Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Quote:
For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

Quote:
(A) providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

I fell for this one at first. Here, weirdly, providing them with and milking them incorrectly seem to be modifying the prep phrase for the former who takes care of them to be cool or could modify Holstein cows are producing, neither of those options make much sense. If you didn’t fall for it xD, eliminate!

Quote:
(B) providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

No parallelism, also SV error because them doesn’t agree with Holstein cow. Easy to Eliminate.

Quote:
(C) provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

Not much better than B, no parallelism. Out.

Quote:
(D) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

The SV error in B is back although the parallelism seems ok here. Keep them cool, provided with x and milked y (past participles)

Quote:
(E) provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

The Parallelism is good here & them agrees with Holstein cows. The use of future tense is also fine because you can show the effect of the cows having been kept cool, milked etc: in the future! E is the answer!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
In this we have three modifiers

''provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly'' these two modify cows

''for the farmers who take care to keep....'' a prepositional modifier. What is it modifying? How does this fit into the construction

is it like we have a 3 modifiers in a row?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:

''for the farmers who take care to keep....'' a prepositional modifier. What is it modifying? How does this fit into the construction

No... The structure of the correct sentence is
For the farmer who takes care to keep them...
cool,
provided with high-energy feed,
and
milked regularly,
... Holstein cows will produce an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each per year.

I.e., the farmers keep them cool, keep them provided with high-energy feed, and keep them milked regularly.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the prepositional "For the farmer who takes care to keep them...regularly" modifies the clause "Holstein cows will produce...per year", providing extra information about the action of the cows producing milk; within this modifier, we have three noun modifiers - "cool" "provided with high-energy feed", and "milked regularly" that act upon the pronoun "them".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatVerbal EMPOWERgmatRichC - Can you please share your analysis
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi All,

While this SC is a bit wordy and quirky, it's based on a couple of standard Grammar rules that are not too difficult to spot:

1) Parallelism: The prompt defines 3 tasks for a farmer - so we have to make sure that the 3 tasks are written in parallel 'format.' From the answer choices, we can see some 'gerunds' (re: "-ing" words) sprinkled about, but a gerund is NOT parallel with the first, non-underlined item in the list ("to keep them cool"). Thus, we need the 2nd and 3rd items to be "provided" and "milked." Eliminate Answers A, B and C.

2) Subject-Pronoun agreement: The beginning, non-underlined portion of the sentence uses the pronoun THEM to refer to something that will be kept cool, milked, etc. - so we need a PLURAL noun at some point to match-up with that pronoun. "Cows" is correct here (as opposed to "cow", which is singular). Eliminate Answer D.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
in A]

1) If I apply parallelism:
who take care to keep ( commom for 3 items below)
i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

How should I identify grammatical error instead of going by the sound of it?

2) can adjective - 'cool' be parallel to 'providing' as 'cool' is parallel to 'provided' an ed verbal in E]

3) a side question: does comma +ing verbal rule applies in same manner to comma_ed verbal

please share few examples to support your answer.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
in A]

i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

2) can adjective - 'cool' be parallel to 'providing' as 'cool' is parallel to 'provided' an ed verbal in E]

3) a side question: does comma +ing verbal rule applies in same manner to comma_ed verbal

Hello Anshul1223333,

To answer your queries, if "keep" is taken common to the three elements in the list, we get the verb phrase "keep providing" and "keep milking", thus "providing" and "milking" cannot parallel the adjective "cool" because in these constructions the present participles ("verb+ing") are not acting as adjectives.

Further, no; "comma + present participle ("verb+ing")" does not act in the same way as "comma + past participle"; remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “milking” and "providing" in this case) after comma modifies the entirety of the preceding clause and generally leads to a cause-effect relationship, but "comma + past participle" functions just as any other noun modifier would, modifying the noun just before the comma.

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5

why 'providing and 'milking' not acting as adjectives in A] but 'provide' milked' acting as adjectives in E]

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Anshul1223333 wrote:
in A]

i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

Hello Anshul1223333,

To answer your queries, if "keep" is taken common to the three elements in the list, we get the verb phrase "keep providing" and "keep milking", thus "providing" and "milking" cannot parallel the adjective "cool" because in these constructions the present participles ("verb+ing") are not acting as adjectives.

