Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 18:13 It is currently 06 May 2024, 18:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33352 [24]
Given Kudos: 5786
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [5]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Re: Researchers recently examined the initial public offering (IPO) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1. The discussion of the researchers' study of Kenyan IPOs refers to "board prestige" primarily to

A. help explain why investor sentiment toward some firms is sometimes very low
B. caution that some variables should not be considered accurate predictors of IPO pricing
C. introduce one of the variables whose relationship to IPO pricing surprised the researchers
D. point to one of the attributes firms often used to generate investor interest in their IPO
E. demonstrate that some attributes of a firm are often negatively correlated with the firm's IPO price

Correct Answer - C,
Explanation - as mentioned in the para: They hypothesized that all four variables would show a strong positive correlation with this IPO asking price. However, after examing the firms listed, they were surprised to find that none of the variables showed a strong positive correlation with IPO pricing, and in fact investor sentiment and board prestige both showed a strong negative correlation.

2. For each of the following statements, select Inferable if the statement is reasonably inferable from the information provided about the NSE IPOs. Otherwise select Not Inferable.

1. No - since as we saw, the board prestige had a negative effect on pricing.
2. No - its the opposite as we can infer from the last row of the table.
3. Yes - Firestone, and Mumias Sugar have -1.41 and 0.00% underpricing.

3. For each of the following statements, select Supported if the statement is supported by the information provided about NSE IPOs. Otherwise select Not supported.

1. Supported, as we can infer from the table row of Safaricom and Co-operative bank and the information in the passage above, that the mentioned statement is supported by the information.
2. Not Supported, nothing is mentioned in the passage w.r.t firm size and its effect of the pricing of IPO's.
3. Not Supported, as we cannot explicitly infer, if it was actually from the investor sentiment or other factors like board pricing (which is actually mentioned).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Researchers recently examined the initial public offering (IPO) [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone please explain, how the below statements have the opposite answers? Either both should be Yes( and in my opinion Yes should be the answer ) or both should be No.

"IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms"

"The board of Safaricom was likely considered more prestigious than that of Co-Operative Bank at the time of their IPOs"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Suryanshi wrote:
Can someone please explain, how the below statements have the opposite answers? Either both should be Yes( and in my opinion Yes should be the answer ) or both should be No.

"IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms"

"The board of Safaricom was likely considered more prestigious than that of Co-Operative Bank at the time of their IPOs"

Hi Suryanshi,

1. The answer to :"IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms" would be No, as its mentioned in the IPO Pricing passage: "However, after examing the firms listed, they were surprised to find that none of the variables showed a strong positive correlation with IPO pricing, and in fact investor sentiment and board prestige both showed a strong negative correlation."
=> the board prestige had a negative effect on pricing.

2. The answer to : "The board of Safaricom was likely considered more prestigious than that of Co-Operative Bank at the time of their IPOs" - this would true, i.e supported as asked in the question, since we can infer from the table row of Safaricom and Co-operative bank and the information in the passage above, that the mentioned statement is supported by the information.

Hope it helps.
thanks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bm2201,

Thank you for the explanation. Really appreciate that. But I am still not able to understand and here is the reason.

What I deduce from below line ""However, after examing the firms listed, they were surprised to find that none of the variables showed a strong positive correlation with IPO pricing, and in fact investor sentiment and board prestige both showed a strong negative correlation" is that since board prestige has a negative correlation with IPO pricing, so if board prestige is high, IPO pricing will be low and this is what sentence "IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms" says.

Seeing the data of Co-operative bank and Safari bank, we were able to relate the difference in their prices at the day start and day end with board prestige. Safaricom was more undervalued and therefore it was likely that its board had more prestige than co-operative bank's. That's why the answer for this statement "The board of Safaricom was likely considered more prestigious than that of Co-Operative Bank at the time of their IPOs" was Yes.

Based on above reasoning according to me answer to the first statement should also be Yes. Now, I know there must be big loophole in my understanding somewhere. Would really appreciate if you can pinpoint the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
Suryanshi wrote:
Hi bm2201,

Thank you for the explanation. Really appreciate that. But I am still not able to understand and here is the reason.

What I deduce from below line ""However, after examing the firms listed, they were surprised to find that none of the variables showed a strong positive correlation with IPO pricing, and in fact investor sentiment and board prestige both showed a strong negative correlation" is that since board prestige has a negative correlation with IPO pricing, so if board prestige is high, IPO pricing will be low and this is what sentence "IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms" says.

Seeing the data of Co-operative bank and Safari bank, we were able to relate the difference in their prices at the day start and day end with board prestige. Safaricom was more undervalued and therefore it was likely that its board had more prestige than co-operative bank's. That's why the answer for this statement "The board of Safaricom was likely considered more prestigious than that of Co-Operative Bank at the time of their IPOs" was Yes.

Based on above reasoning according to me answer to the first statement should also be Yes. Now, I know there must be big loophole in my understanding somewhere. Would really appreciate if you can pinpoint the same.

I agree with the OA that the first answer of Q2 should be no; but it is the answer in Q3 that is questionable.

According to the prompt, there are 2 factors that negatively relate to asking price (lower asking price --> more likely underpriced):
1. investor sentiment
2. prestigious board
The board itself will not be able to affect the asking pricing alone - one must consider the investor sentiment. Therefore, the board itself is not an indicator of the asking price and the answer should be no.

However, the first OA for Q3 contradicts such logic, for it assumes that the board is the only factor affecting asking price (thus the underpricing). What if the primary reason for Safaricom's underpricing is investor sentiment while the primary reason for Co-Operative Bank's underpricing is the board?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Kudos
I don't understand question number 2

2. For each of the following statements, select Inferable if the statement is reasonably inferable from the information provided about the NSE IPOs. Otherwise select Not Inferable.

"IPOs of firms with prestigious boards were more likely to be underpriced than those of other firms."
According to the passage, it tells that
However, after examining the
(15) firms listed, they were surprised to find that
(16) none of the variables showed a strong positive
(17) correlation with IPO pricing, and in fact investor
(18) sentiment and board prestige both showed a
(19) strong negative correlation.

Therefore, prestigious boards do negatively affect to the IPO price and then make the firms underpriced.

Why the answer is no
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
I finally understand. The sentiment and broad prestige only affect the set of the IPO price, which do not affect the first day closing price. Therefore, the lower the IPO price have nothing relate to the first day closing price, and the under price percentage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
xiafan0521 wrote:
I finally understand. The sentiment and broad prestige only affect the set of the IPO price, which do not affect the first day closing price. Therefore, the lower the IPO price have nothing relate to the first day closing price, and the under price percentage.

Yes. PRICING and UNDERPRICED are two different concepts. Here PRICING refers to the absolute price number.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Gmat Ninja can you please clear the ambiguity for q2 and q3?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
A bit confused by 3 c: since the P0 value is higher, can we infer that the sentiments towards kengen was more favorable?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1842
Send PM
Researchers recently examined the initial public offering (IPO) [#permalink]
Hi Sajjad1994

Kindly can you post the official explanation for Q2 and Q3 ? Some options in both these questions are creating ambiguity.

GMATNinjaTwo, @GMATCoachBen Can you pls help with Q2 and Q3 correct answers with explanations ?

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
chetan2u
Sir,
Please explain question 2 option b.
I marked it non inferebale because of "The researchers noted that firms should take care to set an IPO price low enough to capture investor interest but high enough to generate sufficient capital for the firm."
but there was no info about about wheather Firestone East Africa have ­generate sufficient capital for the firm.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93060 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11216 posts