GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 2.71
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 04:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:15) correct 49% (01:27) wrong based on 543 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

What is wrong with option 'C'.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 11:27
Top Contributor
If you look at this from the idiom angle, well perhaps A through D are instant outcasts, for it is never possible to estimate something at some precise thing There is always an element of prediction, speculation, guesstimation, or approximation involved in estimation.
Therefore, 'estimate to be' 'estimate that' are better than 'estimate at'. Estimated at is more in tandem with locations and not with numbers at least.

E then is the sole survivor. But one can rest assured such an open and shut question is not going to appear in the reality of GMAT.
The essence of the argument is that if one or two choices had the idiom 'estimated to be' rather than 'estimated at', what would be the correct answer? I give below an edited version in line with the above thought.(I hope MGMAT will have no objection for this practice session. )

The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the
price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st
century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction
of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into
space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into
space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction
the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average
individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy
ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

We now have a 2 estimated at +2 estimated to be +1 estimated that. The question is wide open now to munch.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 09:12
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the
price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st
century.
Dangling modifier.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction
the 21st century. INCORRECT, for the reason mentioned above.

space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel. INCORRECT IDIOM USAGE

airplane travel. INCORRECT IDIOM USAGE

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction
the 21st century. INCORRECT IDIOM USAGE

individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy
ticket of transatlantic airplane travel. CORRECT And CLEAR

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 19:40
daagh wrote:
If you look at this from the idiom angle, well perhaps A through D are instant outcasts, for it is never possible to estimate something at some precise thing There is always an element of prediction, speculation, guesstimation, or approximation involved in estimation.
Therefore, 'estimate to be' 'estimate that' are better than 'estimate at'. Estimated at is more in tandem with locations and not with numbers at least.

E then is the sole survivor. But one can rest assured such an open and shut question is not going to appear in the reality of GMAT.
The essence of the argument is that if one or two choices had the idiom 'estimated to be' rather than 'estimated at', what would be the correct answer? I give below an edited version in line with the above thought.(I hope MGMAT will have no objection for this practice session. )

century.

the 21st century.

airplane travel.

space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic
airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction
the 21st century.

We now have a 2 estimated at +2 estimated to be +1 estimated that. The question is wide open now to munch.

Hi Daagh

According to MGMAT guys "estimated at" is not a correct idiom, although there are some doubts on that. Please see the link below

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t7889.html

That leaves us with C, D and E.

C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic.

D has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.

So E still is the correct answer, IMO.

Please let me know the correct answer and your expert advise.

Best
RzS
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 03:26
Top Contributor
RzS

My edited version: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estim
ated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

airplane travel.

airplane travel.

the 21st century.

If E is the answer for the original topic under issue, then it should be the correct answer for the altered example too, since there is no difference between them. Therefore, you are on the dot.

However, in the other two choices, namely C and D, my point was to highlight the problem in meaning. Please note that the intent of the passage is to compare the anticipated future cost of space travel to the current price of the transatlantic travel. It is not a comparison between the cost of the both the two listed travels in the future time namely by the end of 21st century. The transatlantic cost is of today and that is why E is correct. That is the crux.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Your reason: C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic. - Of course, you mean the cost of the individual going into space' is perhaps better.

My reason: You see, the introductory modifier "By the end of the 21st century" stands for both the travel costs at the end of 21st century. The function of an introductory modifier is to modify the entire events that follow. That is substantively different from the original intent. That is why this wrong logically.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

Your reason for D: has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.
My reason: 1. in this choice, the future cost trans - Atlantic travel that is by the end of the 21st century is wrongfully compared with the probable future cost of the space trip. Why is this wrong? Because you cannot compare between an unknown space cost with a yet another unknown cost.
2. Dictionally, the average cost of travel is substantively different from the cost to the average individual. This is also a change in meaning.

Am I right?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 10:19
century.

the 21st century.

airplane travel.

airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction
the 21st century.

Correct

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 05:33
daagh wrote:
RzS

My edited version: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estim
ated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of
the 21st century.

airplane travel.

airplane travel.

the 21st century.

If E is the answer for the original topic under issue, then it should be the correct answer for the altered example too, since there is no difference between them. Therefore, you are on the dot.

However, in the other two choices, namely C and D, my point was to highlight the problem in meaning. Please note that the intent of the passage is to compare the anticipated future cost of space travel to the current price of the transatlantic travel. It is not a comparison between the cost of the both the two listed travels in the future time namely by the end of 21st century. The transatlantic cost is of today and that is why E is correct. That is the crux.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

Your reason: C has "the average individual’s cost". The use of possessive is problematic. - Of course, you mean the cost of the individual going into space' is perhaps better.

My reason: You see, the introductory modifier "By the end of the 21st century" stands for both the travel costs at the end of 21st century. The function of an introductory modifier is to modify the entire events that follow. That is substantively different from the original intent. That is why this wrong logically.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated to be a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

Your reason for D: has "To go into space, the cost to the average individual", which, I think, violates infinitive of purpose.
My reason: 1. in this choice, the future cost trans - Atlantic travel that is by the end of the 21st century is wrongfully compared with the probable future cost of the space trip. Why is this wrong? Because you cannot compare between an unknown space cost with a yet another unknown cost.
2. Dictionally, the average cost of travel is substantively different from the cost to the average individual. This is also a change in meaning.

Am I right?

Absolutely brilliant explanation for addressing the change of meaning in C. Nicely done modifications to the options too! Thanks for the edited version daagh.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 03:56
vishalkumar4mba wrote:
The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(A) The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(B) The average individual’s cost by the end of the 21st century of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(C) By the end of the 21st century, the average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of the 21st century.

(E) It is estimated that by the end of the 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

What is wrong with option 'C'.

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

The first thing you have to do is figure out what the basic structure of this sentence is. X is Y. Something is estimated. That is critical verb in this sentence. Therefore, you need to find an answer choice that has a matching order of words. Despite the fact that it appears to be fairly complex, there is only one answer that even comes close to that core structure. Choice E is the correct answer. Once you realize what the core is, eliminating the rest of the choices should be fairly simple.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 03:56

The average individual’s cost of going into space is estimated at a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap