Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
Kudos
I am no expert but a couple of things that come to my mind are:

a) If you do plan to retake the gmat try and take it within the next month while its still fresh in your mind. (each attempt for me was nearly as good as taking it for the first time). Else I think a 700 coupled with a strong application (essays, EC distinguishing yourself from the general applicant pool) would work.

b) Since you are in the US you could try and build an alternate transcript to balance your gpa.

Hope that helps.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
saravalli wrote:
On June 14th,2008, (6 months ago) I took the GMAT for the first time and got 700 (Q49,V35) AWA 6.0
Instead of re-taking the test with in a month or two, I waited 6 months (to deal with some family issues) only to get 670 (Q49,V32) Waiting for AWA.

Please help me understand what kind of message am I passing to schools by going from 700 to 670? I am planning to apply in 2009. For now,I am very much leaning away from taking the test for the 3rd time. I am completely exhausted. But I am very confident that I can break 730 mark.
My profile:
Country of citizenship - Indian
Country of Residence - USA
Sex -male
Age - 28
Experience - 4 years in IT
Undergrad in India - GPA 3.0
Masters in Computer Engg in US - GPA 3.2 (Not in top 10, 20)
Extracurricular:
1: One Start up - Consulting company (infant stage) based in northeast with 3 clients.
(This is in very infant state , and I hesitate to mention this as one of my strengths for now. Probably, In another year I can improve this company)
2: Very much interested in math, worked as math tutor in India for 3 years during my under grad (1999 - 2002);
3: Games: Ping pong runner up in university games in undergrad;
4: Music: Can play harmonica - performed few solo shows (again in undergrad);
5: Interested in php open source web development, currently maintaining two websites.This really helped me in my start-up company.

Work Experience:
4 years of full time work experience in Health Care industry in USA. (Non-managerial position)
(German based company - one of the world leaders in health care industry.).
Worked in two different departments in the same company.
First two years in the department of Clinical Information Services.
Next two years in the department of Information Technology - SAP
(Production Planning & Materials Management )

Extra curricular negatives - no awards, did not raise any money, little community service.

Since my GPAs are terrible I thought I should get 730+ in GMAT. But to my surprise, I was staring at 670 on Saturday. Does this mean I am begging the adcoms NOT to let me in?

What should I do in the coming 9 months to improve my chances of getting into Elite / Ultra Elite schools? I am interested Consulting / General Management in schools in New England, NY,NH. Which schools do you recommend? Finally , do you recommend 3rd attempt at GMAT.

Many Thanks in advance for your time & Happy New Year!
saravalli.

Saravalli,

Happy New year to you too. My apologies for the tardy reply, but it's been busy.

You're not going to like this, but I think you should retake the GMATsince you are confident you can break 730, are coming from an intensely competitive subgroup, and have below average GPAs for both undergrad and grad. Alternatively, apply to schools with lower average GMATs. You're not begging them to reject you, but you are making it easy for them to do so.

Other steps to take during the next several months:
* Assume a leadership role either on the job or off.
* Clarify your career goal and typical career path.
* Narrow your choice of schools and include a safety school or two on the list.

BTW, my ebook, [url]=https://www.accepted.com/ecommerce/teleseminar.aspx#mbaBest Practices for MBA Admissions[/url], discussed in much greater detail what you should do in the 6-9 months prior to applying.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot