Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM
Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:

Here's the version created via the use of (D).

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they learn new songs.

This part all makes sense: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growth in mice

Here's the first spot in which it goes wrong: the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment

Notice that what that basically says is this: the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment

It doesn't say what is placed in a stimulating environment. Something is placed in a stimulating environment, but that can't be brain growth, because the brain growth happens when something else is "placed in a stimulating environment."

Also, the sentence does not say that the mice are placed in a stimulating environment. So, this version leaves out a key thing, what exactly is placed in a stimulating environment.

Furthermore, "when placed in a stimulating environment" has to modify a verb. Something happens "when," such as "when placed in a stimulating environment, mice experience brain growth," or "the brain growth seen in mice when they are placed in a stimulating environment," but no verb is present for "when placed in a stimulating environment" to modify.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - why do you say when placed in a stimulating environment should modify a verb ?

When can very well also be a relative clause trigger. My understanding is when may be a relative clause trigger or a subordinate clause trigger

If relative clause - clause will modify a noun [In 1999 when my brother was born is when I first attended school]. Here when is clearly modifying a noun (year, 1999)
If subordinate clause - when subordinate clause should be modifying a verb

How can you be so sure that When is not intended to play the role of a relative clause (noun modifier) ?

There's no clause after "when." If there were, as in, "when they are placed," the structure would be a clause.

A "trigger" is only good as a "flag." It doesn't tell the whole story.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]
jabhatta2 wrote:

Here's the version created via the use of (D).

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they learn new songs.

This part all makes sense: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growth in mice

Here's the first spot in which it goes wrong: the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment

Notice that what that basically says is this: the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment

It doesn't say what is placed in a stimulating environment. Something is placed in a stimulating environment, but that can't be brain growth, because the brain growth happens when something else is "placed in a stimulating environment."

Also, the sentence does not say that the mice are placed in a stimulating environment. So, this version leaves out a key thing, what exactly is placed in a stimulating environment.

Furthermore, "when placed in a stimulating environment" has to modify a verb. Something happens "when," such as "when placed in a stimulating environment, mice experience brain growth," or "the brain growth seen in mice when they are placed in a stimulating environment," but no verb is present for "when placed in a stimulating environment" to modify.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - why do you say when placed in a stimulating environment should modify a verb ?

When can very well also be a relative clause trigger. My understanding is when may be a relative clause trigger or a subordinate clause trigger

If relative clause - clause will modify a noun [In 1999 when my brother was born is when I first attended school]. Here when is clearly modifying a noun (year, 1999)
If subordinate clause - when subordinate clause should be modifying a verb

How can you be so sure that When is not intended to play the role of a relative clause (noun modifier) ?

There's no clause after "when." If there were, as in, "when they are placed," the structure would be a clause.

A "trigger" is only good as a "flag." It doesn't tell the whole story.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep :

I am little bit lost here. Please help to clarify the doubt.

(D) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
1. If " when placed in a stimulating environment" acts as relative /adjective clause then it should not be a problem.
We just want to emphaise if it is turned into sub ordinate clause then it is more clear?
mice that are placed xx
So we can't reject D on this basis , right?

2. growth in mice when placed. How growth can be placed in xx. so I don't think it is umbigous , Definitely , its an object that can be placed in xx. here object refers to mice. So again it is better but not bais to reject D .Am i right?

3. So main reason to reject D is 2nd part : increase in canaries' neurons when they
Now here they refers to neurons , so definitely D should be rejected

So I think D can not be rejected on basis of 1 and 2 reasoning.

Please confirm.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep :

(D) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
1. If " when placed in a stimulating environment" acts as relative /adjective clause then it should not be a problem.
We just want to emphaise if it is turned into sub ordinate clause then it is more clear?
mice that are placed xx

Notice that "when placed in a stimulating environment" is not a clause. It's a phrase. So, as I discussed above, it's an adverbial phrase with nothing to modify.

Quote:
2. growth in mice when placed. How growth can be placed in xx. so I don't think it is umbigous , Definitely , its an object that can be placed in xx. here object refers to mice. So again it is better but not bais to reject D .Am i right?

The issue is that the sentence does not convey that the mice were placed in that environment. We know that the growth is not placed there, but the sentence does not say what is placed there.

Quote:
3. So main reason to reject D is 2nd part : increase in canaries' neurons when they
Now here they refers to neurons , so definitely D should be rejected

So I think D can not be rejected on basis of 1 and 2 reasoning.

Please confirm.

As I discussed above, "they" would not logically refer to "neurons" because neurons do not "learn new songs."

So, the use of "they" is not clearly incorrect, and the issues I outlined above are the best reasons for eliminating (D).
VP
VP
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
The first thing to notice here is that we are looking for examples of neurogenesis. Because neurogenesis is an activity, a kind of growth, neither mice nor their brains can be an example of neurogenesis. We can eliminate A - C for this reason. We can eliminate D because it has a modifier error. "When placed" is an adverbial modifier, and should therefore modify an action or clause. For instance, we might say "When placed in a stimulating environment, mice grow new brain cells," or "Mice grow new brain cells when placed in a stimulating environment." All we have to modify here is a noun phrase--"the brain growth"--so we should not use an adverbial modifier. Note that we have the same modifier in A, but it is wrong for a slightly different reason. There, we have "the brain growing," which can be interpreted as an action, but now when we apply "when placed in a stimulating environment," it looks like we are saying that [i]the brain,[i] rather than the mouse, is being placed in that environment.

Note that in E, we have a noun modifier--"that are placed in a stimulating environment." This correctly modifies "mice." In turn, the phrase "in mice" correctly modifies "brain growth" to provide an example of neurogenesis. The parallel portion about canaries works in exactly the same way.

Hi DmitryFarber - In the above in yellow highlight --> how are you so sure the yello is an adverbial modifier ?

If you look at the list of relative pronouns list (noun modifiers ) - who / whom / which / where / in which / when / that /

When falls as a noun modifier list.
VP
VP
Send PM
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]
mSKR wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep :

mice that are placed xx

Notice that "when placed in a stimulating environment" is not a clause. It's a phrase. So, as I discussed above, it's an adverbial phrase with nothing to modify.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - I have not gone through the TTP verbal book. Perhaps thats why I am not sure why the stuff in yellow is important to determine if the phrase in question is adjectival or adverbial.

Are you saying -- ALL noun modifiers are ALWAYS clauses ? If so, that is news to me.

Otherwise, I still don't understand why the bit in yellow is a determiner to realize whether when placed in a stimulating environment is adjectival or adverbial ?

For example :
Roger federer, who was placed 4th in the tournament, is 40 years old.

==Above "who was placed 4th in the tournament" is a clause and is adjectival

== Here who was placed 4th in the tournament is NOT a clause as PLACED is a past participle BUT "who placed 4th in the tournament is still adjectiival in nature per my understanding.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep :

mice that are placed xx

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - I have not gone through the TTP verbal book. Perhaps thats why I am not sure why the stuff in yellow is important to determine if the phrase in question is adjectival or adverbial.

Are you saying -- ALL noun modifiers are ALWAYS clauses ? If so, that is news to me.

Otherwise, I still don't understand why the bit in yellow is a determiner to realize whether when placed in a stimulating environment is adjectival or adverbial ?T

For example :

== Here who was placed 4th in the tournament is NOT a clause as PLACED is a past participle BUT "who placed 4th in the tournament is still adjectiival in nature per my understanding.

Not all noun modifiers are clauses, although both of the modifiers you mentioned above are clauses.

The only reason I said, "Notice that "when placed in a stimulating environment" is not a clause," is that mSKR had made a point based on the idea that that modifier is a clause. So, I was making clear that that point was not valid, partly because that modifier is not a clause.
VP
VP
Send PM
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]
jabhatta2 wrote:

Otherwise, I still don't understand why the bit in yellow is a determiner to realize whether when placed in a stimulating environment is adjectival or adverbial ?T

For example :

Not all noun modifiers are clauses, although both of the modifiers you mentioned above are clauses.

The only reason I said, "Notice that "when placed in a stimulating environment" is not a clause," is that mSKR had made a point based on the idea that that modifier is a clause. So, I was making clear that that point was not valid, partly because that modifier is not a clause.

Thanks so much. MartyTargetTestPrep

So - "when placed in a stimulating environment" - you figured this was adverbial in nature - how ? I think I am struggling to figure out how one can determine if the phrase "when placed in a stimulating environment" is adverbial and adjectival in this context ?

Is it by process of elimination perhaps ? "When ....."

If a When phrase is to used for noun modifiers, it should be used for Time periods or years or dates only. Given you only saw "Brain growth" or "Mice" -- you figured .."Oh well, neither "Brain growth" nor "Mice" are Time periods or years or dates.

Hence "when placed in a stimulating environment" could only be adverbial in nature given the nouns for nouns modiifers are just not there.

Was that your thinking when figuring out if "when placed in a stimulating environment" was adverbial or adjectival ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

"When" normally works as an adverbial modifier. As you stated in your follow-up, we can use "when" to modify time periods-- "The year when I visited Singapore"--but this is the exception, not the rule. There is simply no way for a phrase such as "when placed in a stimulating environment" to work as a noun modifier. What would it mean? That phrase can only describe what a noun (e.g. animal) does in a certain situation. That's an adverbial modifier.
VP
VP
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
jabhatta2

"When" normally works as an adverbial modifier. As you stated in your follow-up, we can use "when" to modify time periods-- "The year when I visited Singapore"--but this is the exception, not the rule. There is simply no way for a phrase such as "when placed in a stimulating environment" to work as a noun modifier. What would it mean? That phrase can only describe what a noun (e.g. animal) does in a certain situation. That's an adverbial modifier.

Hi DmitryFarber - i thought the following could be an example of a "when" worked as a noun modifier

I like chicken when it is roasted

when it is roasted i thought referred to the object-noun "chicken" only.
when it is roasted cannot be adverbial (Referring to the subject-verb)

Reason i thought when it is roasted was a noun modifer and NOT adverbial :

- Subordinate clauses can be adjectival
- In this case, the sentence makes logical sense if the subordinate clause (I like chicken when it is roasted) modifies the noun only

Thoughts ?
Attachments

Picture # 2.JPG
Picture # 2.JPG [ 17.95 KiB | Viewed 2211 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
Regarding Option D

WHEN can be a noun modifier or an adverb BOTH.

- See if when can be a noun modifier (is there a time stamp) – if there is none (Growth nor Mice are NOT time tamps) hence when CANNOT be a noun modifier in option D

Can When be an adverb ?
- See if when can an adverb making sense with the subject – verb.
- The subject is brain growth. The verb is missing completelely

Thus, when cannot be used as adverb as the subject (Brain growth) then would be modified and there is no verb

Thus eliminate D because of incorrect usage of WHEN (incorrect usage as a noun modifier or incorrect usage of adverb)

In E -- THAT makes sense as a noun modifier for RATs
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2

I somehow missed your "chicken" post before. In that case, "when it is roasted" is still adverbial. When do I like chicken? When it is roasted. In this case, it works a lot like "if": if the chicken is roasted, I like it. "Chicken when it is roasted" isn't a thing I can like. We have the simple "roasted chicken" for that. The only reason to go with "when it is roasted" would be to place a limit on when you like chicken, not on the chicken itself. In general, we're safest if we default to treating "when" as adverbial. The noun modifier usage is not going to show up much, and we certainly need more than a time stamp/period to tell us we have a noun modifier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
coffeeloverfreak wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

Between (B) and (E)

(A) the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that

(B) mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

This is incorrect because the "documented examples of neurogenesis" can't be mice and canaries. Also, "they" is ambiguous, but it's not a deal breaker. Issue mainly revolves around meaning.

(C) mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they

(E) brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

CORRECT. Examples are 1) brain growth in mice and 2) an increase in neurons in canaries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/04/science/a-decade-of-discovery-yields-a-shock-about-the-brain.html

The new cells seen in the rat brains appear at a higher rate after challenges like intense training, injury or an infection, Dr. Raastad said. Within a few years, researchers found the cells in adult mice, guinea pigs, rabbits and monkeys. In the mid-1980's, other researchers found irrefutable evidence that new cells were born in the brains of adult canaries learning new songs and chickadees that were remembering where they had stashed their winter seeds. But researchers still did not believe that new cells were created in human brains, Dr. Raastad said.

In 1997, Dr. Elizabeth Gould, an assistant professor of neuroscience at Princeton, and colleagues showed that neurogenesis, or the birth of new cells, occurred in the hippocampuses of tree shrews and marmoset monkeys. But Dr. Rakic and others said this was not possible in humans.

In 1998, Dr. Gage demonstrated that the number of brain cells in the hippocampuses of mice raised in stimulating environments increased by 15 percent -- and that the cells were born in the ventricle zone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
coffeeloverfreak wrote:
Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

(A) the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that

(B) mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

(C) mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they

(E) brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment and an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs are examples of the action, neurogenesis.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers

• "when" is only used to refer to a point in time.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "the brain growing in mice"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the brains of the mice placed in a stimulating environment is an example of neurogenesis; the intended meaning is that the growth of the brains of mice that are placed in a stimulating environment is an example of neurogenesis. Further, Option A incorrectly uses "when" to refer to "mice"; please remember, "when" is only used to refer to a point in time.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "mice whose brains grow" and "canaries whose neurons increase"; the construction of these phrases illogically suggests those mice whose brains grow when the mice are placed in stimulating environments and those canaries whose neurons increase when the canaries learn new songs are examples of neurogenesis; the intended meaning is that the growth of the brains of mice that are placed in a stimulating environment and the increase in neurons of canaries that learn new songs are examples of neurogenesis.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "mice's brains that grow" and "canaries' neurons that increase"; the construction of these phrases illogically suggests the brains of the mice placed in a stimulating environment and the neurons of canaries that learn new songs are examples of neurogenesis; the intended meaning is that the growth of the brains of mice that are placed in a stimulating environment and the increase in neurons of canaries that learn new songs are examples of neurogenesis.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "when" to refer to "mice" and "canaries"; please remember, "when" is only used to refer to a point in time.

E: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrases "brain growth in mice" and "an increase in neurons in canaries", conveying the intended meaning - that the growth of the brains of mice that are placed in a stimulating environment and the increase in neurons of canaries that learn new songs are examples of neurogenesis. Further, Option E avoids the modifier error seen in Options A and D, as it does not use the word "when".

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Is this sentence wrong : Water when placed in freezer becomes ice. I know when" is only used to refer to a point in time.
If above sentence is correct then why D is not correct?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
The section in the Manhattan Prep Guide about the use of “when” is, to my understanding, referring to one case in particular: when the word “WHEN” serves to function as a Relative Pronoun.

(Case 1)
“when” used as a Relative Pronoun

The purpose for including that section in the guide was to make clear that when providing a descriptive modifier of a TIME PERIOD, one should not use “that.”

Rather, “when” (or in some cases “at which”) should be used to attach the relative clause to the Noun describing a time period.

(I believe some grammarians call this use of “when” a Relative Adverb, if you would like to google).

Ex: “The last week of September, WHEN all the vacationers finally leave the Jersey Shore, is my favorite time of year.”

—> this type of “when” clause must be attached to and describe a Noun that is a Time Period.

The main point of inclusion in Manhattan Prep’s guide, I believe, was to stress that in such a case, the use of the Relative Pronoun “that” or “which” would be NON-preferred.

INCORRECT: *Summer, WHICH is the warmest time of year on the Jersey Shore, is a time of great unrest.

However, from the context of (D), it seems pretty clear that the information following “when” doesn’t describe “mice” as an adjective (even ignoring the grammatical rules of pronoun use).

“when placed in a stimulating environment” must be describing some Action or Event that occurs WHEN something is placed in such an environment.

In other words, there doesn’t exist a sub class of noun = “mice when placed in a stimulating environment” (there IS a sub class of noun = “mice THAT are placed in a stimulating environment — *see answer E)

(2nd Case)
“When” used as a Subordinating Conjunction

Generally, most sentences that involve “when” followed by a clause (or a “reduced” clause, such as we have here) function as an adverbial modifier.

ex: “When upset and sad, Mary uses her room as refuge.”

We could also rewrite this sentence to say:

Ex: “Mary uses her room as refuge when upset and sad.”

In this case, the “Modifier” is really a reduced clause, functioning to provide more information about the main sentence.

ex: “When (she is) upset and sad, Mary uses her room as refuge.”

In most cases, the Agent or implied subject of the reduced clause is the subject of the main clause being modified.

This is exactly the scenario we have in this current sentence in version D.

D: “Recently documented examples of X INCLUDE brain growth in mice when placed in stimulating environments.”

Is the meaning supposed to be that the examples include brain growth in mice when….. the EXAMPLES are placed in stimulating environments?

Or, even if we can argue that the reference to mice is clear, the meaning would seem to say:

“Recently documented examples include the brain growth in mice when (the mice are) placed in a stimulating environment…”

This would imply that the example of brain growth is included ONLY WHEN mice are placed in a stimulating environment.

Does this mean that the example of brain growth is NOT included (as a recently documented example) when the mice are NOT placed in a stimulating environment?

The example of brain growth is documented and done so the above doesn’t really make sense. The brain growth doesn’t really disappear when the mice are no longer in the stimulating environment.

(E) makes clear that we are talking about one type of mice: “mice THAT are placed in a stimulating environment.” The brain growth that these mice experienced is one of the recently documented examples.

I believe this was the point that MartyTargetTestPrep was making. The course at T.T.P. provides deeper discussions about these sorts of things.

The reduced clause following “when” does not serve to modify “mice” or “brain growth in mice” as an adjective. It is an adverbial modifier that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

The trap in the answer choice is one designed to make the test-taker believe that modifying the noun this way is ok.

This is because most Americans speak to each other in this manner (especially all those people who come down to the Shore every summer….just kidding).

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Could I just reject a-d for using "when"?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
miko2010

There's nothing inherently wrong with using a WHEN modifier in this context. A-C all use "when" correctly to narrow down the situation in which growth occurs. D uses "when" incorrectly, as I outlined in a previous post. (relevant portion pasted below)

We can eliminate D because it has a modifier error. "When placed" is an adverbial modifier, and should therefore modify an action or clause. For instance, we might say "When placed in a stimulating environment, mice grow new brain cells," or "Mice grow new brain cells when placed in a stimulating environment." All we have to modify here is a noun phrase--"the brain growth"--so we should not use an adverbial modifier.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM

Option Elimination -

(A) the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that - "when," "where," "how," and "why" introduce adverbials to modify action. Here, in a way, we can say that growing conveys something happening, but grammatically, there is no helping verb before growing, so it's not very convincing to modify "growing" with an adverbial. Moreover, examples of "neurogenesis" are "brain growth" and "an increase" in neurons....

(B) mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they - "they" is ambiguous. Refer to "mice" or "brains"? Also, in the 2nd part, "they" refer to "canaries" or "neurons"? Ambiguous.

(C) mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they - "they" referring to "neurons"? A possessive pronoun can refer to a noun or a noun in a possessive case. Possessive pronouns include - his, hers, its, mine, and so on.

(D) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they - "when" introducing adverbial while we don't have any action verb here. "they" referring to "neurons"? A possessive pronoun can refer to a noun or a noun in a possessive case. Possessive pronouns include - his, hers, its, mine, and so on.

(E) brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that - "that" introduces a relative clause that modifies nouns - here "that" correctly modifies nouns - "mice" and "canaries."
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts