Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Rejected with a 690 Q48 V36 AWA 6 IR 7 [#permalink]
Kudos
sahilmcfc wrote:
I am an energy entrepreneur. (Indian)

Got rejected by Queens on January 4th 2018. I am confused because I didn't want to go to Queens but getting rejected still intrigues me.

Has the rush for Canadian MBA's lifted the required GMAT score so high that a 690 won't cut it. Further, they didn't see any essays/lor/videos of me.

I was rejected on the basis of undergraduate marks and unofficial GMAT score report.

Can somebody please shed more light on the Canadian MBA situation.

Thanks

Sahil

I was accepted last year but I am a domestic student. I chose not to go to Queens but I met with alot of Queen students that got in with low 600s... so it might not be the GMAT. There might be other factors that you need to consider before you apply to other schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah. Thanks for your inputs. I think I might have applied for Jan 18 intake. That's how I'm rationalising my rejection.

Sent from my Moto G Play using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [7]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sahilmcfc wrote:
Yeah. Thanks for your inputs. I think I might have applied for Jan 18 intake. That's how I'm rationalising my rejection.

one thing that is highly underestimated by most of us writing apps is our story/narrative. The Why MBA and Why this school. It comes up with every school during essays and interviews.

I met a student at Queen's that had a 700 GMAT but received $0 scholarship and he also applied early. I applied literally last few days but I nailed the essay and visited the school, went to Kingston for the interview. Presented myself very well and was really really prepared. I got in with a scholarship. The other guy had better work experience too (big bank) and I work for a very small firm. But he was going to go back to his bank n get a promotion. Meanwhile I set bigger goals and presented how I would contribute to the classroom and campus life.

In the end I think my goals, vision and enthusiasm helped me get a scholarship. If you have a weakness (i.e. poor gpa -- something i have too) then don't share it early on. I did networking, went to recruiting events, presented all my strengths first. I gave them a good look at who I was and what my goals were. Once they have a positive impression of you then you can share your weakness and they will overlook them. But if you lead with the weakness then they will have prejudice against you and this will impact all of your interactions with the Ad Com.

I didn't send my grades to any school until I knew they were very interested in me and had already indicated they wanted to interview me. In fact I waited until the end and schools would call me and email me asking me why I wasn't submitting my app. What's taking so long and I would just say, i am just doing my research and its an important decision so please be patient. And even that showcases that you're being very thoughtful and not just jumping into an MBA without thought.

Good luck! I learned that getting admission is alot more than just score/gpa. You really have to sell yourself well and entice the schools into giving you admission. Also get into 2-3 different schools make sure to let the others know about your admission so they are likely going to want you more and give you some scholarship to entice you to come to their school. For instance I got into my 2nd choice school but i missed the scholarship deadline. I declined their offer and they asked me why? I indicated that i received a scholarship from another school (a much higher ranked school). They then offered me a 50% tuition scholarship (at that point i wasn't just another applicant for them.. I had the the stamp of approval from several higher ranked schools)... I was definitely going to my first choice school but the scholarship made it a very tough decision.

Something to think about.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Kudos
jkolachi wrote:
sahilmcfc wrote:

one thing that is highly underestimated by most of us writing apps is our story/narrative. The Why MBA and Why this school. It comes up with every school during essays and interviews.

I met a student at Queen's that had a 700 GMAT but received $0 scholarship and he also applied early. I applied literally last few days but I nailed the essay and visited the school, went to Kingston for the interview. Presented myself very well and was really really prepared. I got in with a scholarship. The other guy had better work experience too (big bank) and I work for a very small firm. But he was going to go back to his bank n get a promotion. Meanwhile I set bigger goals and presented how I would contribute to the classroom and campus life.

In the end I think my goals, vision and enthusiasm helped me get a scholarship. If you have a weakness (i.e. poor gpa -- something i have too) then don't share it early on. I did networking, went to recruiting events, presented all my strengths first. I gave them a good look at who I was and what my goals were. Once they have a positive impression of you then you can share your weakness and they will overlook them. But if you lead with the weakness then they will have prejudice against you and this will impact all of your interactions with the Ad Com.

I didn't send my grades to any school until I knew they were very interested in me and had already indicated they wanted to interview me. In fact I waited until the end and schools would call me and email me asking me why I wasn't submitting my app. What's taking so long and I would just say, i am just doing my research and its an important decision so please be patient. And even that showcases that you're being very thoughtful and not just jumping into an MBA without thought.

Good luck! I learned that getting admission is alot more than just score/gpa. You really have to sell yourself well and entice the schools into giving you admission. Also get into 2-3 different schools make sure to let the others know about your admission so they are likely going to want you more and give you some scholarship to entice you to come to their school. For instance I got into my 2nd choice school but i missed the scholarship deadline. I declined their offer and they asked me why? I indicated that i received a scholarship from another school (a much higher ranked school). They then offered me a 50% tuition scholarship (at that point i wasn't just another applicant for them.. I had the the stamp of approval from several higher ranked schools)... I was definitely going to my first choice school but the scholarship made it a very tough decision.

You are such a freak. :cool: :dazed
I am taking notes on this whole leveraging the schools admits thing.

Great job negotiating with Admissions misers.

Attachments

tenor.gif
tenor.gif [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 3260 times ]

Intern
Intern
GPA: 1
Send PM
Indian Male. Donald Trump pushing internationals to schools abroad. I was surprised with a ding at Oxford, I'm gonna guess the class of 2019 for non-us schools to be among the highest performing raw stats wise in the history of modern MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
jkolachi wrote:
sahilmcfc wrote:

Do you have any more tips? How can I express good narrative in my resume or essay?
How did you make the schools like you so much? All meticulous strategy, or are you just one of those guys that people tend to like in person for no specific reason, overlooking their flaws and all? Just wondering if it can be replicated or if you have what I cannot engender.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Smith Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Smith Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Smith Forum for all fresh things related to the Smith MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts