It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

12 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 194 [12], given: 0

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2005, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:07) correct 44% (01:22) wrong based on 439 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

(A) the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that

(B) mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

(C) mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they

(D) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they

(E) brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 17 Oct 2017, 07:28, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted the Q.

Kudos [?]: 194 [12], given: 0

18 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 77 [18], given: 0

Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2005, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Almost everyone is going with 4. From my poin of view that is wrong. Here is how....

the brain growth in mice when placed (what is placed mice or brain growth) a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they (what does THEY refer to here. They is a pronoun that should refer to a noun, in this case the noun is canaries' neurons. Remember canaries' is in possessive form here).

5 resolves it all.

mice is a plural of mouse(singular).

brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment
or an increase in neurons in canaries that learn new songs.

I may be wrong because my brain is disfunctional these days....

Kudos [?]: 77 [18], given: 0

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [9], given: 0

Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2006, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is E!

Interesting that nobody got it right :? My answer was B when I first saw this SC.

This is what happens (according to me): it parallels examples of the production of new brain cells, i.e. nouns or noun phrases. However, the trick is the modifiers following these noun/noun phrases. The modifiers are either subordinate clauses or relative clauses. One should read the options with the modifying clauses in mind and correct accordingly.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that

- the modifying clauses are not parallel.

B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

- incorrect use of mice and canaries as examples (examples need to be of the production of new brain cells). Also, ambiguous use of they

C. mice’s brain that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries’ neurons that increase when they

- incorrect use of mice's brain and canaries' neurons as examples. Also, ambiguous use of they in the second example

D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries’ neurons when they

- the examples are not parallel (canaries' neurons is in possessive form whereas the brain growth is not). Also, the modifying clauses are ambigious. E.g., they in the second example

E. brain grown in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or increase in neurons in canaries that

- the examples and the modifying clauses are parallel.

Let me know if anyone is of a different opinion...

Kudos [?]: 36 [9], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2006, 13:32
huh? E?

"..brain grown.." does not ever sound correct to me???

B seems to be the most parallel

B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they

:roll:

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2006, 17:43
The option E is posted incorrectly in the question, it should be:

E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

Can anyone explain why E is better and point out the mistakes in the other options...

I believe its yogurt!

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2006, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
though late 'E' seems ok to me..

it is because the orginal stem talks about neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, the modifier clearly states that the subject being discussed here is a grown brain cell in mice and increased neurons in canaries..

C, B & A - talks about brain that would grow or canaries neruons that would increase . the process is yet to take place. and it cannot be documented.

D - talks about growth a process.. and not the results produced...

[/b]

Kudos [?]: 42 [1], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2008, 20:21
a) the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that [the brain growing – awkward, parallel issue – eliminate it]
b) mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they [whose brains – awkward, they – has referent issue – eliminate it]
c) mice’s brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries’ neurons that increase when they [ they has referent issue – eliminate it]
d) the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries’ neurons when they [ it is canaries that learn songs not neurons – eliminate it]
e) brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that [Hold it]
Answer: E

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2008, 11:32
Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new brain cells, include the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that learn new songs.

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that
C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they
E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that

**Unable to underline the sentence**

Look for the underlined button just below the subject place - GMAT TIGER (GT)

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 92

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 18:20
Between D & E, One thought is making me to think about D and that: Is the way the brain growth happens in mice when placed in a stimulating environement, is it trying to say that neurons increase in canaries while learning new songs, If it is true, 'when' should be preferred to 'they'

Please reply.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 704 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 20:53
KumarGMAT wrote:
Between D & E, One thought is making me to think about D and that: Is the way the brain growth happens in mice when placed in a stimulating environement, is it trying to say that neurons increase in canaries while learning new songs, If it is true, 'when' should be preferred to 'they'

Please reply.

D tries to parallel between "brain growth" which is a noun and "increase in the canaries' neurons" which is a phrase. so D must be wrong

"brain growth" should be correctly paralleled with "neuron increase"

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2008, 20:58
pawan203 wrote:

C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they

I figured out B and C have "they" which results in ambiguities. D is also wrong for the reason given in above post. A seems awkward in its use of the brain growing in mice, moreover "mice when" is being paralleled with "canaries that" in A.

So clearly E is the only clean option left :)

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 18:37
what does That refer in E?

Does it refer to Mice : Singular or Brain growth : Singular?

Hey Brain growth is singular or plural?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 04:39
imo E

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or [should have the]neurons increasing in canaries that
parellelism error
- pronoun 'they' can incorreclty refer to examples
-Correct

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 11:37
Totally agree E for me too. Parallelism
.... brain growth in mice
AND
....an increase in neurons
are parallel

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 14:09
I'm going with D. It is parallel and we need examples of a process - the brain growth and the increase.
I do not think that E is parallel since we have ... brain... an increase. If it was ... a brain ... an increase I might have given it a shot. Also, I think that putting an before increase is gramaticallly correct, because we can not count it: one increase, two increases, etc.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 23:33
OA is E

IMO
" examples of neurogenesis " should be "brain growth" (option D and E) not
"mices brains" (option C), "mice" ( option B) or "the brain" ( option A)

In D the reference of "they" is not clear . they may refer to both canaries and neurons.

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
This is a question of parallelism and boy the choices are so close.

A doesnt seem to be parallel with usage of when and that.
I would eliminate B and C , since it is always concise to say brain growth in mice etc etc than using that or whose as in B and C.

D and E are very close to me, since E avoids usage of they , I would prefer E.

Take Away:
If there is a close call between two choices, always pick the answer choice that avoids unnecessary pronouns.
In most cases, avoid unnecessary usage of that or whose in this case to introduce the subject. [Not always though]

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 44

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2010, 00:09
E is the best option.

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 44

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2010, 08:33
I would pick (E).

A. the brain growing in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or neurons increasing in canaries that - brain growing in mice is awkward - wrong
B. mice whose brains grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries whose neurons increase when they - they seems to be refering to brains and neurons - wrong
C. mice's brains that grow when they are placed in a stimulating environment or canaries' neurons that increase when they - they seems to be refering to mice's brains and canaries' neurons - wrong
D. the brain growth in mice when placed in a stimulating environment or the increase in canaries' neurons when they - they refering to canaries' neurons - wrong
E. brain growth in mice that are placed in a stimulating environment or an increase in neurons in canaries that - correct - mice are placed in stimulating and canaries that learn new songs - clear

Kudos [?]: 756 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1599 [1], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Baten80 wrote:

Here the answer is E. Let me show you how.

This is a split sentence. Basically in the form of [main sentence, description, main sentence]

Just take out the description in the middle and read it like this:

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis include [A] or .

From this alone, you should be able to eliminate (A), (B), and (C) just be reading the first three words of each answer choice.

(A): the brain growing
(B): mice whose brains
(C): mice's brains

None of these work because they are not structured correctly as examples.

[b](D) and (E) are closer to what we want--either "the brain growth" or "brain growth"

The only difference between (D) and (E) is "when placed" versus "that."
"When placed" seems to suggest a more specific condition whereas "that" seems more general and a description of a state of being--more of what we're looking for.

Also, if you were to guess--choose the shorter answer choice--the one with fewer words---that would be (E).

Either way, the one you want here is (E) because it correctly begins with "brain growth in mice"--which is an example of a documented example of neurogenesis. And it's consistent with the second part of the sentence.

Therefore, the answer is (E).

Kudos [?]: 1599 [1], given: 8

Re: Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br   [#permalink] 06 Jul 2011, 20:19

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 71 posts ] 

Recently documented examples of neurogenesis, the production of new br

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap