It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:26

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 108 [1], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2011, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
A. Incorrect - the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment
B. Incorrect - they can refer to canaries or neurons
C. Incorrect - canaries' neurons that increase when they learn new songs
D. Incorrect - neurons when they learn new songs
E. Correct

Baten80 wrote:
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that
B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they
C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Kudos [?]: 108 [1], given: 13

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1503 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2011, 23:15
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Recently documentedc, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that
B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or vcanaries whose neurons increase when theyx[/color]
C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Why not b?

It is definitely not B because THEY in B is not clear - canaries whose neurons increase when they

Whether THEY refers to canaries or neurons.

Want to improve your CR: http://gmatclub.com/forum/cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: http://gmatclub.com/forum/50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: http://gmatclub.com/forum/key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Kudos [?]: 1503 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: McCombs '14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2011, 09:40
devinawilliam83 wrote:
Recently documentedc, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

Why not b?

A is unclear
B - the production of new brain cells, include mice whose brains - need to talk about brain changes , this phrase alters the sense.
C - unclear reference (that and they)
D - says the brain growth when placed in simulationg env and increase in canaries without simulating env -- altered meaning.
E - explains the effects of mice's brain when placed in simulating env

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
nice question.
"the production of new brain cells" is just extra information. read the sentence without it.
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, ...., include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.
The senetence speaks about neurogenesis which is a process/method/phenomena etc..not a animal or a part of human body.Hence neurogenesis should refer to the process which is "growth" (or "brain growth if you will").So we come down to only D and E.

D spekas about "when placed" as though it's time relevant ina conditional manner.So thats off the list.We are left with only E.

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 01:48
after first analysis I shortlisted D and E
A-The brain growing ......neurons increasing seems incorrect to me

I got with Logical choice of E as it seems more logical brain growth and an increase look more logical

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2012, 07:30
..THE PRODUCTION....GROWTH...so,
Narrow down to (D)&(E)
THE BRAIN IS NOT NEEDED, THE INCREASE IS UN NECESSARY , THEY IS INCORRECT
PERFECT
(E) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1170 [10], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2012, 14:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The first thing to notice here is that we are looking for examples of neurogenesis. Because neurogenesis is an activity, a kind of growth, neither mice nor their brains can be an example of neurogenesis. We can eliminate A - C for this reason. We can eliminate D because it has a modifier error. "When placed" is an adverbial modifier, and should therefore modify an action or clause. For instance, we might say "When placed in a stimulating environment, mice grow new brain cells," or "Mice grow new brain cells when placed in a stimulating environment." All we have to modify here is a noun phrase--"the brain growth"--so we should not use an adverbial modifier. Note that we have the same modifier in A, but it is wrong for a slightly different reason. There, we have "the brain growing," which can be interpreted as an action, but now when we apply "when placed in a stimulating environment," it looks like we are saying that [i]the brain,[i] rather than the mouse, is being placed in that environment.

Note that in E, we have a noun modifier--"that are placed in a stimulating environment." This correctly modifies "mice." In turn, the phrase "in mice" correctly modifies "brain growth" to provide an example of neurogenesis. The parallel portion about canaries works in exactly the same way.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1170 [10], given: 29

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 21:12
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

Although there are other errors (parallelism, pronouns, etc.) in the wrong choices, I would like to focus in the following:
In choices A and E (the OA), is there an important difference in meaning between "the brain growing" and "brain growth" in the context of the sentence?, In the same sense, is there an important difference in meaning between "neurons increasing" and "an increase in neurons"?

What's wrong with B? I know that sounds awkward to mention "mice" or "canaries" as examples of neurogenesis. But I don't think it is enough reason to eliminate them.

Despite my comments above, I agree that the OA is E. It is the best in comparison with the rest.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1105 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2012, 23:02
metallicafan wrote:

Although there are other errors (parallelism, pronouns, etc.) in the wrong choices, I would like to focus in the following:
In choices A and E (the OA), is there an important difference in meaning between "the brain growing" and "brain growth" in the context of the sentence?, In the same sense, is there an important difference in meaning between "neurons increasing" and "an increase in neurons"?

What's wrong with B? I know that sounds awkward to mention "mice" or "canaries" as examples of neurogenesis. But I don't think it is enough reason to eliminate them.

Despite my comments above, I agree that the OA is E. It is the best in comparison with the rest.

Hi

The mice aren't the example - the example is the brain growth. That eliminates B and C. A also breaks parallelism.

There is another flaw with A, B, C and D. "when placed in a stimulating environment" sounds like they are referring only to the time that the mice are in the stimulating environment - but the brain growth is permanent. It doesn't shrink back down once the mice are no longer in the stimulating environment.

Hope this clarifies

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 12

Director
Director

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2012, 01:03
IMO;

It's all about the voice in which the sentence is presented, "...the production of new brain cells..."is in passive voice ,this is describing "neurogenesis" and it is completely alright to mention scientific discoveries to mention in passive voice where the "doer"is not as important as the "deed", for clarity- "who is producing the cells?" we do not know and we don't want to know but , the moment "include" appears in the sentence it takes our mind to search AC which is in the passive voice as well.
Hence, Brain growth and increase in neurons replaced brain growing and neuron increasing.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1226 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2012, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Seems like the 'brain' is being disembodied and placed in a stimulating environment.

The 'they' is ambiguous in both cases: it could refer to 'brains' or 'mice', and in the second case it could refer to 'neurons' or 'canaries.'

Same pronoun ambiguity with 'they.'

Sounds as if the 'brain growth' is placed in a stimulating environment.

The pronoun ambiguity issue is cleared up here: 'that' clearly refers to 'mice' and the second 'that' refers to canaries. Therefore (E) is the answer.

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1226 [2], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2012, 13:46
metallicafan wrote:

Great question.
On A - Parallelism issue. However, I do not find any difference between the brain growing and the growth of brain. Since, both are a part of recent documentations and hence are okay as both - Continuous tense & a normal factual statement.
Now, on the right choices-Very close call between B and E. Very Very close... E may have a small upper hand probably because of no pronoun usage(although the usage in A is justified and there is no rule that says pick an answer without pronoun). Besides, E uses lesser number of words to convey that B and that should be fine.
I find more importantly, in B the documents do not contain the mice or canaries, but rather the growth/action...
Thanks,
Kudos if clarified :)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7884 [0], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2012, 08:23
@ Vishalsaraogi

I am afraid that there is no such rule as the pronoun that cannot refer to a noun. As long as that is a pronoun, it has to refer to a noun. Perhaps, what you intend may be as follow.

The pronoun that should not be used to refer to human beings in preference to who; secondly the pronoun that sometimes is used to refer to singular things, while to denote plural things, those is preferred.

Further, mice Is a plural word; mouse is its singular.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7884 [0], given: 363

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9031 [2], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2012, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
athirasateesh wrote:
nice question sanju ..can u elucidate the difference b/w D and E

Hi there,

Here is the difference between choice D and choice E:

Choice D: the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they: According to this choice, “brain growth” is placed in a stimulating environment. This is illogical because it is the mice that are put in such environment. Again, pronoun “they” refers to “neurons”, meaning that neurons learn new songs. This is illogical. Note that pronoun “they” cannot refer to “canaries’” because it is an adjective an not a noun. For these reasons choice D is incorrect.

Choice E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that: Correct. In this choice, the first “that” correctly refers to “mice” and the second “that” to “canaries”.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9031 [2], given: 335

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2013, 23:58
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.
Here the sentence above is corret but i wanted to know how the "brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating is corrct!! Becoz brain growth which is singular the how come plural are fits into the sentence ..can some one pls calrify ..

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 99

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1675 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2013, 00:22
This post received
KUDOS
skamal7 wrote:
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.
Here the sentence above is corret but i wanted to know how the "brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating is corrct!! Becoz brain growth which is singular the how come plural are fits into the sentence ..can some one pls calrify ..

Here in the sentence, I am not considering the extra info. The sentence becomes: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis include brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.

See here, the issue is meaning. Ask yourself-is it possible to keep the "brain growth" in a stimulating environment? IMO its illogical. Now again ask yourself- is it possible to keep the mice in stimulating environment? Perhaps yes.
Here the "that" refers to mice and not the "brain growth".

Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1675 [1], given: 62

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2013, 02:53
anshunadir wrote:
That can refer only the preceding noun. in this sentence, noun preceding "That" is mice(plural) and therefore, plural verb "are" is used.

I just wanted to clarify the usage of that. As you have rightly pointed one of the usage.

1. That can be used to relate to the noun preceding it. When it does so then "that" becomes subject of the following clause.
2. It connects two clauses.

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 62

GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2013, 03:16
Quote:
I just wanted to clarify the usage of that. As you have rightly pointed one of the usage.

1. That can be used to relate to the noun preceding it. When it does so then "that" becomes subject of the following clause.
2. It connects two clauses.

And here are the examples:

1. when "that" refers to the preceding noun, then it becomes the subject of the following dependent clause. e.g. as in the current sentence
...include brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment...
here you can replace "that" with mice => mice are placed in a stimulating environment

2. connect two clauses
e.g. It is hard to believe that XYZ has won the best performance award

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 62

Expert Post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!

Kudos [?]: 2270 [0], given: 82

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2013, 06:09
skamal7 wrote:

Hi Skamal,

Good explanations above by Marcab and anshunadir. Adding another way to understand the relative clause.

For understanding lets remove the that clauses.

original sentence: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include brain growth in mice or an increase in neurons in canaries.

the "that clause" after mice is providing additional information about mice. ie where they are placed or in what environment the experiment takes place. The other "that clause" provides additional information about canaries.

Hope that helps

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kudos [?]: 2270 [0], given: 82

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2013, 03:04
Obviously, the two things included in the research: brain growth and increase in neurons and not "mice and canaries" or "brains". Hence, we eliminate B and C.

Now, "brain growing" is just horrible compared to brain grown. Hence, eliminate A.

We are now left with D and E. Both refers correctly to brain growth and increase in canaries' neurons but we our tie breaker would be the modifiers.

In D, "when placed in a stimulating env" correctly modifies mice. This is also correct in choice E.
In D, "when they learn new songs" modifies neurons. That is obviously wrong. Eliminate D.

Answer: E

Impossible is nothing to God.

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 11

Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2013, 03:04

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap