Last visit was: 08 Jun 2024, 22:35 It is currently 08 Jun 2024, 22:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 630209 [11]
Given Kudos: 82187
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1075 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9350 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
A box contains some Blue balls and 9 Red balls. If the probability tha [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Given- first two balls removed without replacement are red, so the probability of this = \(\frac{9}{(9+x)} * \frac{8}{(8+x)} = \frac{6}{11}\). Solving this you'd get \(x = -20 , 3\). Since, \(-20\) is not possible, you \(x = 3\) i.e no. of Blue balls.
Now, the question asks what's probability that the third ball randomly removed without replacement of the balls drawn is a blue ball?
And here's where the confusion arises, if the question solely wants to know the probability of an individual third event, then it would be \(\frac{3}{10}\), which is option (C), not 3/12 as two red balls have been removed from the available set.
But, if the question wants to know the probability of the third ball being blue given that the first two are red, then we would need to multiply \(\frac{3}{10}\)*\(\frac{6}{11}\) = \(\frac{9}{55}\), which is option (D).
So, I am not quite sure what is it that the question really wants to know. Dear IanStewart your thoughts? Is this language gmat-like? Or am I just not reading the question properly?

First, you can avoid the quadratic altogether here. If the probability of picking two red balls in a row is as high as 6/11, most of the balls will need to be red. If there are n balls in total, the probability the first two are red is

9/n * 8/(n-1)

and for that to equal 6/11, we need to get an '11' in the denominator somehow, so if n is not much larger than 9, n can only be 11 or 12. If n were anything else not much bigger than 9, the product above would never cancel down to 6/11. So we can just check either of those two values, or notice that 11 is clearly too small, and find n = 12 that way. So there are 3 blue and 9 red balls.

Now the wording of the question is problematic, and as I read it, I'd think the answer is 3/12, which is not among the choices. The question could mean one of three things:

- knowing there are 3 blue and 9 red balls, if you pick three balls without replacement, what is the probability the third ball is blue? The answer to this question is 3/12, and this is the way I'd interpret the wording. The question never explicitly says that we know in advance we've made two red selections before picking the third ball, which is why I'd never assume that reading a question with this wording.

- knowing that there are 3 blue and 9 red balls, if you pick three balls without replacement, and you know the first two balls are red, what is the probability the third ball is blue? This is not what the question says, but it's what the question means, and the answer to this question is 3/10.

- knowing that there are 3 blue and 9 red balls, if you pick three balls without replacement, what is the probability the first two balls are red and the third ball is blue? This is the question you answered above, where you got 9/55. Of the three possible interpretations, this is the only one I don't think is reasonable; the question only asks about the probability the third selection is a certain colour, not that the first three selections are certain colours, so we shouldn't be multiplying by 6/11.

I understood your meaning, but I've highlighted one phrase in your post that I think you didn't mean to use -- if we say "given the first two balls are red, what is the probability the third ball is blue?" that means "assuming you know the first two selections were red, what is the probability the third selection is blue?" which is what the question means to ask, and the answer to that question is 3/10. You instead meant something like "given the probability the first two are red is 6/11, what is the probability the first two are red and the third is blue?" and the answer to that question is 9/55.

edit: I forgot which colours were which when writing my post, so I had "red" and "blue" backwards, hopefully I fixed everything.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: A box contains some Blue balls and 9 Red balls. If the probability tha [#permalink]
We know the no. of red balls but we don't know no. of blue balls so that let that be x. In the question it is given probability that two balls randomly removed without replacement from the box are Red is 6/11 which means---> 6/11= 9/ (9+x)* 8/(8+x). hence we come to know that x is 3. Which means there were total of 12 balls- 9 red and 3 blue. Now the question asks- what is the probability that the third ball randomly removed without replacement of the balls drawn is a blue ball-- ans is 3/10 (we take 3 because there are 3 blue balls and 10 balls left in the bag after two balls randomly removed without replacement ).

Hope this helps!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Send PM
Re: A box contains some Blue balls and 9 Red balls. If the probability tha [#permalink]
I think this question could have been worded better.

A box contains some Blue balls and 9 Red balls. If the probability that two balls randomly removed without replacement from the box are Red is 6/11, what is the probability that the third ball randomly removed without replacement of the balls drawn is a blue ball?"

The sections highlighted in red make the question confusing as it appears a sequential process. I would love to know what would be the question if the first two balls had to be considered in the probability calculation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
First two without replacement being red means

9/x * (8/(x-1)) = 6/11 --> 6(x)(x-1) = 9*8*11 --> x(x-1) = 3*4*11 =12*11 --> x^2 - 1 -12*11 = 0 --> (x-12)(x+11) = 0 x=12. so B = 3
so p = 3/10 OA is C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93612 posts