Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
divnamite wrote:
Thanks, Paul:

1) I do intend to take a few classes in stats/finance. I worry that if I attend a local community school, the adcom wouldn't count it as much. I supposed I can take classes at NYU (a lot of money).

2) Off-beaten track leadership, this is one of the area that I have troubles with. I'm not quite sure even how to approach this? Obviously, if I join a volunteer organization, I won't be in leadership position. And I wouldn't join any orgs just for leadership role without believing in it. Working in financial industry in NYC is such a time-consuming job, that I barely have time after work. I did tutor for a short period of time a few years back for SAT prep, but stop because I had to travel for my job. I think I can pick it up again.

3) International development. I briefly considered PhD program then move to WorldBank, UN. But I think I want to have more pratical management/operation experience first, therefore MBA is the logical choices. My interests are primary focus on global supply management, regional development type of work. I will consider my PhD after several years of pratical experience, in fact this is one of the main reason I picked Chicago.

4) IT-related job doesn't help me. Would it help if I became an Client Manager in the firm, even thought my firm would still be a software shop?

5) Do you think the four schools are enough? I think I'll probably apply R1 for Columbia/IESE/LBS/Chicago, should I cast a wider net for R2? Stanford/HBS/Sloan/Tuck are my dream schools, more like fantasy actually. If I get into any one of these schools, I would most definitely go. I don't however, want waste time and energy on schools that I have no chance at. I rather spend the time and energy given solid app packages for my first 4 schools.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Adrian

"The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves."

Adrian,

1) Good grades in a community college class would be better than no grades at all. Good grades in an NYU-level class would be ideal, of course, but not essential.

2) Well, if you *started* a community organization you would most definitely be in a leadership position. I'm not suggesting that you sign up for Habitat for Humanity just for the sake of it. Frankly, there are certain organizations and activities -- including tutoring -- that adcoms see *a lot* of. I'm always intrigued when someone finds a way to get involved in some unusual, personal way. And impressed when they started it themselves.

3) The problem with the international development goal is making it credible vis-a-vis your experiences thus far, especially given that, as you say, you haven't had community opportunities. You'll be stating a 'social impact' goal, so the adcoms will be looking for previous social impact activities for confirmation. I discuss this in Chapter 2 of my book.

4) In comparsion to your current position, Client Manager would help if it involves more responsibility and people leadership.

5) 4 schools are usually not enough. Given your goals you could add Yale and perhaps Haas (I recommend doing some research on schools lower down the list who are strong in int'l. development). And definitely apply to some of your dream schools -- MIT and Tuck are more doable than Stanford and HBS.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks, Paul. I ordered your book from amazon, hopefully, I'll get it next week or so. What other MBA books do you recommend?

1) I'll start looking into some classes at NYU. I'll try to focus on quant heavy classes.

2) I understand that starting some charity or organization helps, but isn't that too much to ask for? I know a few guys that did that, but their result barely help anyone.

3) I'm not looking for that saving africa type jobs. I'm more looking for emerging markets, or development a new market type jobs.

4) I'll try to move towards that. My only concern is, since I'm applying for R1/R2, even I was to move into that position, I would only be in the job for less than a year. It would be difficult for me to ask my new manager to a recommendation and leave him after one year.

5) Cool, I'll add MIT and Tuck to my list.

Thank you so much. I look forward to read your book.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
divnamite wrote:
Thanks, Paul. I ordered your book from amazon, hopefully, I'll get it next week or so. What other MBA books do you recommend?

1) I'll start looking into some classes at NYU. I'll try to focus on quant heavy classes.

2) I understand that starting some charity or organization helps, but isn't that too much to ask for? I know a few guys that did that, but their result barely help anyone.

3) I'm not looking for that saving africa type jobs. I'm more looking for emerging markets, or development a new market type jobs.

4) I'll try to move towards that. My only concern is, since I'm applying for R1/R2, even I was to move into that position, I would only be in the job for less than a year. It would be difficult for me to ask my new manager to a recommendation and leave him after one year.

5) Cool, I'll add MIT and Tuck to my list.

Thank you so much. I look forward to read your book.

Adrian,

Thanks for your clarifications. As for starting a community activity, I totally agree it's a major commitment, but I have seen a small number of applicants who did do this and their accomplishments were impressive. Usually, of course, you need more than a few months to start having an impact.

As for books I can recommend:

1) Linda Abraham's ebooks, especially "Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions" and "Submit a Stellar Application: 42 Terrific Tips to Help You Get Accepted."

2) Richard Montauk's "How to Get into the Top MBA Programs"

3) "ABCs of Getting the MBA Admissions Edge" by Mendonca & Symonds.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]