GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 05:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics

Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 447
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jun 2018, 15:31
5
12
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 1664 sessions

74% (02:37) correct 26% (02:41) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 1578 sessions

92% (00:38) correct 8% (00:49) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 1589 sessions

73% (01:18) correct 27% (01:36) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs), were what controlled our circadian rhythms. Those rhythms are the biological cycles that recur approximately every 24 hours in synchronization with the cycle of sunlight and darkness caused by Earth’s rotation. Studies have demonstrated that in some animals, the SCNs control daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin. Furthermore, cells in the human retina dedicated to transmitting information about light level to the SCNs have recently been discovered.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans. In addition, when laboratory rats that usually ate at will were fed only once a day, peak activity of a clock gene in their livers shifted by 12 hours, whereas the same clock gene in the SCNs remained synchronized with light cycles. While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light—including temperature changes—that recur regularly 24 hours.


1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
(B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
(C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
(D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding belief to be revised
(E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon




2. The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT

(A) activity level
(B) blood pressure
(C) alertness
(D) vision
(E) temperature



3. The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs?

(A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.
(B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
(C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
(D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
(E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.


Originally posted by JarvisR on 16 Aug 2015, 08:06.
Last edited by hazelnut on 03 Jun 2018, 15:31, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4489
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 10:56
6
JarvisR wrote:
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs), were what controlled our circadian rhythms. Those rhythms are the biological cycles that recur approximately every 24 hours in synchronization with the cycle of sunlight and darkness caused by Earth’s rotation. Studies have demonstrated that in some animals, the SCNs control daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin. Furthermore , cells in the human retina dedicated to transmitting information about light level to the SCNs have recently been discovered.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not that the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans. In addition, when laboratory rats that usually ate at will were fed only once a day, peak activity of a clock gene in their livers shifted by 12 hours, whereas the same clock gene in the SCNs remained synchronized with light cycles. While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light – including temperature changes – that recur regularly 24 hours.
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that ;has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon



The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature


The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.
B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.


Dear JarvisR,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This of course is the 3rd RC passage in the OG2016, and the questions are RC #8-10.

The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon

In Par 1, he talks about the role of the SCN in regulating circadian rhythms. In Par. 2, he cites new evidence that is not entirely compatible with the SCN running everything. The first paragraph really sets the stage of what the author wants to say. The second paragraph is really the author's main point, the juicy point he want to make--- the first paragraph just sets the stage so we have context for the second paragraph. The "SCN runs the whole thing" theory was called "long believed," so it is a longstanding theory that the new evidence calls into question, causing scientist to revise the longstanding theory. This is what (D) says.

The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature

The choices (A), (B), (C), and (E) are all mentioned, in the second half of the first paragraph, as functions that the SCN controls. By contrast, vision is tricky. The SCN doesn't "control" vision. Instead, vision provides the crucial data, information about natural light, that allows the SCN to do its job. The SCN depends on vision, it doesn't control it. OA = (D).

The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.

No, nonsense. The regulation of circadian rhythms occurs elsewhere in the body, but there is no SCN outside the hypothalamus.

B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
A good balanced assessment. The SCN is important, but is no longer believed to be "the only show in town." This is promising.

C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
There's zero evidence for this. The SCN is discussed, and then later, gene clocks with a similar role are discuss, but no connection is made back to the SCN.

D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
The second paragraph says: "While scientist do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as ... blood pressure." This choice directly contradicts this quote.

E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.
No. Confuses different things. The SCNs respond to light. The gene clocks & circadian clocks in other parts of the body respond to other external cues.

OA = (B)

Here's a blog you may find useful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-rc-el ... g-answers/

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions about any of these.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2011
Posts: 34
Location: Kenya
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2016, 11:29
Super easy passage. Got all correct in less than 5 minutes. Love what you are reading, make judicious notes and POE for the answer options. Hope that works in the real exam too!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 01:56
Hi, I am finding it difficult to understand the passage starting from "Four Critical genes" till the end. So, unable to answer Q1 and Q3. Please support
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4489
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2017, 14:31
1
priyanshu14 wrote:
Hi, I am finding it difficult to understand the passage starting from "Four Critical genes" till the end. So, unable to answer Q1 and Q3. Please support

Dear priyanshu14

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Part of the problem was a single word misprint that made the first sentence incomprehensible. Here's what appeared in the first post of this thread:
Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not that the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans.
That sentence made no sense, so I check in the OG: here's what it should be:
Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans.
I made the change in the passage above. I don't know whether this helps.

Apart from that, my friend, I am going to say that your question is really a non-question. All you say is that you don't understand. This is a question that provide almost no information. An excellent question would make clear: what do you understand? What questions do you have about the passage? What do you think about the things about which you feel uncertain? Say as much as you can about this passage. See this post:
Asking Excellent Questions
You see, asking excellent question is one of the habits of excellence. You cannot achieve excellence on the GMAT unless you are willing to put in the effort to be excellent in each aspect of your studying.

I am going to challenge you: write the high-quality question you can about this second paragraph, and I will answer your question.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 681
Premium Member
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:47
Passage notes:
Passage 1: Scientists (long believed): 2 nerve clusters (SCNs) controlled rhythms (cycles-24 hours)
- Studies suggest something about animals : SCNs control BP, temp., activity, alertness, and melatonin.

- Furthermore (more info. on the same line): cells in retina discovered

Passage 2: 4 genes governing cycles are found in every tissue.
- However (some contrast)
-In addition- Experiment explained

Scientists (now believe): C. Clocks MAY respond to external cues other than light.

412. D
413. D
414. A



Thanks
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.


Originally posted by Shiv2016 on 29 Jun 2017, 02:10.
Last edited by Shiv2016 on 29 Sep 2017, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 96
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 10:54
4:54 sec.

Ans:
1. Scientists believe SCN controlled circadian rhythms. But later new discoveries have led to believe that other genes also regulate these cycles.
So answer is D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding belief to be revise

2. Passage mentions everything except vision. Answer D

3. Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been discovered. Answer is B which says that the SCNs do not play an exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 375
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 18:22
mikemcgarry wrote:
JarvisR wrote:
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs), were what controlled our circadian rhythms. Those rhythms are the biological cycles that recur approximately every 24 hours in synchronization with the cycle of sunlight and darkness caused by Earth’s rotation. Studies have demonstrated that in some animals, the SCNs control daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin. Furthermore , cells in the human retina dedicated to transmitting information about light level to the SCNs have recently been discovered.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not that the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans. In addition, when laboratory rats that usually ate at will were fed only once a day, peak activity of a clock gene in their livers shifted by 12 hours, whereas the same clock gene in the SCNs remained synchronized with light cycles. While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light – including temperature changes – that recur regularly 24 hours.
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that ;has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon



The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature


The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.
B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.


Dear JarvisR,
I'm happy to respond. :-) This of course is the 3rd RC passage in the OG2016, and the questions are RC #8-10.

The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon

In Par 1, he talks about the role of the SCN in regulating circadian rhythms. In Par. 2, he cites new evidence that is not entirely compatible with the SCN running everything. The first paragraph really sets the stage of what the author wants to say. The second paragraph is really the author's main point, the juicy point he want to make--- the first paragraph just sets the stage so we have context for the second paragraph. The "SCN runs the whole thing" theory was called "long believed," so it is a longstanding theory that the new evidence calls into question, causing scientist to revise the longstanding theory. This is what (D) says.

The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature

The choices (A), (B), (C), and (E) are all mentioned, in the second half of the first paragraph, as functions that the SCN controls. By contrast, vision is tricky. The SCN doesn't "control" vision. Instead, vision provides the crucial data, information about natural light, that allows the SCN to do its job. The SCN depends on vision, it doesn't control it. OA = (D).

The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.

No, nonsense. The regulation of circadian rhythms occurs elsewhere in the body, but there is no SCN outside the hypothalamus.

B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
A good balanced assessment. The SCN is important, but is no longer believed to be "the only show in town." This is promising.

C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
There's zero evidence for this. The SCN is discussed, and then later, gene clocks with a similar role are discuss, but no connection is made back to the SCN.

D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
The second paragraph says: "While scientist do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as ... blood pressure." This choice directly contradicts this quote.

E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.
No. Confuses different things. The SCNs respond to light. The gene clocks & circadian clocks in other parts of the body respond to other external cues.

OA = (B)

Here's a blog you may find useful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-rc-el ... g-answers/

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any further questions about any of these.

Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

in above passage what does following sentence want to convey.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles
have been found to be active in every tissue,
however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and
humans.

Regards,
Ammu
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4489
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 08:54
ammuseeru wrote:
Hi Mike,

in above passage what does following sentence want to convey.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles
have been found to be active in every tissue,
however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and
humans.

Regards,
Ammu


I'm happy to respond. :-)

So, the passage lets us know that the "suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCN)" is the place that runs the circadian cycles (that is, the 24-hour cycles of sleeping & waking). Naively, we would expect everything about circadian rhythms to be run from there. Then, this sentences surprises us.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans.

Four of the genes that play crucial role in governing sleep/wake cycles are not just in the SCN, where we'd expect--instead, they're everywhere throughout the body!

My friend, if this sentence was a challenge to you, you need to practice reading. You need to read Scientific American every week for practice. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jul 2014
Posts: 66
GMAT Date: 07-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 14:20
Hi Mike,

I am having confusion in Q1. in both option D and E. I chose E due to the fact that it was long standing belief on SCNs,however in the last sentence the scientist agreed the role of SCNs and provided an new piece of information for cardiac system.

So why D is correct.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Oct 2017
Posts: 195
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 21:03
rajatbanik wrote:
Hi Mike,

I am having confusion in Q1. in both option D and E. I chose E due to the fact that it was long standing belief on SCNs,however in the last sentence the scientist agreed the role of SCNs and provided an new piece of information for cardiac system.

So why D is correct.


Hi rajatbanik,

Carolyn from Magoosh here -- I can step in for Mike :-)

This option is definitely tempting! Choice E) here states:

E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon

Presumably, this "biological phenomenon" is the biological cycles, or circadian rhythms. Now, part of this fits, in a sense -- it seems reasonable to describe circadian rhythms as a "commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon". However, does the passage attempt to explain it? Not really -- it mostly just describes the existing theory, and the problems with the theory. It doesn't present any alternative explanation, it just says that something other than SCNs must also contribute to the phenomenon of circadian rhythms. The passage mentions a few things like temperature changes, but it definitely doesn't focus on any particular alternative explanation.

So, we can't say that attempting to explain this phenomenon is the primary purpose of this passage. Choice D fits better :-)

Hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
_________________

Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 617
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 01:53
1
Passage 2, OG 2018.

Q1, option D needs a correction.

(D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding
belief to be revised

JarvisR wrote:
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs), were what controlled our circadian rhythms. Those rhythms are the biological cycles that recur approximately every 24 hours in synchronization with the cycle of sunlight and darkness caused by Earth’s rotation. Studies have demonstrated that in some animals, the SCNs control daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin. Furthermore, cells in the human retina dedicated to transmitting information about light level to the SCNs have recently been discovered.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans. In addition, when laboratory rats that usually ate at will were fed only once a day, peak activity of a clock gene in their livers shifted by 12 hours, whereas the same clock gene in the SCNs remained synchronized with light cycles. While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light–-including temperature changes--that recur regularly 24 hours.
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that ;has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon




The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature



The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.
B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.



_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51223
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2018, 07:58
1
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
Passage 2, OG 2018.

Q1, option D needs a correction.

(D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding
belief to be revised

JarvisR wrote:
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs), were what controlled our circadian rhythms. Those rhythms are the biological cycles that recur approximately every 24 hours in synchronization with the cycle of sunlight and darkness caused by Earth’s rotation. Studies have demonstrated that in some animals, the SCNs control daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin. Furthermore, cells in the human retina dedicated to transmitting information about light level to the SCNs have recently been discovered.

Four critical genes governing circadian cycles have been found to be active in every tissue, however, not just the SCNs, of flies, mice, and humans. In addition, when laboratory rats that usually ate at will were fed only once a day, peak activity of a clock gene in their livers shifted by 12 hours, whereas the same clock gene in the SCNs remained synchronized with light cycles. While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light–-including temperature changes--that recur regularly 24 hours.
The primary purpose of the passage is to
A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings
B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate
C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers
D) discuss evidence that ;has caused a longstanding belief to be revise
E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon




The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT
A) activity level
B) blood pressure
C) alertness
D) vision
E) temperature



The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs ?
A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus.
B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms.
C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body.
D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed.
E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues.




Edited the typo. Thank you for noticing.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Oct 2016
Posts: 243
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 15:24
Easy passage! Got 3/3 correct in 5:42 min including 3:25 min to read the passage!
_________________

Most Comprehensive Article on How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT (NEW)
Verb Tenses Simplified

If you found my post useful, KUDOS are much appreciated. Giving Kudos is a great way to thank and motivate contributors, without costing you anything.

SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1558
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 06:05
P1 - SCN, how it works
P2 - a theory around this, proof.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) challenge recent findings that appear to contradict earlier findings - no
(B) present two sides of an ongoing scientific debate - no
(C) report answers to several questions that have long puzzled researchers - could be
(D) discuss evidence that has caused a longstanding belief to be revised - could be
(E) attempt to explain a commonly misunderstood biological phenomenon - no misunderstood

c- only one question snc alone controls or not .
d- yes, first line gave that belief, rest tried to proove it.

---------------------------

2. The passage mentions each of the following as a function regulated by SCNs in same animals EXCEPT

daily fluctuations in blood pressure, body temperature, activity level, and alertness, as well as the nighttime release of the sleep-promoting agent melatonin

(D) vision

---------------------------------------------

3. The author of the passage would probably agree with which of the following statement about the SCNs?

(A) The SCNs are found in other organs and tissues of the body besides the hypothalamus. - could be
(B) The SCNs play a critical but not exclusive role in regulating circadian rhythms. - could be
(C) The SCNs control clock genes in a number of tissues and organs throughout the body. - no
(D) The SCNs are a less significant factor in regulating blood pressure than scientists once believed. - no comparison defind.
(E) The SCNs are less strongly affected by changes in light levels than are by other external cues. - no comparison defind.

Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalamus, called suprachiasmatic nuclei (SCNs) - SNC not found in other parts. A can be eliminated.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 19:19
Took 5 minutes in answering....Though the passage was easy got 2/3 correct
I marked C in Question 3
Can anyone please explain how answer of the question 3 is Option B?
aragonn
Could you please explain?
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 204
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2018, 19:20
Took 5 minutes in answering....Though the passage was easy got 2/3 correct
I marked C in Question 3
Can anyone please explain how answer of the question 3 is Option B?
aragonn
Could you please explain?
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 259
CAT Tests
Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 18:55
vasuca10 wrote:
Took 5 minutes in answering....Though the passage was easy got 2/3 correct
I marked C in Question 3
Can anyone please explain how answer of the question 3 is Option B?
aragonn
Could you please explain?



Hello Vasuca10,

Though I am not the expert whom you requested for, I can help you out with this question. Passage 2 states, "While scientists do not dispute the role of the SCNs in controlling core functions such as the regulation of body temperature and blood pressure, scientists now believe that circadian clocks in other organs and tissues may respond to external cues other than light. This is essentially what option B is saying as in passage 1, we can deduce that scientists believed that SCNs had an exclusive role in the circadian rhythms. Hope this helps!
SC Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 23 Sep 2015
Posts: 1558
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2018, 19:27
csaluja spot-on, vasuca10 - Sorry mate, I might have missed your request among other things. I will focus on approach. How to approach such type of questions. So
1. first thing is Para map - you have to be clear what para is saying what.
2. read the question carefully and understand what you need to answer.
3. read the choices, try to eliminate choices that you can. most cases one can eliminate 2-3 choices.
4. refer right para for remaining choices only. Para map will help you to find the correct or in correct choice. remember that if you have 2 choices left finding a right or wrong choice is going to help you. as remaining choice will be the correct one.
This approach will help you in solving these type of question faster.
This is what I did in my answer above. I left with A and B and then I referred for the passage.
Hope it is helpful.
_________________

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam &nbs [#permalink] 11 Dec 2018, 19:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scientist long believed that two nerve cluster in the human hypothalam

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.