GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB (A)
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 04:57
vaibhav2209 wrote:
Hey,
i would like to know my chances for Early bird entry option with ISB,

10th- 9 CGPA
12th- 88.88%

9,04/10 - DISTINCITION top 10% of the batch of 240 cadets- Btech Marine Engineering - Collab program between TOLANI MARITIME institute, Pune and BITS, Pilani.
so have dual degree from both these institutes.

yet to give GMAT

College extracurricular and achievs:

Academic:
1) Merit scholarship holder for all semester, having got total scholarship worth 3-4 lacs.
2) Special Recognition as a topper in management subjects, including principles of management, costing, ship operations, operational research.
3) final year project where my team designed a sprinkler system for a Bangladesh ferry - just a final year projects for higher CGPA attaining cadets.

Leadership roles:
1) class representative
2) VICE Deputy cadet captain - being From a maritime academy we followed a similar culture to an indian navy institute where we were divided into 4 squadrons, in this role i was responsible for assisting senior captains in hostel management and assisting warden and training faculty to maintain discipline. Commanding a batch of 60 junior cadets
3) Deputy cadet captain - A role given to select few all round cadets in the final year, responsible for managing their squadrons, usually a batch of around 200-250 cadets.

Sports: Active participant in inter house/squadron events: football, athletics and March Past

Work experience and Internships:
Campus placed with NYK ship management, a subsidary of NYK line, one of the largest shipping company in the world.

1) 4 month internship as a cadet on a container ship, which was one of the largest ship when it was built, managed by NYK
visited over 12 countries and worked with a mix crew of 11 different nationalities.

2) After graduating in 2018, worked as a junior marine engineer with NYK, working on 2 contracts 4 months each, one on a container vessel and other on LNG carrier, Natural Gas.

Left NYK, last august. Got injured on ship and had to leave due to health issues.

3) Amidst looking for shore opportunities which are less worked as an operational management intern with a startup : The startup atmosphere of big goals and limited resources gave me an opportunity to work in multiple domains of supply chain in a product based company, right from logistics and inventory management to production and packaging.

4) Since, February i have started working as junior broker with a ship brokerage house. I work in natural gas market in india and work for clients like the major 3 oil PSUs of india. In this role i assist clients and senior brokers to fix a ship and cargo for our clients.

I would like an evaluation of my profile for ISB early bird entry since i am yet to complete 2 full years of working experience.

Hi Vaibhav,

While your acads are commendable, I see a challenge around demonstrating instances of consistent achievements, leadership, etc. in your application. The work-ex is currently a mix of short stints across a couple of firms in different capacity. By the time you apply, you'd have ~6 months' experience in the current stint. You would have a better chance applying next year under the regular category with a couple of key projects at the ship brokerage house for a year or so.
Usually, EEO admits have a continuous & consistent work-ex and are able to demonstrate impact in a short span of time.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for further queries.

Regards,
Manan

End-to-end admissions mentoring services to help you get into your dream MBA program

Reach out for a free essay review and profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 05:03
S4G wrote:
vaibhav2209 wrote:
Hey,

10th- 9 CGPA
12th- 88.88%

9,04/10 - DISTINCITION top 10% of the batch of 240 cadets- Btech Marine Engineering - Collab program between TOLANI MARITIME institute, Pune and BITS, Pilani.

yet to give GMAT

Academic:
1) Merit scholarship holder for all semester, having got total scholarship worth 3-4 lacs.
2) Special Recognition as a topper in management subjects, including principles of management, costing, ship operations, operational research.
3) final year project where my team designed a sprinkler system for a Bangladesh ferry - just a final year projects for higher CGPA attaining cadets.

Leadership roles:
1) class representative
2) VICE Deputy cadet captain - being From a maritime academy we followed a similar culture to an indian navy institute where we were divided into 4 squadrons, in this role i was responsible for assisting senior captains in hostel management and assisting warden and training faculty to maintain discipline. Commanding a batch of 60 junior cadets
3) Deputy cadet captain - A role given to select few all round cadets in the final year, responsible for managing their squadrons, usually a batch of around 200-250 cadets.

Sports: Active participant in inter house/squadron events: football, athletics and March Past

Campus placed with NYK ship management, a subsidary of NYK line, one of the largest shipping company in the world.

1) 4 month internship as a cadet on a container ship, which was one of the largest ship when it was built, managed by NYK
visited over 12 countries and worked with a mix crew of 11 different nationalities.

2) After graduating in 2018, worked as a junior marine engineer with NYK, working on 2 contracts 4 months each, one on a container vessel and other on LNG carrier, Natural Gas.

Left NYK, last august. Got injured on ship and had to leave due to health issues.

3) Amidst looking for shore opportunities which are less worked as an operational management intern with a startup : The startup atmosphere of big goals and limited resources gave me an opportunity to work in multiple domains of supply chain in a product based company, right from logistics and inventory management to production and packaging.

4) Since, February i have started working as junior broker with a ship brokerage house. I work in natural gas market in india and work for clients like the major 3 oil PSUs of india. In this role i assist clients and senior brokers to fix a ship and cargo for our clients.

I would like an evaluation of my profile for ISB early bird entry since i am yet to complete 2 full years of working experience.

Hi Vaibhav,

While your acads are commendable, I see a challenge around demonstrating instances of consistent achievements, leadership, etc. in your application. The work-ex is currently a mix of short stints across a couple of firms in different capacity. By the time you apply, you'd have ~6 months' experience in the current stint. You would have a better chance applying next year under the regular category with a couple of key projects at the ship brokerage house for a year or so.
Usually, EEO admits have a continuous & consistent work-ex and are able to demonstrate impact in a short span of time.

Regards,
Manan

Thanks, I understand it better now. However due you feel I have a diverse enough profile to give me an edge and so what GMAT score should I target.
Also, is working for a smaller firm any disadvantage , I do have NYK in my CV which is a big name in it's industry. However, of the major brokerage firms in India we are a small firm. Though we compete with others in the same market.

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 05:16
vaibhav2209 wrote:
S4G wrote:
vaibhav2209 wrote:
Hey,

10th- 9 CGPA
12th- 88.88%

yet to give GMAT

Academic:

Leadership roles:
1) class representative

Hi Vaibhav,

Regards,
Manan

Thanks, I understand it better now. However due you feel I have a diverse enough profile to give me an edge and so what GMAT score should I target.
Also, is working for a smaller firm any disadvantage , I do have NYK in my CV which is a big name in it's industry. However, of the major brokerage firms in India we are a small firm. Though we compete with others in the same market.

Thanks.

While engineering graduates are aplenty within any class, marine engineering focus and experience is not as much. Hence, it is a diverse enough package that you bring in. With your experience level and acad prowess, 720+ will complement well.
Working for a small firm is not a disadvantage at all. In general, WHAT YOU DID is at a slightly higher priority than WHERE YOU DID. Hence, focus on that.

All the best!

End-to-end admissions mentoring services to help you get into your dream MBA program

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '21, Rotman
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 May 2020, 05:14
Thank you so much, Manan. That's quite encouraging! :)
I have made a note of the points you have mentioned, and will work on these at the application stage! Thanks, again!

Can you also suggest other colleges that I can try and target? S4G

S4G wrote:
KaumudiT wrote:
Hi - would really appreciate an analysis of my profile as well. Below is my profile - I am keen to look at marketing and/or strategy studies oriented MBA programmes. Need help with shortlisting colleges - my preference is towards 1 - year programmes like the one at ISB Hyderabad, but open to other programmes too. Thanks!

I am 26 years old and come from a communication and marketing background with work ex of 4 years. Graduated from University of Delhi with BA Hons in Journalism, where I studied several subjects like political science, economics, international relations, print, radio and TV journalism, and marketing and advertising, besides others.

From there on, got interested in marketing and studied at the Indian Institute of Mass Comm for a PG Diploma in Advertising and PR.

I have 4+ years of work experience, including a currently ongoing 2+ year stint at a leading international airline where I am responsible for consumer marketing portfolio.

Here are my scores:
10th Std - 85.4%
12th Std (Science) - 77%
Graduation - 75.25%
PG Diploma - 72.05%
GMAT (expected, yet to take the exam) - 690-710

I was awarded the Public Relations Society of India (PRSI) Award in 2016; and was nominated by my firm for a 30 Under 30 Industry Award. I have worked with a Delhi based NGO working in the space of emotional education of children for about 1-1.5 years. I also have a lot of internships at college level with organizations like Indian Express and BBDO (ad agency). Post my degrees after school consisted of several live projects like documentary film-making, authoring original dissertations, radio programmes, ad film-making, award-winning capstone project for a leading Home Care brand.

Hi Kaumudi!

Your profile is a very diverse one if we look at the usual class mix at ISB (majority engineers or commerce backgrounds) so that is an edge from the start!
- Considering the field of study, you scores at college and PG diploma are good. The target GMAT score will complement well with them so march on!
- Prima facie, your work-ex will also stand out with the award nomination and consumer marketing experience at the airline you're working for. You should demonstrate a couple of traits in the application with examples (where you demonstrated ownership, leadership, went beyond call of duty, etc) on how you'd add value to your peers at ISB
- For extra-curricular, the challenge for you would be to bring all the diverse activities you have into a coherent story and structure in your application. A healthy problem of plenty :)

You have a strong chance at getting through. All the best!

Regards,
Manan
Co-founder, S4G | ISB Class of 2013

Originally posted by KaumudiT on 22 May 2020, 05:32.
Last edited by KaumudiT on 26 May 2020, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator - Masters Forum
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2020, 07:09
AmbivrtOptmst wrote:
Hello!

Going through my profile details below, it could be observed that there is not much extracurricular. It could be attributed to only one reason my confusion :| . I have always been inclined towards the technical front of my field and as such have done lots of overtime. Over the time in my career progression I realized that I wanted more. Hence, I am now, over past few months, doing research over MBA Programs.

X(std) : 88% CBSE
XII(std) : 75% CBSE (Physics,Chem,Math with Information Practices)
Graduated with B.E degree in 2014 from Nagpur University(AIU & ACU affiliated) with 64% in the four year course of Computer Technology.

Immediately joined Tech Mahindra Ltd. as Associate Software Engineer. Worked for 4.5 years and promoted to Software Engineer.
Joined Infosys Ltd. soon and I am currently working here as Technology Analyst. Right now my experience is 6 yrs.

In both the organisations I was a part of team having 7-8 members. Though, I didn't have the role of a Lead, I have groomed few juniors/freshers under me. Guiding through the business as well technical fronts. Assigning tasks on day-to-day basis and also assisting in completion of it. I have also worked on various technologies : starting from legacy tech - Mainframe to Java.

I am said to be inclined towards creative approach in all the work I do. I am a painter and have occasionally also participated in cultural activities in both the companies.

I am looking forward to join 21-22 class and planning to take GMAT at year end. Please let me know if my profile works out.

Hi, Welcome to GMATClub. For your profile you should aim 700+ GMAT score to get admitted. All the best for your preparation.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 21:19
soniabindra wrote:
Age-22
10th , icse - 89.5%
12th , isc- 73%

GMAT-yet to write

Graduation- 8.63/10 Bcom Hons with specialization in finance and investment from Christ University
Extra curricular- 3rd position in street play

Work experience- 1 year in Bosch as a Process Associate

Worked as part of the Invoice Processing team under Accounts Payable.
Got the Spot award in December

Extra Courses- Human Resource Management, Psychoanalytic Studies, Excel, Course on Blockchain and Bitcoin and Course on Improving Global Health with regard to Safety and Quality( from Harvard University)

Dear soniabindra,

Are you planning to apply for ISB CO22 ? If yes, I think you should wait to gain more work ex before applying. Thus my honest suggestion to you right now would be to focus on your work - take initiatives - get into leadership role if possible - take GMAT potentially in Q1 2021 - aim for a score of 710+ - and then apply for CO23

Cheers and best of luck
M| +91-9701215544
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2020, 21:21
TheAjayBaliga wrote:
Hi. Would like my profile to be evaluated.

GMAT: Yet to give

Class X: 9.2 CGPA
Class XII: 93.4%
BCom (Christ University): 3.6/4 GPA
Cleared all 3 levels of the CFA exams as well with greater than 70% in most of the subjects.

Extra Curriculars-
Was part of the quizzing team and won an Inter College quiz event.
As a policy enthusiast, took part at a deanery level panel discussion regarding the implementation of GST.

Work Experience -
3 years at a Fintech start-up. Was one of the youngest members at a start. Led a team of 8 people despite being the youngest member.

Helped scale the start-up from seed stage to the series a stage by actively being involved with the core team (including the CEO) to develop the Platform.

Part of my job is to interact with clients and resolve queries regarding details of various PE/VC deals.

Right now, I'm spearheading the initiative to write reports on deals and sectors.

Although the title of my role is Financial Analyst, it is an all round role which also involves aspects of product development.

What would be a good GMAT score based on my profile?

Dear TheAjayBaliga,

Hope you are doing well and staying safe.

I am an ISB alum CO105 and have been guiding applicants in their admission journeys since then. Below is my take on your profile.

GMAT score: You should aim for a score of 690+
Academics: Average –Commerce degree with a CFA makes you stand out from the heavily crowded pool of engineering applicants.

Work Experience: Average
Pros – Exposure to leadership role at the start of the career itself ; Being part of the journey from conceptualization – to seed – to expansion phase is definitely a strong point in your arsenal.
Cons – It is not clear from the description of your experience whether your contribution was more in the finance side or the technology side. Additionally, the title Financial Analyst seems to give a completely different image than what you have mentioned your role to be – you do not want adcom to perceive you in different light.

Extracurricular: Average – The policy making initiative / involvement definitely has a potential to become a spark in your profile. However, you will have to explain the level of involvement you have in such topics – your point of view – and how frequently do you take part in such discussions – a one off thing is not worthy of mentioning in the application.

My overall feedback would be on the following lines:
• You will need to demonstrate leadership skills in professional life very clearly in the application with suitable examples. Ex. How you led the multiple product iterations by coordinating with engineers, designers, management, users and subject matter experts.
• It seems that you have recently transitioned into a new and interesting role. Why do you want to do an MBA then? Your motivation to do a MBA has to be logical and pragmatic. Further, the MBA should complement your current work experience, at together should make in a good position to contribute strongly in your post MBA role.
• I definitely see a number of sparks in your profile, but you will need to stitch them all together and portray from the application how you will add value to the ISB cohort based on your uniqueness.

Wish you all the best for your application and do reach out to me again in case you need dedicated support from my end to craft a high impact application.

Cheers
M| +91-9701215544
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 02:20
Hi,
I would like to know my chances for Early Entry Option (EEO) at ISB.

10th - 8.6 CGPA (86%) (CBSE)
12th - 79.2 % (CBSE)
Graduation - Electronics (Instrumentation & Control), Thapar Univerisity Patiala, 6.6 CGPA (66%)
Work Ex - 6 Months internship + 12 Month Work Ex (as on 31-06-2020), both at Deloitte as a Data Analyst (Tax)
GMAT Score - 700 (Q49 V36)

NO GAP YEARS during schooling, college or job. 3 backlogs during undergraduation (cleared at first attempt after re-appearing).

Extra-Curricular -
1. More than 20 medal positions at inter-school and inter/intra university level competitions. (Athletics and Football)
2. Regional level participant at CBSE Clusters (Athletics)
3. Social work experience from 3rd standard till college. (Around 5-7 Social Work certificates)
4. Various positions held at University level (Finance Head, Marketing Head of various university-level societies)
5. Planning to start a tree plantation company (NGO/StartUp) to improve my social work experience (Please post your suggestions on this idea)

If not in EEO, do I stand a chance in the normal entry after a work experience of 4-5 years at other big firms like Amazon, JP Morgan etc?

Thankyou so much for your help in advance :)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'21, NUS, HEC Montreal, NTU
Premium Member
ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2020, 03:06
Hope you all are doing well and staying safe as we live through these apocalyptic days.

I was hoping if someone could evaluate my profile and help me figure out my chances of getting into ISB Co'22.

GMAT: Yet to take the exam
Background: Indian Engineering Male (The worst possible trio :( you read it right)

Acads:
1) Class X: 93.4% (ICSE Board)
2) Class XII: 85.0% (State Board) - Awarded scholarship by State Govt for performance within top 1% of HSC Board
3) Graduation: Bachelor of Engineering with an 8/10 CGPA (not sure if ISB wants us to convert this to GPA)
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:
- Currently working with a bulge bracket Investment Bank for 32 months. I have consistently been a strong performer in my batch year and team which helped me get a fast-track promotion last year. I was also the first analyst to be deputed to Los Angeles to work with the onshore team for one month. Started as a junior analyst, I am now the senior most member in my team (after my manager) and hence entrusted with a lot of leadership responsibilities. Although not being the manager on paper I still actively contribute in managing the team members, team's work, and coordinating with all the relevant stakeholders (Not sure if this helps demonstrate Leadership skills - as I'm not the manager on paper). In addition to that I have solely trained ~11 juniors on topics such as valuation and capital structure comparison.

Apart from all of this I have been an active participant in firm wide activities including CSR and participating in competitions. I was also ranked among the top 10% (in a batch of 30) in the Analyst training program conducted by The WallStreetWiz.

I have also worked on several multi million dollar deals including acquisition financing, capital structure strategies, and treasury deals.

Co-curricular activities:
- Elected as Head Boy for Academic year 2010-11 based on the scholastic performance & leadership capabilities
- Represented Mumbai University for a National Level Robotics Competition at IIT Delhi
- IEEE (an International Student Body) Chairperson for my engineering college. During that time I spearheaded several inter & intra college events & symposiums. The highlight remains my team and I organizing "The International Symposium on Internet of Things" in collaboration with a US based startup
- Active coordinator of IEEE Bombay Section (which includes 100+ engineering colleges)

Extra-curricular activities:
- Marketing head of college’s Cultural and Technical Fest
- Student Ambassador of the NGO - Indian Development Foundation
- Campus Ambassador for The Grapevine Co. (which included working with clients like MTV and ITC)

Courses:
- Portfolio and Risk Management by Indian School of Business on Coursera

Others:
- I had co-founded a start-up (earlier this year) with my friend but we had to shut shop because our business model was severely impacted by COVID-19. However we still had some initial success and were able to get a couple of clients on board. (Not sure if i can put this failed attempt on my resume) - Kindly advice.

Hobbies:
- Modelling (a few print media advertisements), Acting, & Football

Thank you so much for reading through such a long post. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances at ISB Co'22, my target score, and any other advice.

P.S: Do you think getting into ISB this year will be tougher than ever before with the surge in applicants (thinking this is a good year to get an MBA) and ~1/4 of the 2021 batch deferring.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 08:30
2prex wrote:
Hi,

12th - 79.2 % (CBSE)
Graduation - Electronics (Instrumentation & Control), Thapar Univerisity Patiala, 6.6 CGPA (66%)
Work Ex - 6 Months internship + 12 Month Work Ex (as on 31-06-2020), both at Deloitte as a Data Analyst (Tax)

NO GAP YEARS during schooling, college or job. 3 backlogs during undergraduation (cleared at first attempt after re-appearing).

Extra-Curricular -
1. More than 20 medal positions at inter-school and inter/intra university level competitions. (Athletics and Football)
3. Social work experience from 3rd standard till college. (Around 5-7 Social Work certificates)
4. Various positions held at University level (Finance Head, Marketing Head of various university-level societies)
5. Planning to start a tree plantation company (NGO/StartUp) to improve my social work experience (Please post your suggestions on this idea)

If not in EEO, do I stand a chance in the normal entry after a work experience of 4-5 years at other big firms like Amazon, JP Morgan etc?

Hey!

Your acads don't stand out, average scores throughout along with backlogs. Based on what you've shared, the achievements in sport and you GMAT score are the two silver linings in your overall profile. Here are the suggested next steps and thoughts on your query
- Provide a bit more color on you work-ex. What are you working on, instances where you demonstrated leadership, etc
- Try taking the GMAT again in case you are able to hit 720+
- You should focus on getting a rich work-ex for a couple of years with a few high-impact projects where you can a) grow as a professional and b) demonstrate the value you brought to the table. WHAT (+HOW) you do matters more than WHERE you do it. Deloitte is as good a brand as the ones you listed
- If you intend to embark on the NGO journey, do it for the cause and your interest in doing so. This positively impacting your application is only and second order outcome. Adcoms and interviewers are easily able to see through the efforts done for the sake of improving the social sector experience. A number of candidates do that!

In summary, applying through the regular route next year has better chances than EEO. However, if you want to get an experience of going through the application cycle, then do give it a shot this year. The process demands a lot of introspection which will be helpful next year.

All the best!

-
Manan

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 08:57
S4G wrote:
2prex wrote:
Hi,

12th - 79.2 % (CBSE)

Extra-Curricular -

Hey!

Your acads don't stand out, average scores throughout along with backlogs. Based on what you've shared, the achievements in sport and you GMAT score are the two silver linings in your overall profile. Here are the suggested next steps and thoughts on your query
- Provide a bit more color on you work-ex. What are you working on, instances where you demonstrated leadership, etc
- Try taking the GMAT again in case you are able to hit 720+
- You should focus on getting a rich work-ex for a couple of years with a few high-impact projects where you can a) grow as a professional and b) demonstrate the value you brought to the table. WHAT (+HOW) you do matters more than WHERE you do it. Deloitte is as good a brand as the ones you listed
- If you intend to embark on the NGO journey, do it for the cause and your interest in doing so. This positively impacting your application is only and second order outcome. Adcoms and interviewers are easily able to see through the efforts done for the sake of improving the social sector experience. A number of candidates do that!

In summary, applying through the regular route next year has better chances than EEO. However, if you want to get an experience of going through the application cycle, then do give it a shot this year. The process demands a lot of introspection which will be helpful next year.

All the best!

-
Manan

Thanks a lot for your honest feedback :)
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 09:04
Iceman2020 wrote:
Hope you all are doing well and staying safe as we live through these apocalyptic days.

I was hoping if someone could evaluate my profile and help me figure out my chances of getting into ISB Co'22.

Background: Indian Engineering Male (The worst possible trio :( you read it right)

Acads:
2) Class XII: 85.0% (State Board) - Awarded scholarship by State Govt for performance within top 1% of HSC Board
3) Graduation: Bachelor of Engineering with an 8/10 CGPA (not sure if ISB wants us to convert this to GPA)
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:
- Currently working with a bulge bracket Investment Bank for 32 months. I have consistently been a strong performer in my batch year and team which helped me get a fast-track promotion last year. I was also the first analyst to be deputed to Los Angeles to work with the onshore team for one month. Started as a junior analyst, I am now the senior most member in my team (after my manager) and hence entrusted with a lot of leadership responsibilities. Although not being the manager on paper I still actively contribute in managing the team members, team's work, and coordinating with all the relevant stakeholders (Not sure if this helps demonstrate Leadership skills - as I'm not the manager on paper). In addition to that I have solely trained ~11 juniors on topics such as valuation and capital structure comparison.

Apart from all of this I have been an active participant in firm wide activities including CSR and participating in competitions. I was also ranked among the top 10% (in a batch of 30) in the Analyst training program conducted by The WallStreetWiz.

I have also worked on several multi million dollar deals including acquisition financing, capital structure strategies, and treasury deals.

- Elected as Head Boy for Academic year 2010-11 based on the scholastic performance & leadership capabilities
- Represented Mumbai University for a National Level Robotics Competition at IIT Delhi
- IEEE (an International Student Body) Chairperson for my engineering college. During that time I spearheaded several inter & intra college events & symposiums. The highlight remains my team and I organizing "The International Symposium on Internet of Things" in collaboration with a US based startup
- Active coordinator of IEEE Bombay Section (which includes 100+ engineering colleges)

- Campus Ambassador for The Grapevine Co. (which included working with clients like MTV and ITC)

Courses:

Others:
- I had co-founded a start-up (earlier this year) with my friend but we had to shut shop because our business model was severely impacted by COVID-19. However we still had some initial success and were able to get a couple of clients on board. (Not sure if i can put this failed attempt on my resume) - Kindly advice.

Hobbies:

Thank you so much for reading through such a long post. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my chances at ISB Co'22, my target score, and any other advice.

P.S: Do you think getting into ISB this year will be tougher than ever before with the surge in applicants (thinking this is a good year to get an MBA) and ~1/4 of the 2021 batch deferring.

Hello Iceman (inspired from X-Men or Top Gun? Looking at your age, I'll bet on the former :) )
Majority of the ISB cohort falls in the IEM category but what matters more is your experience after that!
- You have decent acads and CFA L1 adds a dimension to them. In case not already thinking, you should consider taking the L2 exam in December now that the dates have been extended
- The work-ex is strong (and a departure from IEM!) within core finance and will stand out. You have a couple of nice achievements and should be used to demonstrate what you bring to the table in the application
- For the start-up, yes it should be incorporated and I'm sure there would be a great deal of lessons learnt you can talk about in the interview
- The co-curricular, ECA and hobbies complete the whole package and demonstrate the diversity you have and are pursuing

The challenge for you would be how you bring everything together in a coherent and impactful structure, especially in the 'why you' essay.

Regarding GMAT, you should aim for a 710+ which would complement the overall package.

This year, getting into ISB would be tougher as you rightly pointed out not just due to the deferring but also since this is the best time to go for an MBA while the economy is in hiatus and bounces back by 2022/23. Hence, it would be all the more prudent to apply in R1 since you will have a shot at all the seats and there might not be a R3 like previous years.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for a chat!

Cheers,
Manan

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'21, NUS, HEC Montreal, NTU
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 13:05
S4G wrote:
Iceman2020 wrote:

Acads:
4) Cleared CFA Level 1

Work Experience:

Courses:

Others:

Hobbies:

Hello Iceman (inspired from X-Men or Top Gun? Looking at your age, I'll bet on the former :) )
Majority of the ISB cohort falls in the IEM category but what matters more is your experience after that!
- You have decent acads and CFA L1 adds a dimension to them. In case not already thinking, you should consider taking the L2 exam in December now that the dates have been extended
- The work-ex is strong (and a departure from IEM!) within core finance and will stand out. You have a couple of nice achievements and should be used to demonstrate what you bring to the table in the application
- For the start-up, yes it should be incorporated and I'm sure there would be a great deal of lessons learnt you can talk about in the interview
- The co-curricular, ECA and hobbies complete the whole package and demonstrate the diversity you have and are pursuing

The challenge for you would be how you bring everything together in a coherent and impactful structure, especially in the 'why you' essay.

Regarding GMAT, you should aim for a 710+ which would complement the overall package.

This year, getting into ISB would be tougher as you rightly pointed out not just due to the deferring but also since this is the best time to go for an MBA while the economy is in hiatus and bounces back by 2022/23. Hence, it would be all the more prudent to apply in R1 since you will have a shot at all the seats and there might not be a R3 like previous years.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out for a chat!

Cheers,
Manan

Hi Manan,

I agree with your approach to conclude that X-men was the inspiration for my user name, but incidentally i'm a sucker for old Hollywood movies and so Val Kilmer's character is the actual reason :P

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I'll keep in mind all the points that you have said.

But will also need some guidance from an expert like you and would like to know the best way to get in touch.

One follow-up question on your point of R1. Do you anticipate ISB to push deadlines for R1 this year? Given that there was so much uncertainty because of COVID-19 and the online GMAT exam.

Best,
Garvit
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 13:18
Hi

I was hoping if anyone could review my profile for my chances for ISB Co'21

Female, 28
10th: 92.2% (CBSE). Was school topper.
12th: 82.8% (CBSE)

Mechanical Engineering from MIT, Pune: 62.8%

MBA from Department of Management Sciences, Pune University: 8.6 CGPA

Post MBA experience: 2.5 years in a market research firm. That's my total work experience.
Currently not working. Last designation: Research Analyst
Not working since October 2019. Since then have taken up a few courses and certifications such as MySQL and Digital Marketing

Other certifications: Data Driven decision making from PwC, Google Analytics for Beginners

Planning for another MBA. Yet to take GMAT.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Jones (A)
GRE 1: Q160 V153
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 01:37
I am looking for ISB class of 2022.

My Educational profile
X : 74%
XII: 80%
Btech (Chemical engineering) : 60% (Hyd)(2004)
MS (Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M Univ Kingsville) : 3.15 (GPA) (2008)
Overall work exp : 13+ (with 3 companies)
Extracurricular: First member, then Vice President and later as a mentor for Young engineers society at a work place.
Started Indian Student Association
Student Council member
Various volunteering activities

First shot at GMAT 490 (half-A** preparation) Mock tests (590-640 range)

What should I target my GMAT score for me to get into ISB. I am looking at ISB as a medium to get back to India.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 09:06
Hi

Kindly review my profile

UG degree in fashion design - 8/10 CGPA
PG degree in Fashion management studies (from NIFT) - 8/10 CGPA
4 years of work experience in fashion retail planning

Received academic excellence award in UG and Student of the year award in PG

What should be the GMAT score that I should aim for to secure a seat in ISB?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 23:34
Thank you so much, Manan. That's quite encouraging! :)
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 11:18
shalakhapunekar wrote:
Hi

I was hoping if anyone could review my profile for my chances for ISB Co'21

Female, 28
10th: 92.2% (CBSE). Was school topper.
12th: 82.8% (CBSE)

Mechanical Engineering from MIT, Pune: 62.8%

MBA from Department of Management Sciences, Pune University: 8.6 CGPA

Post MBA experience: 2.5 years in a market research firm. That's my total work experience.
Currently not working. Last designation: Research Analyst
Not working since October 2019. Since then have taken up a few courses and certifications such as MySQL and Digital Marketing

Other certifications: Data Driven decision making from PwC, Google Analytics for Beginners

Planning for another MBA. Yet to take GMAT.

Hi,

Your work experience is a little lesser as compared to your age. I guess that's because of the first MBA, or are their other gaps in your work history?
By the time you apply to ISB (assuming you apply in R1), it would be almost a year of not being employed if you don't get yourself a job - and bschools are never too happy about that. I am going to suggest that you get into a job first. While professional certifications are good, but they can also be done while working, so they will not provide you a reason to not be employed.
Second, b-schools will want to know valid reasons for why you want a second MBA.

MBA Decoder is a team of consultants from LBS, Stanford, Kellogg and INSEAD. Our applicants have studied at Wharton, Stanford, LBS, Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, ISB, to name a few. We specialize in building MBA/MS applications from scratch to finish.

Book a FREE profile evaluation with us OR write to us at: contact@mbadecoder.com
SVP
SVP
V

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 11:23
Yogisharma wrote:
Hi

Kindly review my profile

UG degree in fashion design - 8/10 CGPA
PG degree in Fashion management studies (from NIFT) - 8/10 CGPA
4 years of work experience in fashion retail planning

Received academic excellence award in UG and Student of the year award in PG

What should be the GMAT score that I should aim for to secure a seat in ISB?

Hi,

Its always beneficial to have a 700+ GMAT score. That said, the GMAT score is one evaluation component- your work experience and related achievements, leadership potential, extra-curricular interests and overall academics being equally important.

MBA Decoder is a team of consultants from LBS, Stanford, Kellogg and INSEAD. Our applicants have studied at Wharton, Stanford, LBS, Kellogg, Tuck, INSEAD, ISB, to name a few. We specialize in building MBA/MS applications from scratch to finish.

Book a FREE profile evaluation with us OR write to us at: contact@mbadecoder.com
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 11:31
insrutable82 wrote:
I am looking for ISB class of 2022.

My Educational profile
X : 74%
XII: 80%
Btech (Chemical engineering) : 60% (Hyd)(2004)
MS (Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M Univ Kingsville) : 3.15 (GPA) (2008)
Overall work exp : 13+ (with 3 companies)
Extracurricular: First member, then Vice President and later as a mentor for Young engineers society at a work place.
Started Indian Student Association
Student Council member
Various volunteering activities

First shot at GMAT 490 (half-A** preparation) Mock tests (590-640 range)

What should I target my GMAT score for me to get into ISB. I am looking at ISB as a medium to get back to India.

Hello!
Typically with higher experience, the adcom is aware that you've not been in the rythm of acads or studying. Hence, GMAT becomes a lesser area of focus than your work-ex and more importantly, why you want an MBA at this stage of your career. You should target a 650+ but a better score won't hurt you :)

Your focus in the application should be to demonstrate what you bring to the class and also reasons beyond working in India to get into the program. Ask yourself, is this the only reason you want to join ISB and there's not other way to get into the Indian market?

Cheers
Manan

GMAT Club Bot
Re: ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!   [#permalink] 27 May 2020, 11:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  168   169   170   171   172  ...  191    Next  [ 3812 posts ] 

ISB PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Eval Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: LeoN88, elPatron434