Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.24
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Please - Military [#permalink]
Are you active duty or reserves? It's not real clear from your original post.

Also, keep in mind that your competition is going to be comprised of impressive military officers across all branches, so the trick is to craft your story so you can stand out against that crowd - not the civilian one.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am in the National Guard still, plan to resign my commission next year. My intent would be to focus on my leadership experience with the military (and private sector (project manager role)
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there jwatson,

Well, as you know a lot will depend on the GMAT, but let's start with your work experience. Without the National Guard/Army service, your profile would been good to average. Your school is fine, as your UG grades, and your work experience is pretty middle of the road. Thankfully though you have some amazing leadership in the military service which should propel your profile way beyond where it would normally allow you to apply to. Schools love military people, and they love leadership. Since they also love very high GMATS ( :) ) if you can get that 720+, I think that you are in the running for any school out there (although H/S/W might still be a bit of a challenge). You can do much better than Carlson, and I would urge to take your shot at better schools before making a decision to attend an MBA, and this is even if you do not improve upon your GMAT score!

So go ahead and take that GMAT, and get back to us with a bit more info about your leadership and achievements. You have a very nice, very strong profile, and with good essays and a good school list, you should see some nice results.

Best,
JF
Current Student
Send PM
Ok, I just got my decision email from Carlson today, and I was admitted for 2015. I don't know what they are offering for scholarship, but know it will be something, at least 50%. Am I crazy to walk away? I just don't get the feeling that they have the consulting placement that I really want access to as a result of an MBA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jwatson0405 wrote:
Ok, I just got my decision email from Carlson today, and I was admitted for 2015. I don't know what they are offering for scholarship, but know it will be something, at least 50%. Am I crazy to walk away? I just don't get the feeling that they have the consulting placement that I really want access to as a result of an MBA.

I wouldn't think you're crazy. It sounds like you threw your application together last minute and got accepted to a top 30-40ish school. Are you happy with that? You only get to do an MBA once, so putting it off a year and putting the necessary time and effort I to the application may be with it. The fact that you're considering not going to Carlson tells me you're not that excited about it.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
jwatson0405 wrote:

If consulting is something you really want to do, then in my opinion I would put it off and apply this year to the top 16 schools.
GMAT Club Bot