Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [23]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Re: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
If you look at this from the idiom angle, well perhaps A through D are instant outcasts, for it is never possible to estimate something at some precise thing There is always an element of prediction, speculation, guesstimation, or approximation involved in estimation.
Therefore, 'estimate to be' 'estimate that' are better than 'estimate at'. Estimated at is more in tandem with locations and not with numbers at least.

E then is the sole survivor. But one can rest assured such an open and shut question is not going to appear in the reality of GMAT.
The essence of the argument is that if one or two choices had the idiom 'estimated to be' rather than 'estimated at', what would be the correct answer? I give below an edited version in line with the above thought.(I hope MGMAT will have no objection for this practice session. )

The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the
price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st
century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction
of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into
space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into
space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction
the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average
individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy
ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

We now have a 2 estimated at +2 estimated to be +1 estimated that. The question is wide open now to munch.

Hi Daagh

According to MGMAT guys "estimated at" is not a correct idiom, although there are some doubts on that. Please see the link below

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7889.html

That leaves us with C, D and E.

C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic.

D has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.

So E still is the correct answer, IMO.

Please let me know the correct answer and your expert advise.

Best
RzS
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
RzS

My edited version: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estim
ated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction
the 21st century.

individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy

If E is the answer for the original topic under issue, then it should be the correct answer for the altered example too, since there is no difference between them. Therefore, you are on the dot.

However, in the other two choices, namely C and D, my point was to highlight the problem in meaning. Please note that the intent of the passage is to compare the anticipated future cost of space travel to the current price of the transatlantic travel. It is not a comparison between the cost of the both the two listed travels in the future time namely by the end of 21st century. The transatlantic cost is of today and that is why E is correct. That is the crux.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Your reason: C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic. - Of course, you mean the cost of the individual going into space' is perhaps better.

My reason: You see, the introductory modifier "By the end of the 21st century" stands for both the travel costs at the end of 21st century. The function of an introductory modifier is to modify the entire events that follow. That is substantively different from the original intent. That is why this wrong logically.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

Your reason for D: has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.
My reason: 1. in this choice, the future cost trans - Atlantic travel that is by the end of the 21st century is wrongfully compared with the probable future cost of the space trip. Why is this wrong? Because you cannot compare between an unknown space cost with a yet another unknown cost.
2. Dictionally, the average cost of travel is substantively different from the cost to the average individual. This is also a change in meaning.

Am I right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the
price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st
century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction
the 21st century.

airplane travel.

airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction
the 21st century.

Correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
RzS

My edited version: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estim
ated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

airplane travel.

airplane travel.

the 21st century.

If E is the answer for the original topic under issue, then it should be the correct answer for the altered example too, since there is no difference between them. Therefore, you are on the dot.

However, in the other two choices, namely C and D, my point was to highlight the problem in meaning. Please note that the intent of the passage is to compare the anticipated future cost of space travel to the current price of the transatlantic travel. It is not a comparison between the cost of the both the two listed travels in the future time namely by the end of 21st century. The transatlantic cost is of today and that is why E is correct. That is the crux.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Your reason: C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic. - Of course, you mean the cost of the individual going into space' is perhaps better.

My reason: You see, the introductory modifier "By the end of the 21st century" stands for both the travel costs at the end of 21st century. The function of an introductory modifier is to modify the entire events that follow. That is substantively different from the original intent. That is why this wrong logically.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

Your reason for D: has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.
My reason: 1. in this choice, the future cost trans - Atlantic travel that is by the end of the 21st century is wrongfully compared with the probable future cost of the space trip. Why is this wrong? Because you cannot compare between an unknown space cost with a yet another unknown cost.
2. Dictionally, the average cost of travel is substantively different from the cost to the average individual. This is also a change in meaning.

Am I right?

Absolutely brilliant explanation for addressing the change of meaning in C. Nicely done modifications to the options too! Thanks for the edited version daagh.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619243 [0]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishalkumar4mba wrote:
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

What is wrong with option 'C'.

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The first thing you have to do is figure out what the basic structure of this sentence is. X is Y. Something is estimated. That is critical verb in this sentence. Therefore, you need to find an answer choice that has a matching order of words. Despite the fact that it appears to be fairly complex, there is only one answer that even comes close to that core structure. Choice E is the correct answer. Once you realize what the core is, eliminating the rest of the choices should be fairly simple.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
vishalkumar4mba wrote:
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

What is the source of this question? IMO all the questions without source should be removed from the question bank as have observed that question bank is full of questions not representative of GMAT standard.

What is wrong with option 'C'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Some people mentioned that "estimated at" was not a correct idiom. I am not native but I see nowhere on Internet that this idiom is not correct. Can someone kindly confirm?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a [#permalink]
Hi DmitryFarber VeritasKarishma can you please help me one doubt in option E , i rejected it because -> It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel. This cost to average individual strike me , (what is average individual , shouldn't it be average cost to individual. ) so I chose C.Is this "average individual" correct here?

FOr those who saying estimated at is incorrect , below is GmatPrep question With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Farenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water though to be frozen from top to bottom.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gaurav2896 wrote:
Hi DmitryFarber VeritasKarishma can you please help me one doubt in option E , i rejected it because -> It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel. This cost to average individual strike me , (what is average individual , shouldn't it be average cost to individual. ) so I chose C.Is this "average individual" correct here?

FOr those who saying estimated at is incorrect , below is GmatPrep question With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Farenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water though to be frozen from top to bottom.

All 5 sentences are talking about an average individual. Whether you write "average individual's cost" or "cost to the average individual", what is being averaged is the individual, not the cost.
"average individual" just means "common man" here.
I do understand that "average cost" to an individual makes more sense but the sentence here wants to say "cost to common man"

Also, "estimated to be" is better than "estimated at" even if the non underlined part of a GMAT Prep question does use it.

But more importantly, option (E) made far more sense to me than did the other options.

What is estimated? that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price of airplane travel.
This is the estimate. That this cost will be a fraction of that current cost. Makes sense.

When you estimate a figure, you would say "estimated to be 5 million dollars". When you say "estimated to be a fraction of that current price", does it make a lot of sense? The estimate is that it will be a fraction of that cost. "A fraction" itself shows a very vague quantity. Then my estimate isn't yielding much value. I can estimate something to be half of or quarter of something else. But can I estimate something to be a fraction of something else? Both show approximation.

Hence option (E) is the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Re: The average individuals cost of going into space is estimated at a [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Gaurav2896 wrote:

All 5 sentences are talking about an average individual. Whether you write "average individual's cost" or "cost to the average individual", what is being averaged is the individual, not the cost.
"average individual" just means "common man" here.
I do understand that "average cost" to an individual makes more sense but the sentence here wants to say "cost to common man"

Also, "estimated to be" is better than "estimated at" even if the non underlined part of a GMAT Prep question does use it.

But more importantly, option (E) made far more sense to me than did the other options.

What is estimated? that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price of airplane travel.
This is the estimate. That this cost will be a fraction of that current cost. Makes sense.

When you estimate a figure, you would say "estimated to be 5 million dollars". When you say "estimated to be a fraction of that current price", does it make a lot of sense? The estimate is that it will be a fraction of that cost. "A fraction" itself shows a very vague quantity. Then my estimate isn't yielding much value. I can estimate something to be half of or quarter of something else. But can I estimate something to be a fraction of something else? Both show approximation.

Hence option (E) is the best.

Agree with the reasoning here. I eliminated E because it misses a comma after ' by the end of 21st century, the cost'.

I picked option B because the 21st century modifier is only used for the cost of space travel, whereas the transatlantic flight cost is kept without any such modifier and I inferred that it's the present cost.

Where did my thinking go wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The average individuals cost of going into space is estimated at a [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts