Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Very early prospective student [#permalink]
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
UnknownStar wrote:
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my profile.
Currently I feel that my full time MBA school selections for the future is highly improbable but I want to try.
HBS, Wharton, Columbia

1. I am an American born Asian
2. First GMAT 640 (Q50, V27, IR12, AWA 3.5)
3. Stony Brook University (SUNY) GPA 2.9x
4. Graduated in 2015 with double major in physics and math & statistics
5. Vice President of a club sport where we competed in Division II and Division I for 1 year (member for 3 years, total 4 years)
6. Performed 1 year of community service mostly for a farm but also for other various activities during freshman year
7. 1.5 years of undergraduate research in a research laboratory
8. Also have various teaching experiences during undergraduate years
9. Currently working abroad as a math and physics teacher for a year. It is very probable that I can achieve a leadership position within this international school next year.

Looking back, my poor GPA was a result of overloading to fulfill two majors (two of the hardest majors in my school next to engineering)
My plan is to enroll in a top 20 Masters of Finance in 2017 (or 2018) and graduate 2018 (or 2019) obtain 3.7x to offset my undergrad GPA
After MSF, I plan to work for a bank or investment firm for 2-3 years before applying for MBA
My current practice GMAT score is in the range 670-700. My goal is 730+ for MBA
My goal is to apply for MBA in 2020. After MBA, I want to work in financial investments.
Thanks for reaching out. I would say that getting HBS/Wharton/Stanford to overlook the 2.9 is going to take everything else to be really high...and that 640GMAT is not going to do this. Be careful about getting too many masters before the MBA but the MSF may help your case. I would see work as an investment banking analyst. I'd also encourage you to look beyond H/S/W as there are many schools who can get you to your career goals and they may overlook grades if GMAT strong. I also would look to go to a more highly ranked school than Stony Brook- nothing wrong per se... just that this is not on par with a H/S/W kind of school and if you seek that and then get a masters from another lesser ranked program it may not help your case that much. Best wishes to you- it is good for you to be thinking about these things now.

Thanks, I see that I have the right goals in mind. Will be trying to get 730+ GMAT and applying for a highly ranked MSF school and obtaining a high GPA there.

VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Thanks for sharing your profile, not sure I see the case for admissions into those super elite programs. Your plan sounds great but a 2.9 will be tough especially coming from an overrepresented group (asian) as well as IBD if you make it into the industry. Keep grinding to make your plan as regardless of making it into those programs you will be positioning yourself for some good options nonetheless

Yes, it is quite unfortunate that I have to compete with an over-represented group. Thank you, VeritasPrep along with StratusMBA, for reaffirming my plan.

Furthermore, may I ask how MBA admissions panel see MSF from CUNY Baruch or Fordham University?
GMAT Club Bot
Profile Evaluation - Very early prospective student [#permalink]