Further, no; "comma + present participle ("verb+ing")" does not act in the same way as "comma + past participle"; remember, the introduction of present participle ("verb+ing"- “milking” and "providing" in this case) after comma modifies the entirety of the preceding clause and generally leads to a cause-effect relationship, but "comma + past participle" functions just as any other noun modifier would, modifying the noun just before the comma.

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5

why 'providing and 'milking' not acting as adjectives in A] but 'provide' milked' acting as adjectives in E]

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Anshul1223333 wrote:
in A]

i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

Hello Anshul1223333,

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hello Anshul1223333,

To answer your query, "keep + present participle ("verb+ing")" is an active verb phrase, for example, "I keep losing my socks.", but "keep + past participle" is not.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ExpertGlobal5

in A] can we call 'providing' , 'milking' acting as noun gerunds.

as 'loosing' is a gerund in the example you shared below.

Hello Anshul1223333,

To answer your query, "keep + present participle ("verb+ing")" is an active verb phrase, for example, "I keep losing my socks.", but "keep + past participle" is not.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team[/quote]
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
in A]

i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

These are non-parallel.

Parallel structures don't have to match up exactly—it's ok if some of them have, e.g., extra attached modifiers that others don't have—but parallel structures MUST ALWAYS have the same grammatical role overall.
e.g.,
noun || other noun (although they can have varying quantities of modifiers and/or adjectives attached to them)
verb || other verb (although tenses may be different, if the context so requires)
modifier of a noun || another modifier of the noun
etc.

In this breakdown, "providing them" and "milking them" are the same type of grammatical element, but "them cool" is definitely not that type. So these are not valid parallel structures.

Quote:

Yes.
Consider the absolute requirement stated above (parallel structures need to be the same grammar thing overall).

In the correct version of this sentence,
• "cool" is a modifier of "[keep] them"
• "provided with high-energy feed" is also a modifier of "[keep] them"
• "milked regularly" is a modifier of "[keep] them", too

These are parallel. They're also the only 3 elements you can dig out here that ARE parallel—so even if they "sound weird" to you, they're the right parallel elements by default.
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:

No.

comma + _ING—with the exception of "including", which you should consider a preposition rather than an _ING form—needs to modify the entirety of the preceding clause.

comma + _ED, on the other hand, often describes only a noun.
In fact, GMAC mostly uses this type of modifier to describe nouns. This is one example from the official guide.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
in A] can we call 'providing' , 'milking' acting as noun gerunds.

RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Anshul1223333 wrote:
in A]

i- them cool,
ii- providing them,
iii- milking them

These are non-parallel.

Parallel structures don't have to match up exactly—it's ok if some of them have, e.g., extra attached modifiers that others don't have—but parallel structures MUST ALWAYS have the same grammatical role overall.
e.g.,
noun || other noun (although they can have varying quantities of modifiers and/or adjectives attached to them)
verb || other verb (although tenses may be different, if the context so requires)
modifier of a noun || another modifier of the noun
etc.

In this breakdown, "providing them" and "milking them" are the same type of grammatical element, but "them cool" is definitely not that type. So these are not valid parallel structures.

Quote:

Yes.
Consider the absolute requirement stated above (parallel structures need to be the same grammar thing overall).

In the correct version of this sentence,
• "cool" is a modifier of "[keep] them"
• "provided with high-energy feed" is also a modifier of "[keep] them"
• "milked regularly" is a modifier of "[keep] them", too

These are parallel. They're also the only 3 elements you can dig out here that ARE parallel—so even if they "sound weird" to you, they're the right parallel elements by default.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
in the right answer we have below phrase:

''For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, ''

is this a dependent clause? I did not see verb for 'Farmer'?

'FOR' here takes the sense of 'Because'?
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mansianand1234 wrote:
in the right answer we have below phrase:

''For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, provided them with high-energy feed, and milked them regularly, ''

is this a dependent clause? I did not see verb for 'Farmer'?

It's not a clause. It's a prepositional phrase that begins with the preposition "for."

Quote:
'FOR' here takes the sense of 'Because'?

In this case, "for" doesn't mean "because." It means something more along the lines of "to the benefit of."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi - my question is on (A)

We have comma + verb'ing

Comma + Verb'ing MODIFIES the closest subject and the closest verb.

The closet subject is them (Cows)
Closet verb is the infinitive verb (To keep)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts