Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [54]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [4]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Send PM
HBS R2 Admit - Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
WOW! Congratulations. That's insane you got your GMAT score 2 days before the deadline. I could see how schools may frown upon people who take the GMAT just shortly before the admissions deadline (indicating unpreparedness) or adcoms frowning upon retakes - you have proven it does not really matter or perhaps does not matter enough!

P.S. Awesome job on the Quant improvement too!
Thank you!

Touching on retakes a bit — based on what I've heard from adcoms, applying with a score below the school's average/median and no retakes tends to be frowned upon. Even if you get the exact same score a second time, they want to see that you tried to improve.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 808
Send PM
Re: HBS R2 Admit - Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Hi! Congratulations for your admit! You must be feeling on the top of the world currently.

You mention this in your post -
Quote:
HBS, for example, has three qualities that they specifically seek out

What exactly are these three qualities? Curious. :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
rahulbiitk wrote:
Hi! Congratulations for your admit! You must be feeling on the top of the world currently.

You mention this in your post -
Quote:
HBS, for example, has three qualities that they specifically seek out

What exactly are these three qualities? Curious. :-)

Thank you! The three qualities can be found here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Congrats buddy, on the buzzer beater GMAT, just two days before due date. lol
I think we all that problem of doubting ourselfs. Goodluck to you mate! would love to have a chat with you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
Congrats buddy, on the buzzer beater GMAT, just two days before due date. lol
I think we all that problem of doubting ourselfs. Goodluck to you mate! would love to have a chat with you

Thanks! I'm happy to chat with whomever has questions (or just wants a good pep talk :) ).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GRE 1: Q169 V159
GPA: 3.83
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
HBS R2 Admit - Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Synchrony wrote:
Hi everyone! I was accepted from R2 to HBS. I’ve done a lot of reflecting both during the application process and after my admittance, and I’m happy to share some insights from my application experience.

GMAT Prep

I spent waaaay too much time and money on what ended up being ineffective study methods (~2 years on and off and several thousand dollars). I tried most of the name brand programs, including in-person classes, private tutoring, and online programs. I ended up taking the GMAT four times: 1st time – 620; 2nd time – 680; 3rd time – 670; 4th time (literally two days before HBS’ R2 app was due) – 710.

In the end, I could have severely cut my time and money investment down by using MathRevolution.com from the start. My verbal score was always in the 40-43 range, but my quant struggled for a long time to get above the low 40s. The strategies I learned from MathRevolution.com were extremely effective, and the types of problems shown in the program were almost exactly the same types that showed up on test day. I would highly recommend Math Revolution to anyone struggling with quant.

Figuring Out a Narrative

This was an area that I feel I excelled in. I spent a lot of time mapping out inflection points in my childhood, high school years, college years, and in each of my professional roles. I then made an exhaustive list of narratives that connected the inflection points with my post-MBA short-term and long-term goals. Next, I filtered the list based on which narratives I felt would be the easiest to understand by an adcom. Finally, I ran the remaining narratives by my closest friends and family, and I made the final cut based on their reactions. (For the narrative that I ended up choosing, my family members all basically said, “Duh, that makes perfect sense.”) I really feel that nailing my narrative down and making sure that it was consistent all throughout the application process was key.

Building Confidence

I came into the application process being pretty self-aware of my chances. I didn’t come from a top undergrad program, I’m not an ethnic URM, my GMAT was below the average for my target schools, etc. In fact, I nearly convinced myself several times not to apply because I thought that I wouldn’t be competitive enough. After doing a thorough, no-BS self-evaluation, I identified a list of things about myself that I felt were unique and exemplary, and I focused on bringing those out as much as possible in my applications.

Being Strategic

I feel that the schools (at least the ones I applied to) make it clear what they’re looking for. HBS, for example, has three qualities that they specifically seek out. I made sure that my essays, resume, short answers, and interview responses all highlighted those qualities. I was also quite strategic with my recommendations. I reached out to my recommenders (my current supervisor and former direct supervisor) for their blessing about a month before my first application deadline. Then, I put together “recommendation packages” for each recommender with projects that I had completed, results of those projects, and submission deadlines to make it as easy as possible for them. The projects that I included for my recommenders were ones that displayed key qualities that weren’t as apparent in other parts of my application. Long before I reached out to my recommenders, though, I had built strong relationships with them to ensure their support come MBA application time.

Final Piece of Advice

If there was one thing that I would change about my MBA application approach (other than my GMAT study methods), it would be the stupid amount of time I spent on message boards and live feeds after I submitted my applications, scouring for the latest admissions rumors. Admittedly, it was pretty horrible for my mental health. My advice for future applicants would be to disconnect as much as possible from the application process in between application submissions and admissions decisions. That way, even if you get waitlisted, you will be in the right frame of mind to put your best effort into your waitlist materials if that time comes.

I hope you found this debrief useful, and best of luck to future applicants!

Hey,
Congratulations on the amazing journey. This is truly inspiring. I read the entire post. Can you elaborate the part I have highlighted in the post above?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Synchrony,

Thank you for posting about your admission. I recently decided to get my MBA and I'm wondering if you could help with the following question:

How much does undergrad GPA matter? I have a 2.8 from undergrad (family/financial reasons, international with no support structure etc). I have since been advancing in the biotech industry, and right now working on developing a COVID vaccine. If I get a high GMAT score of ~750, what do you think about my chances of getting in?

Thank you so much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Send PM
aaditya005 wrote:
Synchrony wrote:
Hi everyone! I was accepted from R2 to HBS. I’ve done a lot of reflecting both during the application process and after my admittance, and I’m happy to share some insights from my application experience.

GMAT Prep

I spent waaaay too much time and money on what ended up being ineffective study methods (~2 years on and off and several thousand dollars). I tried most of the name brand programs, including in-person classes, private tutoring, and online programs. I ended up taking the GMAT four times: 1st time – 620; 2nd time – 680; 3rd time – 670; 4th time (literally two days before HBS’ R2 app was due) – 710.

In the end, I could have severely cut my time and money investment down by using MathRevolution.com from the start. My verbal score was always in the 40-43 range, but my quant struggled for a long time to get above the low 40s. The strategies I learned from MathRevolution.com were extremely effective, and the types of problems shown in the program were almost exactly the same types that showed up on test day. I would highly recommend Math Revolution to anyone struggling with quant.

Figuring Out a Narrative

This was an area that I feel I excelled in. I spent a lot of time mapping out inflection points in my childhood, high school years, college years, and in each of my professional roles. I then made an exhaustive list of narratives that connected the inflection points with my post-MBA short-term and long-term goals. Next, I filtered the list based on which narratives I felt would be the easiest to understand by an adcom. Finally, I ran the remaining narratives by my closest friends and family, and I made the final cut based on their reactions. (For the narrative that I ended up choosing, my family members all basically said, “Duh, that makes perfect sense.”) I really feel that nailing my narrative down and making sure that it was consistent all throughout the application process was key.

Building Confidence

I came into the application process being pretty self-aware of my chances. I didn’t come from a top undergrad program, I’m not an ethnic URM, my GMAT was below the average for my target schools, etc. In fact, I nearly convinced myself several times not to apply because I thought that I wouldn’t be competitive enough. After doing a thorough, no-BS self-evaluation, I identified a list of things about myself that I felt were unique and exemplary, and I focused on bringing those out as much as possible in my applications.

Being Strategic

I feel that the schools (at least the ones I applied to) make it clear what they’re looking for. HBS, for example, has three qualities that they specifically seek out. I made sure that my essays, resume, short answers, and interview responses all highlighted those qualities. I was also quite strategic with my recommendations. I reached out to my recommenders (my current supervisor and former direct supervisor) for their blessing about a month before my first application deadline. Then, I put together “recommendation packages” for each recommender with projects that I had completed, results of those projects, and submission deadlines to make it as easy as possible for them. The projects that I included for my recommenders were ones that displayed key qualities that weren’t as apparent in other parts of my application. Long before I reached out to my recommenders, though, I had built strong relationships with them to ensure their support come MBA application time.

Final Piece of Advice

If there was one thing that I would change about my MBA application approach (other than my GMAT study methods), it would be the stupid amount of time I spent on message boards and live feeds after I submitted my applications, scouring for the latest admissions rumors. Admittedly, it was pretty horrible for my mental health. My advice for future applicants would be to disconnect as much as possible from the application process in between application submissions and admissions decisions. That way, even if you get waitlisted, you will be in the right frame of mind to put your best effort into your waitlist materials if that time comes.

I hope you found this debrief useful, and best of luck to future applicants!

Hey,
Congratulations on the amazing journey. This is truly inspiring. I read the entire post. Can you elaborate the part I have highlighted in the post above?

Thank you! I posted a link to the three qualities that HBS looks for (found on the HBS website) in one of my previous replies. I made sure that my application highlighted all three qualities.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
lizzy1234 wrote:
Hi Synchrony,

Thank you for posting about your admission. I recently decided to get my MBA and I'm wondering if you could help with the following question:

How much does undergrad GPA matter? I have a 2.8 from undergrad (family/financial reasons, international with no support structure etc). I have since been advancing in the biotech industry, and right now working on developing a COVID vaccine. If I get a high GMAT score of ~750, what do you think about my chances of getting in?

Thank you so much!

Hi Lizzy,

Unfortunately I don't have a background in MBA admissions, so I wouldn't be able to comment on your chances. I would suggest that you do an honest self-assessment of what you think your competitiveness is as an applicant, and compare the results of that assessment with the effort you're willing to put into the application (FYI---putting together a solid application for any top school takes a lot of effort). If you decide that it's worth the effort, then go for it.
GMAT Club Bot