It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

sc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 515 [0], given: 22

sc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 01:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Attachment:
untitled3.JPG
untitled3.JPG [ 73.13 KiB | Viewed 882 times ]

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 0

Re: sc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 10:32
A
C,D and E are wrong bcos of the usage of provided with
B is wrong for usage of milked.
A is parallel and converys the right meaning
study wrote:
Attachment:
untitled3.JPG

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 568 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 10:53
C, D and E out cause of 'provided', B out cause of singular use of cow......IMO A

Last edited by reply2spg on 24 Jan 2009, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 568 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2009, 10:57
Some more detail and explanations with your answer choice please.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 11:14
My pick is also A with the following reasons:

"them" must refer to plural "cows". Because of this, B and D are out.

"providing them.....and milking them...." is an adverbial clause in a correct form. Moreover, future tense "will produce" in option E is not required.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1910 [2], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 22:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
At first, none of the answers looks right - this is certainly a high level question. B) and D) cannot be correct, as mentioned above, because the sentence has a plural number of cows ('them') at the beginning of the sentence, and a singular number of cows at the end. A) doesn't look at all promising, because, if you interpret 'takes care', 'providing' and 'milking' to be a list of actions performed by the farmer, you expect parallelism; that is, you expect it to read: "takes care to keep them cool, provides them with high energy feed, and milks them regularly..." Unfortunately none of the answers is parallel in this sense, *so we can't interpret the underlined passage as part of a sequence of actions performed by the farmer*. The underlined passage isn't attached to the beginning of the sentence at all, in fact; it's attached to the end of the sentence. If we simply reorder the words, using what should be the correct answer (that's E), I assume), the meaning should become clear:

Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool.

Try to do the same rearrangement with answer A) and you'll see there's a problem.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1910 [2], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2009, 23:04
IanStewart wrote:
At first, none of the answers looks right - this is certainly a high level question. B) and D) cannot be correct, as mentioned above, because the sentence has a plural number of cows ('them') at the beginning of the sentence, and a singular number of cows at the end. A) doesn't look at all promising, because, if you interpret 'takes care', 'providing' and 'milking' to be a list of actions performed by the farmer, you expect parallelism; that is, you expect it to read: "takes care to keep them cool, provides them with high energy feed, and milks them regularly..." Unfortunately none of the answers is parallel in this sense, *so we can't interpret the underlined passage as part of a sequence of actions performed by the farmer*. The underlined passage isn't attached to the beginning of the sentence at all, in fact; it's attached to the end of the sentence. If we simply reorder the words, using what should be the correct answer (that's E), I assume), the meaning should become clear:

Provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year for the farmer who takes care to keep them cool.

Try to do the same rearrangement with answer A) and you'll see there's a problem.

Missed this......Ian is right..

The thought of re-arranging didn't strike me. It's only after I read your explanation that it became clear.

But, there can be case where there can be a main verb and at the same time not being parallel to secondary verbs. As in " She travelled around the world, visiting many places and tasting a variety of foods, much to the chagrin of her parents...."

So what I'm trying to say here is this portion of SC can get very tricky.

What if one of the answer choices had been " For the farmer......................Holstein cows produce XXX"

Cheers,

Unplugged

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2009, 02:07
Ian is correct.

Thanks for the explanation.

OA is E.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2009, 04:13
Ian, u must b a gebius 2 get that right. I had nev thought of reararnging the sentence in such a situation. Can u pls tell in detail whn 2 go 4 such an arrangement. I chose A bcos I understud this out of A:
Because of the efforts of farmer who keeps them cool,provides the cows with high energy feed and also milks them regularly, the cows give .....milk. Wht is wrong in my intrepretation?
IanStewart wrote:

Re: sc   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2009, 04:13