Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Re: Profile Review: TFA, Startup, 3.46 GPA, 770 GMAT [#permalink]
cpr3182 wrote:

GPA: 3.46 at Top 25 Liberal Arts school
GMAT: 770 (45/50/6/7 V/Q/AW/IR)
2 years in TFA, won several faculty-wide awards at my school
3 years in key role at fintech startup venture where I gained first hand experience in building a business from the ground up

Based on this limited profile, any idea if I have a real shot at HSW? I know GPA is below average - wondering if other factors might compensate.

Basically what I’ve learned about myself through TFA and startup America is that I am naturally attracted to learning about different people/process problems and working with teams to optimize their solutions. For this reason, I want to pursue a career in management consulting. I believe my unique past has provided me with the people management and operational exposure to excel in business school and ultimately in this career.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Dear CPR3182,
Stellar score for your target schools. Great profile as well. You have a great shot, but a huge lot will depend upon your demographics and how you weave your story to your career goals. From your profile, I assume you may be a good storyteller (esp awards in TFA), and must use it well for your apps. Happy to provide further help if you need.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
cpr3182 wrote:
3 years in key role at fintech startup venture where I gained first hand experience in building a business from the ground up

Based on this limited profile, any idea if I have a real shot at HSW? I know GPA is below average - wondering if other factors might compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

So I am missing a lot of detail here of course so it is hard to say for sure but I do think your profile looks good enough for admission to be a possibility (that GMAT score does weigh up for your GPA!), assuming your essays are good of course. You need to present all this in the best possible way. If you can do that, your chances are pretty good!

Good luck and feel free to be in touch if you would like a more thorough evaluation (if you feel comfortable getting into more detail about everything on your profile, that is).
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
cpr3182 wrote:

You don't know if you don't try :)

With that GMAT you should for sure at least try!
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hey buddy,

Well congrats for your excellent GMAT score and that has compensated your GPA so nothing to worry about it. Its a high time where you must concentarte on your Essays which is a make or break component. You over all carry an excellent profile and with your GMAT you must definetely target top 5 B-schools and you carry a good chances of getting into it.

Top B-Schools like Harvard, Stanford Wharton looks an ideal candidates carrying High Academic Ability, Impact Leadership and communication skills, Clarity of Goals and Contribution and Passionate. Make sure you build an excellent story and present it in a very professional and simple language. Try to stand out rather fitting in which makes your profile unique.

Feel free to PM me anytime for any further information or clarifications.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
cpr3182 wrote:

I would definitely give it a try. Yes, the GPA is a bit low but combined with the GMAT, it is certainly well within range. We placed TFA folks at a handful of top schools last year, including HSW. It wouldn't be a sure thing but I don't see any reason why you would not apply. That said, I want to know more about the startup and your role there. Extra-currics will also be important. You will get some points for TFA anyway, but I am curious what you are doing these days. Feel free to send me a resume if you want to explore what we could do together. I will give you some insight on what worked at each of HSW in R1 this year.

www.personalmbacoach.com / scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot