Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Coordinate Geometryx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [193]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28573 [88]
Given Kudos: 130
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619085 [33]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, the points (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d) are three ve [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Baten80 wrote:
In the xy-plane, the points (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d) are three vertices of a certain square. If c < 0 and d > 0, which of the following points is in the same quadrant as the fourth vertex of the square?

A. (-5, -3)
B. (-5, 3)
C. (5, -3)
D. (3, -5)
E. (3, 5)

I answered B. But OA

Your logic was fine.. You figured that after (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d), the fourth vertex would be (-c, d). Perfect!
The only problem was the additional info that said that 'c' is negative and 'd' is positive. This means that in (-c, d), both (-c) and d will be positive! Hence the OA is (E) i.e. the one in which both, the x and the y co-ordinate, are positive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [7]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In the xy-plane, the points (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d) are three ve [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
From the question since this is given If c < 0 and d > 0 .... you can do c = -1 and d = 1

Then map the coordinates for all three points (c,d) = (-1, 1) , (c, -d) = (-1, -1) and (-c, -d) = (1,-1) .....

Well if you draw all these three points in the plane you will realise that the missing point has positive x, y so E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Very Tricky Question. Thanks for the explanations Mike/Bunuel.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Baten80 wrote:
In the xy-plane, the points (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d) are three vertices of a certain square. If c < 0 and d > 0, which of the following points is in the same quadrant as the fourth vertex of the square?

A. (-5, -3)
B. (-5, 3)
C. (5, -3)
D. (3, -5)
E. (3, 5)

Since c < 0 and d > 0:

(c, d) = (neg, pos) = quadrant II

(c, -d) = (neg, neg) = quadrant III

(-c, -d) = (pos, neg) = quadrant IV

Thus, the 4th vertex is in quadrant I and has a point that is (pos, pos). Thus, choice E is correct, since it’s the only point that is (pos, pos).

Answer: E
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Although I understood the problem but is it possible for someone who can draw the vertices in a picture and present it. Visually still it is difficult for me to understand, how the -c,d simply lying in the quadrant II.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619085 [3]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnubhavK wrote:
Although I understood the problem but is it possible for someone who can draw the vertices in a picture and present it. Visually still it is difficult for me to understand, how the -c,d simply lying in the quadrant II.

Check the diagram below:
Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 13.42 KiB | Viewed 44383 times ]

The fourth vertex is at (-c, d), which is (positive, positive), so in the first quadrant.

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Baten80 wrote:

A. (-5, -3)
B. (-5, 3)
C. (5, -3)
D. (3, -5)
E. (3, 5)

I answered B. But OA

I almost answered B, because it would match the quadrant; however, when you look at the final piece to the pattern; that is, (-c, d) you realize -5 can not be -c, because
-(-5) = 5, which contradicts the given "c<0"

After understanding what the question asks, The first thing you should do is list the givens:
(c,d)
(c,-d)
(-c,-d)
(???) missing fourth point not given.
Analyzing the points given, you see a pattern of c and d both positive, one positive and one negative, and both negative, the only pattern left is one negative and one positive.
(c,-d) is already given; therefore the missing fourth point is (-c, d)

(-c,d) cannot be B, because, again, when you plug -5 into (-c,d) you get (-(-5), d) which contradicts "c<0"
Now, B and A are both eliminated. You know it cannot be an answer where d is a negative number, so C and D are also eliminated.

Therefore, the only remaining answer is E

Bottomline: You should be able to recognize the pattern, and thereafter eliminate answer choices .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

You might find it helpful to TEST VALUES.

We're told that C < 0 and D > 0.

Let's TEST
C = -2
D = +2

We're given 3 of 4 co-ordinates for a square....
(C,D) = (-2, +2) which is in the 2nd Quadrant
(C, -D) = (-2, -2) which is in the 3rd Quadrant
(-C, -D) = (+2, -2) which is in the 4th Quadrant

Since we're dealing with a square, the 4th co-ordinate will be in 1st Quadrant...There's only one answer that's also in the 1st Quadrant...

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Simply test values for c = -1 and d = 1 (per constraints of the question)
Since all the sides are equal, the point must lie in the first quadrant and EVERY point in this quadrant is in the form (x,y) where x>0 and y > 0.

E is the only answer choice that aligns.
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 95.9 KiB | Viewed 35451 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there. I'm happy to help with this. :)

The question: In the xy-plane, the points (c, d), (c, -d), and (-c, -d) are three vertices of a certain square. If c < 0 and d > 0, which of the following points is in the same quadrant as the fourth vertex of the square?

I marked the tricky part in red. It seems c is a negative number and d is a positive number. This means

Vertex #1 = (c, d) is in QII (that is, negative x and positive y)
Vertex #2 = (c, -d) is in QIII (that is, both x & y negative)
Vertex #3 = (-c, -d) is in QIV (that is y is negative, but x is positive)

That means the last vertex should be in the first quadrant --- the only first quadrant point is (5, 3), answer = E.

Does that make sense? Please let me know if you have any questions on this.

Mike :-)

Hi,

I am a bit confused here to understand how did you come across, Vertex #2 = (c, -d) is in QIII (that is, both x & y negative) while you are saying Vertex #1 = (c, d) is in QII (that is, negative x and positive y)

Because, for D to become negative, the original value of D should be a positive value with the condition given d > 0.

So do we have to consider the original value of the points or the value after multiplying +/-?

Can you please explain this.

mihiri
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM