Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT (R2-ding), Stanford (R2), Haas (R3-Int), Columbia (RD-Feb)
 Q51  V41
GPA: First class Dist.
WE 1: 3 years IB
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request - chances at the top 10 bschools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chaoticsilence wrote:
my only concern is, how do i put forth my story of having obtained a bachelors in electronics engineering, having worked in investment banking (in the banks sector) and now wanting to move into consulting with a tech focus...

Thanks,
Ankur

Ankur:
This is the million dollar question; now isn't it? :shock: What you laid out, with respect to transferable skills, tells me that you are on the right path. Let me see if I can help you out a little more.

Explaining the jump from electronics engineering to investment banking is not really going to be a big issue. Why? Because you have already successfully made that jump. So there is really no debate at this point on whether or not that's reasonable or if you could accomplish that. What you need to focus on is explaining how your decisioning framework will still be valid in the future, when you seek out a new direction in your career -- consulting.

I would start looking at something like this -- moving into the consulting role so that you can use your analytical skills to help client firms indentify a technology strategy that they can use as a strategic differentiator. I know that is a mouth full, but you and I have been around technology projects long enough to know that they are more "oh ****" than "stitch in time saves nine". That is, they are usually an after-the-fact Band-Aid then something that is proactive in nature. Usually client companies have to be spanked on the buttocks by a regulatory agency or impending legislation before they will use technology to do anything strategic in nature. I used to see this all the time as a management consultant on IT projects.

Getting back to my main point, think you should start forming your message around the fact that you understand from an engineering perspective, you understand the financial implications of employing and now through your MBA training, as well as your future work experience, you will be an asset to any strategy firm.

Hope this helps. If you would like to speak on the phone about the above, I more than welcome this opportunity. I'll be honest, you have some pretty good work experience. This is meaningful differentiation; the type of differentiation that will get you into a top program. Please let me know if you would like to talk on the phone for an hour or so. We can hash out more the strategic issues on that call. I have availability over the next week I look forward to the possibility.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Thanks a ton Paul.

This really does give me confidence. Would definitely like to have an opportunity to speak to you in greater depth regarding this. Do let me know what day and time suit you best (earlier the better for me :) ), and we can schedule a call accordingly. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Ankur
GMAT Club Bot