Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q168 V165
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: 2nd Year at Kellogg about to graduate in a couple weeks. AMA! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
whymba909 wrote:
TranslationLost wrote:
Hi all, I read this forum (along with several others) while I was in the application cycle a while back -- just finished my last class at Kellogg so I thought I would pay it forward. I'll try to be diligent in checking in here periodically over the next couple days to answer questions.

Brief profile overview:

-- Came to Kellogg from non-traditional (non-profit) background, was looking to transfer to consulting
-- Interned at MBB in an east coast city, will be returning post-MBA

Hi, Thank you for doing this. I am wait-listed at Kellogg and I have no hope of getting in now. I am now planning to attend Ross. Somewhere in my mind I have an iota of doubt- will I be loosing a lot of opportunities if I don't attend a school like Kellogg (M7)? Is it worth leaving an offer from Ross and reapplying to Kellogg/Booth? It will be helpful for me to know your perspective?
If you don't mind me dropping in here, there is a whole lot you can do to get yourself off the waitlist. Have you engaged in any waitlisting campaign efforts?

https://mbaprepcoach.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
TranslationLost, Thanks for doing this and Congratulations on making it!
Couple of questions...
1) What are some things that you didn't like at Kellogg/things you'd like to change at Kellogg?
2) And in a similar vein, what are the things that you enjoyed the most at Kellogg?
3) Any regrets?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
First, whymba909, I hope you don't make your decision based on advice from anonymous strangers. Reflect deeply. That said, whether you should reapply or go to Ross depends on your goals. What outcome do you want post-MBA? I don't know Ross that well but I imagine lots of great opportunities are available there (they send people to Amazon, MBB, etc.). Perhaps they don't send people into finance? I'm really just guessing. Check the employment report and see if people get the outcome that you want there. If it seems feasible then go! Good luck

whymba909 wrote:
TranslationLost wrote:
Hi all, I read this forum (along with several others) while I was in the application cycle a while back -- just finished my last class at Kellogg so I thought I would pay it forward. I'll try to be diligent in checking in here periodically over the next couple days to answer questions.

Brief profile overview:

-- Came to Kellogg from non-traditional (non-profit) background, was looking to transfer to consulting

Hi, Thank you for doing this. I am wait-listed at Kellogg and I have no hope of getting in now. I am now planning to attend Ross. Somewhere in my mind I have an iota of doubt- will I be loosing a lot of opportunities if I don't attend a school like Kellogg (M7)? Is it worth leaving an offer from Ross and reapplying to Kellogg/Booth? It will be helpful for me to know your perspective?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1. You don't have to have a traditional business background at all -- adcom likes variety. The key is that if your background has nothing to do with business you need to work harder than the consultants and bankers to make it clear why MBA/why Kellogg. I can't compare how likely Kellogg is to admit non-traditional students compared to other schools because I haven't been at other schools.

2. My peers definitely were ahead of me in some things, but if you're smart enough to get admitted then you can handle the curriculum. The core curriculum is designed assuming you know basically nothing, so non-business people actually get more out of it than people who already know the stuff in my opinion.

3. The thing that isn't on the website/visit is the extent to which your experience is entirely of your own creation. There is a tendency among applicants (I remember thinking this way) to think "HBS offers A. Kellogg offers B. Wharton offers C." and then try to gauge the overlap between those offerings. The reality is that you can kind of do whatever you want at business school. Some people have an experience entirely characterized by their social lives. For others its startups. The list goes on. My personal highlight (lame answer) is getting my job -- it was the #1 goal I had coming here, and being a non-traditional student I didn't believe at some level that it was attainable for me until I got it.

vp101 wrote:
Hi TranslationLost, thank you for doing this!

I have a few questions about Kellogg and I hope you can answer them!
1. How reception is the admissions committee to candidates who aren't necessarily from a traditional business background? And in your experience, is Kellogg a school that is more likely than others to admit candidates with less than stellar academic records?

2. How challenging was the coursework for someone like you, who did not arrive at school with a background in business? How did the student body help you out (If at all) in this regard?

3. What can you tell us about the entire Kellogg experience that is perhaps not something we could read on the many articles online or in the standard school presentation? Since you have experienced it firsthand, what has been the highlight of your experience so far?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
1. My experience was overwhelmingly positive, but my big complaint has to do with social life. I think all of the major/mainstream social events at Kellogg (KWEST, Ski Trip, Tuesday night, TG, etc.) are all designed to foster lots of superficial relationships instead of fewer deep relationships. It entirely makes sense why this would be the case, but it's just not my personal preference. That said, there are plenty of situations in which you have the opportunity to foster deep relationships with your classmates -- these are just things you need to cultivate.

2. I enjoyed a lot of the events I described above lol. Also enjoyed spring break trips, study abroad, some of my classes, my club involvement

3. No macro regrets. I'm sure there's a few smaller things that I would change if I could, but I can't even identify them so clearly they're not that important. :)

MV23 wrote:
TranslationLost, Thanks for doing this and Congratulations on making it!
Couple of questions...
1) What are some things that you didn't like at Kellogg/things you'd like to change at Kellogg?
2) And in a similar vein, what are the things that you enjoyed the most at Kellogg?
3) Any regrets?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi TranslationLost
My questions are regarding jobs
1.What is stats of oncampus recruitment ?
2.Do all international applicants get jobs as I have read that more and more companies are denying to recruit the international applicants given the h-1B problems ?
Please shed some light on theses things
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Thanks for doing this.

1. Do you recommend waiving/testing out of any core classes at Kellogg?
2. Anything you wish you did differently or wish you had known before you started?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
1. https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... stics.aspx
2. Not all international applicants get jobs, but neither do all domestic applicants. I don't know what internal company policies are re: hiring international applicants, but anecdotally lots of international friends have gotten jobs in America.

Somnath31 wrote:
Hi TranslationLost
My questions are regarding jobs
1.What is stats of oncampus recruitment ?
2.Do all international applicants get jobs as I have read that more and more companies are denying to recruit the international applicants given the h-1B problems ?
Please shed some light on theses things
Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
1. it depends. im not the best person to ask here because i couldn't have waived out of anything. my personal opinion is that you shouldn't waive out just because you can -- if you're going to, have a specific reason in mind for why as well as what you'll use that extra time/class for.

2. not really. generally i'd advise people to know (or at least have a strong hypothesis) about what you want to recruit for. generally speaking the people who i saw struggle were those who were indecisive/had split loyalties.

younganalyst wrote:
Thanks for doing this.

1. Do you recommend waiving/testing out of any core classes at Kellogg?
2. Anything you wish you did differently or wish you had known before you started?
[/m]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Through your observations, how difficult would it be transitioning to MBB from Kellogg Part-Time? What is the attempt percentage and what is the success rate in your opinion?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry, I've had virtually no interaction with the part-time program, so I really have no sense for how successful people are in transitions like that. My entirely uninformed opinion would be that it would be extremely difficult.

21savage21 wrote:
Through your observations, how difficult would it be transitioning to MBB from Kellogg Part-Time? What is the attempt percentage and what is the success rate in your opinion?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Don't trust strangers on the internet - :shocked :shocked :shocked Blasphemy!

TranslationLost wrote:
First, whymba909, I hope you don't make your decision based on advice from anonymous strangers. Reflect deeply. That said, whether you should reapply or go to Ross depends on your goals. What outcome do you want post-MBA? I don't know Ross that well but I imagine lots of great opportunities are available there (they send people to Amazon, MBB, etc.). Perhaps they don't send people into finance? I'm really just guessing. Check the employment report and see if people get the outcome that you want there. If it seems feasible then go! Good luck

whymba909 wrote:
TranslationLost wrote:

Brief profile overview:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
TranslationLost wrote:

Brief profile overview:

Thanks for doing this. Listing down my queries below.

1. Do the MBB firms recruit for locations outside US too?
2. Is is more difficult for 1-Yr MBA students to make it to MBB due to the lack of an internship or do 1-Yr students too get good number of offers?
3. I am a bit confused about choosing my recommenders. I have been working at my current organization for about 2.5 years. One option is to choose my manager and director. Another option is my director and a client from my past organization, with whom I worked in 2013-14. What would you advice? Will a recommendation from someone I worked with in 2014 be weak since its 4 years in the past?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Thank you, TranslationLost! I am very keen on social impact and my immediate goal after MBA is MBB, so I'm really glad to have found this thread!

I'd love to know what you did in Kellogg to get into MBB (internship & full time). What clubs did you join, classes you took, and generally what resources from Kellogg did you leverage on?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Kellogg Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Kellogg Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Kellogg Forum for all fresh things related to the Kellogg MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts