Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation, Please - FT MBA -Unusual Older Applicant [#permalink]
solidify wrote:
Hi,

I am a Canadian caucasian male aged 32 working in Canada as a senior analyst in corporate strategy consulting at a big 4 firm. I am planning to do an MBA to advance within the firm (unless something striking happens). My profile is as follows:

Academics - Entered a top Canadian Undergrad in BSc Life Sciences, but was pursuing a music career full-time. Grades suffered dearly as I was off for weeks or months at a time, sometimes withdrawing from full years of the program. I didn't even go to my labs (though I received top grades for work I actually submitted) or complete many assignments or examinations. Did a BBA at a verrrry non-target low-tier university in Canada several years later.
First Undergraduate GPA: 2.83 BSc in 11.5 credits (unfinished). Second undergraduate BBA GPA: 3.7 equivalent (my guess in conversion. scored a perfect 100 in first year stats to boost my confidence).

GMAT: 760 (Q50, V42) done in one shot in 2nd year of BBA program with 9 days prep. Can re-do, no problem if score expires.

Work Experience - Right out of high school I started tutoring pro-bono and switched to undergraduate admissions consulting both volunteering and for private school clients to support myself during school and my music career. Was the touring bassist and marketing/PR manager for a rock band for 7 years and was told by bandmates and others in the business that I should study commerce. In order to pay for it, I worked for 2.5 years in Canadian equivalent of TSA (worked to Management in 1.5 years), but gave up route to Operations Manager in order to start my BBA. Post-BBA, entered big 4 firm as an analyst. Might have had slight knock at top firms, but unreputable institution killed most chance of that.

Extracurriculars - As stated before, tutored and secured admissions and scholarships for many underprivileged students over the years. In my first undergrad I founded a Jazz Combo/Club, playing at local jazz hotspots. At the BBA undergrad, I founded the campus business council overarching all business groups and founded the consulting club. I also won some case competitions and ran GMAT tutoring sessions.

MBA Goals - I plan to either advance at my firm or secure a senior position at a higher-profile firm. I have an entrepreneurial tinge, though, so if something bites me, I will pursue that full-out, despite my age.

Concern - Fairly obvious: Terrible first go at reasonable undergrad. Unreputable second undergrad. Advanced age with arguably little advancement relative to age-cohort peers due to years in band.

Targets: As high as I can reach. Drive is no issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

S.

I agree with the comment above. Your profile stands out with originality and a high GMAT but also unpredictability. I think any school would be very happy to have you as a student, but the question is, would they be happy with the way you represent them as an alumni?

I believe that part of doing an MBA is taking an unspoken oath to sacrifice much of your personal life for the good of whatever firm you end up working for. If you can convince the admissions committees that you are dependable (that you can buckle down for years at a time and focus on work before pass times), that might help your chances at a top school. But what do I know, I`m just a 27yr old engineer embarking on the MBA myself. Best of luck!

Where in Canada are you from, anyways?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks for the reply, Linda and Carl.

1) I am in Toronto.
2) I think I might have a chance at schools above the ones listed by Linda
3) I have no need for an MBA from lower-tier US colleges. I would get one in Canada if not Top-15
4) Would I have a better shot at Top-Tier Part-Time programs? That would limit recruitment should I want a switch.
5) Why might I not be qualified for top-15 schools, Linda?

Thank you.

S.

CarlMtl wrote:
I agree with the comment above. Your profile stands out with originality and a high GMAT but also unpredictability. I think any school would be very happy to have you as a student, but the question is, would they be happy with the way you represent them as an alumni?

I believe that part of doing an MBA is taking an unspoken oath to sacrifice much of your personal life for the good of whatever firm you end up working for. If you can convince the admissions committees that you are dependable (that you can buckle down for years at a time and focus on work before pass times), that might help your chances at a top school. But what do I know, I`m just a 27yr old engineer embarking on the MBA myself. Best of luck!

Where in Canada are you from, anyways?
GMAT Club Bot