Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [21]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [1]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Rooms in small hotels, which tend to position themselves as [#permalink]
Kudos
is it B ? Seems irrelevant to the argument.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
thanks mike
can u please explain as why D is strengthener
D says : When the weather is cold, there is less demand for hotel rooms and therefore larger hotels have excess capacity

i don't see as any correlation between "less demand" and "excess capacity" should help ! had it been "more demand" and "excess capacity" then it would have been a different case .

Dear aditya8062,
First of all, let's make sure we understand the terminology here.
"less demand" = fewer customers want to stay at these hotels in winter months
"excess capacity" = more empty rooms, because fewer people are staying there
If demand goes down, typically the price goes down: that's a very basic point of the Law of Supply & Demand. If bigger hotels have cheaper rooms when the weather is cold, that is one reason to stay there, rather than in the smaller hotels. That's a strengthener.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Kudos
I got the official answer:
</bold> Official Explanation </bold>

The argument states that people should not book rooms in small hotels during cold weather because such hotels might not provide heating. The support for the heating portion comes from a comparison of electricity usage in similar rooms in small and larger hotels.

A - If larger hotels use less electricity to heat their rooms, and the difference in electricity usage still exists, then it is more likely that small hotels do not provide heating. This option would have been possible if it had asserted that small hotels use more efficient heating, because that could have been a possible explanation for the difference in electricity usage.

B - If the same lighting technology is used by both types of hotels, it is more likely that the difference in electricity usage is attributable to the presence (or absence) of heating.

C - Correct. If people spend less time in their rooms (in small hotels), it is possible that the reason for the lower electricity usage in small hotels is not the lack of heating.

D - If rooms are not available in larger hotels, that could weaken the conclusion that people should not book rooms in small hotels. By providing us the opposite, this option strengthens the conclusion.

E - Similarly, if people who use small hotels are not more likely to try to save electricity, it is more likely that the difference in electricity usage is attributable to the presence (or absence) of heating.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Send PM
D seems best to me: When the weather is cold, there is less demand for hotel rooms and therefore larger hotels have excess capacity.

i will provide explanation once u confirm the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Sorry
I am deleting the answer as I felt I was wrong

Originally posted by mba1382 on 04 Jun 2014, 05:49.
Last edited by mba1382 on 04 Jun 2014, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
thanks mike
can u please explain as why D is strengthener
D says : When the weather is cold, there is less demand for hotel rooms and therefore larger hotels have excess capacity

the argument is about how large hotels are better in cold weather .so any answer that strengthens the argument must hint at the fact that large hotels are able to provide better heating. how does "excess capacity" help to provide better heating ?

Originally posted by aditya8062 on 05 Jun 2014, 11:29.
Last edited by aditya8062 on 05 Jun 2014, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
If bigger hotels have cheaper rooms when the weather is cold, that is one reason to stay there, rather than in the smaller hotels. That's a strengthener.

sorry my text in my last post got little different from what i wanted to put .anyway

but mike don't u think that the argument is about how large hotels are better in cold weather .so any answer that strengthens the argument must hint at the fact that large hotels are able to provide better heating. how does "excess capacity" help to provide better heating ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
explanation :

premise1 : Rooms in small hotels, which tend to position themselves as Eco-friendly alternatives to larger hotels, generally register lower electricity usage than similar rooms in larger hotels

premise 2 : It is also true that heating requires a lot of electricity

conclusion : Therefore, people should not book rooms in small hotels when the weather gets very cold.

assumption : people tend to look for warmer rooms in very cold weather, a situation which is very true in real life as well !!

so in order to support conclusion lets hit at assumption

a> Centralized heating systems used only in larger hotels help to bring down the cost of heating an individual room in such hotels.--->supports ; if despite central heating (a process that lowers the cost) ,the electricity usage of bigger hotel is more then it means that they indeed keep their hotels warm

b> Small hotels use the same extremely energy efficient lighting technology used in larger hotels.---> supports ; same "lighting technology" is being used then also if electricity usage of small hotels is less that means that heating is definitely less in small hotels

c> People who stay in small hotels typically spend significantly less time in their rooms than those who stay in larger hotels.--->supports ; if u r spending more time in big hotels then u need the room warmer, for obvious reasons

d> When the weather is cold, there is less demand for hotel rooms and therefore larger hotels have excess capacity.------>correct

e> People who book rooms in hotels they consider Eco-friendly are not any more likely than other people to try to save electricity by not using any available heating.------->supports ; well all it means is that people wants warmer room !!!

I found your reasoning sound.. except in option C"
the conclusion is "Therefore, people should not book rooms in small hotels when the weather gets very cold. " base on the premise that "heating requires a lot of electricity"
I think option C) "people spend significantly less time in their room than those who stays in larger rooms" indicates that people who stay in small hotels do not need heading that much comparing to those who stay in large hotels, because they spend significantly less time in their room, and therefore not so much electricity is needed for heating.
so option C obviates the need for the usage of electricity in small hotels for heating in cold weather, so weaken the conclusion
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
I found your reasoning sound.. except in option C"
the conclusion is "Therefore, people should not book rooms in small hotels when the weather gets very cold. " base on the premise that "heating requires a lot of electricity"
I think option C) "people spend significantly less time in their room than those who stays in larger rooms" indicates that people who stay in small hotels do not need heading that much comparing to those who stay in large hotels, because they spend significantly less time in their room, and therefore not so much electricity is needed for heating.
so option C obviates the need for the usage of electricity in small hotels for heating in cold weather, so weaken the conclusion

well honestly i will suggest u what Mike has suggested me: leave this question
also as for C there can be different angle by which we can look at this option
the fact the people spends more time in larger hotels puts extra need to the fact that u need that room warmer .hence supporting as why in cold weather people who look for larger rooms
you see "causation" is a beautiful thing !! who knows that the fact the small rooms are cold is actually forcing people to spend less time in those hotels and thus they might be spending more time at workplace or cafes !!

just as an aside: i once lodged so lousy hotel in Cairo (suez canal) that i was forced to spend more time at my office and at pyramid sites (though i had no interest). but i guess i did so because staying in that hotel was even more torturous !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Option C is a clear weakener here (atleast IMHO).. If people in smaller hotels spend significantly less time in their rooms than that spent by people in larger hotels, that explains why the electricity usage is lower..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Solution:
Although I do have a doubt, why not E?

To prove AND cross out any option that = Small hotels not good in cold weather

A - + for Large hotels - CROSS OUT

B - The only +ve small hotels had has been nullified so now larger hotels are better - CROSS OUT

D - Larger have excess capacity so price might be less - CROSS OUT

E - people booking eco-friendly rooms v/s people who dont - both equally likely to save electricity

C - not affecting the conclusion in these ways so stronger - ANSWER
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts