Good luck to all

Or waitlist, right?

You are right

Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Hi guys!

What do you think it's the best answer when asked about what other schools I'm applying? Please, consider that I'm applying to CBS. I want to avoid them to believe I'm going to CBS if I have the opportunity. That may make them to ding me. Neither I want them to believe I'll go to Booth but I'm not a man of his word (because of ED statement).

Not that simple, isn't it? :-D

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Etreus wrote:
Hi guys!

What do you think it's the best answer when asked about what other schools I'm applying? Please, consider that I'm applying to CBS. I want to avoid them to believe I'm going to CBS if I have the opportunity. That may make them to ding me. Neither I want them to believe I'll go to Booth but I'm not a man of his word (because of ED statement).

Thank you!

They're not stupid and they understand that the b-school process is highly competitive and that you're probably applying to multiple schools. I'd probably name a few of the schools you're applying to but point out why you'd rather go to Booth over those other schools. Given your Columbia example, you can say "I'm applying to Columbia, but I love Booth's flexible curriculum compared to Columbia's Core set of classes."

Also, did you apply to Columbia ED and get accepted?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dsg wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Hi guys!

Thank you!

They're not stupid and they understand that the b-school process is highly competitive and that you're probably applying to multiple schools. I'd probably name a few of the schools you're applying to but point out why you'd rather go to Booth over those other schools. Given your Columbia example, you can say "I'm applying to Columbia, but I love Booth's flexible curriculum compared to Columbia's Core set of classes."

Hi dsg!

I'm only applying to Booth and CBS, so I don't know if mentioning CBS because it implies I'm under Early Decision. Therefore, I'm supposed to go to CBS if they admit me. That's the point.

By the way, I'm invited to interview in CBS (not done yet!).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Etreus wrote:
dsg wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Hi guys!

Thank you!

Hi dsg!

I'm only applying to Booth and CBS, so I don't know if mentioning CBS because it implies I'm under Early Decision. Therefore, I'm supposed to go to CBS if they admit me. That's the point.

By the way, I'm invited to interview in CBS (not done yet!).

I don't think that simply saying you're applying to Columbia will imply you're under Early Decision. In fact, if you're asked, just tell them you're applying to Columbia Regular Decision. That way there won't be any type of miscommunication.

I'm applying to CBS as well, but haven't submitted my application yet. How long after you submitted your application did you hear from them about your interview?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, maybe this is a good solution. They invited me from CBS after one month.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
@ DSG - I am also applying to CBS regular decision. I submitted my app around ED deadlines b/c I read since its rolling theres some slight advantage to submitting it earlier than later. However, I got a status update saying that they wont be looking at regular decision til Dec!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts