Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Please review my Profile - Which Schools are realistic? [#permalink]
Anyone else?
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tommy87HG
Hi there, I agree, all of those schools would be do-able for you so I would apply ( work experience looks great but it really depends on the accomplishments/leadership you've demonstrated at work and if you articulate them - plus extra curriculars/community work is also very important for all MBA programs). Schools can be a bit set on age but as long as it's clear that you've just had 5 years experience of work (which is more the average) and you explain why an mba after all of the schooling then it shouldn't be an issue for the schools. They just see it that what would a 30 year old get out of the classroom experience from someone who is 24 with 2-3 years work experience. See what I mean? So ave age is close to 26/27 ish. But with your story, it shouldn't be an issue. Please do apply sooner than later as they look at your age when you start the program! Have you considered some schools in Europe too like IMD where ave age is higher?

If you'd like a full free assessment, feel free to reach out to us anytime at Fortuna Admissions (https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/)

Best,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UPDATE:
I got my TOEFL results and I scored a 117/120... not too bad I guess. I hope this can be something to stand out from the crowd a little bit more (according to ETS this score is Top 1-3% of Business school applicants)

FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
Tommy87HG
Hi there, I agree, all of those schools would be do-able for you so I would apply ( work experience looks great but it really depends on the accomplishments/leadership you've demonstrated at work and if you articulate them - plus extra curriculars/community work is also very important for all MBA programs). Schools can be a bit set on age but as long as it's clear that you've just had 5 years experience of work (which is more the average) and you explain why an mba after all of the schooling then it shouldn't be an issue for the schools. They just see it that what would a 30 year old get out of the classroom experience from someone who is 24 with 2-3 years work experience. See what I mean? So ave age is close to 26/27 ish. But with your story, it shouldn't be an issue. Please do apply sooner than later as they look at your age when you start the program! Have you considered some schools in Europe too like IMD where ave age is higher?

If you'd like a full free assessment, feel free to reach out to us anytime at Fortuna Admissions (https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/)

Best,

Hi, thank you for your opinion on my case ;-)

I already contacted Fortuna and will have the assessment today.

Extracurricular work or community program is a big weakness for my profile I guess... I had a great extracurricular project with a student-run business consultancy at my university (I lead a project to transform the legal form of the student association from a nonprofit organization to a corporation and did the feasibility analysis), but this was during my bachelor's studies and I totally focused on the classes during my master's. Not sure how to "sell" that.

Best,
Thomas
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just wondering why you knocked off Duke from that list?
They have long essays so you can explain your story really well. You can also use both their essays strategically to explain the valuable experience gained during your internships and the 2.5 years work experience after high school. Read how :
(Essay 1: how will you contribute this experience at Duke, outside their classroom- you've been a student always so you would have a lot of stories on collaboration and leadership at college.
Essay 2: 25 random things about you could include several pointers from these 5-6 years of your life).

Your post-high school would not be counted by b-schools as full time work exp. but this along with your current work experience could be adequately represented at Duke.

Also, Fuqua likes older applicants. :student_man:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
They have long essays so you can explain your story really well. You can also use both their essays strategically to explain the valuable experience gained during your internships and the 2.5 years work experience after high school. Read how :
(Essay 1: how will you contribute this experience at Duke, outside their classroom- you've been a student always so you would have a lot of stories on collaboration and leadership at college.
Essay 2: 25 random things about you could include several pointers from these 5-6 years of your life).

Your post-high school would not be counted by b-schools as full time work exp. but this along with your current work experience could be adequately represented at Duke.

TBH, I knocked them off the list because I thought this would be too much gambling because my profile is not good enough...

Some tell me I should aim higher, some say my list is already too ambitious. Not really sure about that list.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
Send PM
Hey there everyone!
My name is Rachit. I am very excited to have found this evaluation thread.
I will be extremely glad if somebody can review my profile.

My profile is as follows:

Sex : Male
Nationality : Indian
Education : Bachelor of Engineering, Mechanical (Aggregate - 69%)
GMAT : Scheduled on Aug 11th
Expecting 650-680 (Mock averages range between 710-740)

Work Ex: 5 years

2017 to present : Larsen & Toubro, Defence
Designation : Assistant Manager
Domain : Heavy Engineering & Manufacturing
Customer : Ministry of Defence, India
Tech Partner : Hanwha Tech, S.Korea

Key responsibilities :
1. Quality Planning & Monitoring
2. People Management and Manpower handling
3. Coordinate among different functions for production execution
4. Handling customer and technology partner visits
5. Handling Audits
6. Active member of Editorial team of Quarterly In-House Magazine

-Developed sketch-based inspection formats thereby reducing average inspection time and by 20%
-Implemented reuse of geometrical coordinates for speedy marking of large body structures
thereby saving 8 man-hour/man/shift

2013 to 2017 : TAL Manufacturing Solutions, Ltd.,
Designation :Engineer
Domain : Composite Manufacturing & Aerospace
Customer : Boeing(US), Rolls-Royce (UK & Singapore) , Pratt & Whitney (US), Ruag (Germany)

Key responsibilities :
1. Customer query resolution -have handled clients from S.Korea, UK, Singapore, Japan, US and Germany on a regular basis
2. Planning and execution of various first article activities
3. Contract review
4. Training people
5. Change Management
6. Root Cause and Corrective Action
7. Conducting internal audits
9. PFMEA expert
10 . Active member in various committees : Safety committee, SAP Trainers' team and Composite Repair group

- Was awarded as the employee of the month twice for before time execution of first article inspections for Boeing.
- Was selected for training on Supplier Self Release, AS: 13001 at Singapore
- Introduced paperless inspection-documentation system thereby reducing monthly stationary costs by 5000 INR approx

Extra-Curricular :
- Organized various cultural events during college
- Represented college at various national level events like Robocon
- Currently learning Bachata
- Working on a novel on my high-school life
- Donate blood at yearly intervals

Post-MBA goals :
Short Term Goal : To move into strategic consulting while leveraging my technical and inter-personal skills to help organizations perform better and make better decisions.

Long Term Goal : To establish my own firm which will cater to the technical and non-technical needs of ever-increasing startups in India
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tommy87HG wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:

TBH, I knocked them off the list because I thought this would be too much gambling because my profile is not good enough...

Some tell me I should aim higher, some say my list is already too ambitious. Not really sure about that list.

I'd go with Fuqua for the reasons I have already mentioned. Your profile description here doesn't give me much info about your work/ ECA achievements, so I can not decipher much about your competitiveness. But as a rule of thumb, you would apply to 1-2 ambitious programs (if that's what Fuqua seems).

One piece of advice though - apply in early application round if you don't mind withdrawing your applications from other programs should you get an admit.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Considering your GMAT score i would suggest that you need experts assistance for selecting the right B-Schools for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79
Send PM
Seeking help to realize where I stand in the crowd. Please suggest the schools that I have a realistic chance of getting in. Also, highlight if you see something lacking or interesting in the profile.

1. Age: 28
2. Nationality: Indian
3. Sex: Male
4. Education : Bachelors of Engineering - Civil Engineering 6.6 /10
5. College: Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
6. GMAT : 740 ( Q50/V40/IR6)

Work Ex : 42 months total

A. 13 months as Product Manager in an small e-commerce B2C startup that also has a B2B side.
Key highlight: worked on digitization of airport for the leading airport operator in South-east Asia. The project is to improve revenue opportunities for the airport operators.
B. 26 months in various roles at mid-size e-commerce B2C startup.
Key highlight: Joined in a very junior role but got two promotions within a year and was made the Associate Product Manager (junior-level management) in the team. Have experience of leading a small team and building a small software product from the scratch.
C. 3 months of sales internship in a small e-commerce B2C startup
Key highlight: Was on the field for 3 months talking to the mom & pop stores in Mumbai enabling them to fight the fight with the big e-commerce companies.

Key issues with my profile:

1. Completed engineering degree in 5 years instead of 4 and passed out in May 2013
2. Was unemployed from May 2013 to August 2014.
3. Have a gap year after 12th
4. No extra-curricular whatsoever
5. No coding knowledge

Post-MBA goals:
1. Move to consulting in the field of e-commerce for a big consulting firm

In which schools do I have a realistic chance?

Order of priority geography of schools & work is :
1. Europe
2. India
3. USA
4. China, Singapore, etc.

Terminology used:
B2C : Business to Consumer ( Eg: Amazon )
B2B: Business to Business ( Eg: SalesForce )
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi blackfish,

Firstly you've got some great work experience and accomplishments.Schools are looking at career progression so clearly you have that with the several promotions you mentioned.
You've got a great GMAT score so I wouldn't worry too much about taking 5 years instead of 4 to graduate. Was there a reason for this that you can justify? Same with the unemployment - is there an explanation to go with it? As long as it's justified you should be fine.

Also for your gap year, you would also need to give an explanation for that - it doesn't have to be seen as a negative aspect to your profile - can be quite common in fact for applicants to take a year off, travel, etc. So what exactly were you doing in that time?

In terms of extra curriculars, that does worry me a bit as all b-schools are looking for well rounded candidates and those that have interests outside of work. You must have some hobbies and passions that you do outside of work - even if it was when you were younger? I'm assuming it means no community or volunteering. For top 10-15 mba schools this may not bode well but some Tier 2/3 schools won't hold this against you.

Your geographic location for MBA's is quite large and there are 100s of MBA programs out there! So it's really hard for me to say this school or that school. I would try and narrow your choices down first - where do you want to work post MBA? Which country or state do you want to be in? Do you want a 1 or 2 year program? Have you attended any school online events or visited campuses? It really comes down to fit and what is a good cultural fit for you. Take a read through this article we produced that can help you with the selection process. https://poetsandquants.com/2018/07/13/c ... s-schools/

Also to help you narrow down your search, you can set up a free consultation with us where we can walk through your resume and give you some guidance as to what might be a good fit, after we get to know you a little better. You can sign up here: https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 2.79
Send PM
FortunaAdmissionsMJ wrote:
Hi blackfish,

Firstly you've got some great work experience and accomplishments.Schools are looking at career progression so clearly you have that with the several promotions you mentioned.
You've got a great GMAT score so I wouldn't worry too much about taking 5 years instead of 4 to graduate. Was there a reason for this that you can justify? Same with the unemployment - is there an explanation to go with it? As long as it's justified you should be fine.

Also for your gap year, you would also need to give an explanation for that - it doesn't have to be seen as a negative aspect to your profile - can be quite common in fact for applicants to take a year off, travel, etc. So what exactly were you doing in that time?

In terms of extra curriculars, that does worry me a bit as all b-schools are looking for well rounded candidates and those that have interests outside of work. You must have some hobbies and passions that you do outside of work - even if it was when you were younger? I'm assuming it means no community or volunteering. For top 10-15 mba schools this may not bode well but some Tier 2/3 schools won't hold this against you.

Your geographic location for MBA's is quite large and there are 100s of MBA programs out there! So it's really hard for me to say this school or that school. I would try and narrow your choices down first - where do you want to work post MBA? Which country or state do you want to be in? Do you want a 1 or 2 year program? Have you attended any school online events or visited campuses? It really comes down to fit and what is a good cultural fit for you. Take a read through this article we produced that can help you with the selection process. https://poetsandquants.com/2018/07/13/c ... s-schools/

Also to help you narrow down your search, you can set up a free consultation with us where we can walk through your resume and give you some guidance as to what might be a good fit, after we get to know you a little better. You can sign up here: https://fortunaadmissions.com/free-consultation/

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the response. I have narrowed down my choices to B-schools in US which are close to the silicon valley or have a strong alumni connection the valley. UC Berkley is my first preference. How realistic are my chance to get in that school? Also, what kind of scholarship I can get if I get in that school.
Send PM
Expert Reply
blackfish,

Oh that's great to hear you've narrowed it down! Indeed Berkeley would be a great option.
Marshall, UCLA and Hult could also be good options for you.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot