Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [68]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [17]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [4]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, [#permalink]
Kudos
raghavs wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s
wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of
iridescence, are enabling
the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its
wings and how much is reflected away.

A. wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon
of iridescence, are enabling
B. wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables
C. wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence, enabling
D. wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence—also enables
E. wings—of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence—also enable

Hi!

I'm not sure if you have a specific question or are just wondering about the sentence in general, but we'll look at the whole thing.

A commonly tested grammar topic on the GMAT is modification. Here's the general rule:

Quote:
When a sentence includes a modifying word or phrase, that word or phrase must be placed as closely as possible to whatever it's modifying.

This particular sentence is all about modification - and we recognize that by the parenthetical comment in the middle:

Quote:
, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence,

(I included the commas because those are our signals that we're almost certainly being tested on modification).

So, whatever that phrase is modifying should be directly before or after the phrase.

In the original sentence, the subject of the modifying phrase isn't as clear as the GMAT demands; it could be the wings or the layered construction of the wings. When there's any kind of modification ambiguity, it's extremely unlikely that the choice will be correct.

Looking at the remaining choices:

B) has the same issue as (A) (adding "which is" doesn't make it any clearer) - eliminate.

C) has the same issue as (A) - eliminate.

D) begins with 'the same construction as' - this fixes the ambiguity issue as we now know that we're talking about the layered construction - looks good!

E) "of the same construction" doesn't make sense when read into the sentence - "of" messes up the meaning and flow - eliminate.

Choose (D)!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I don't know why but i think this problem is itself has wrong construction -that the ultrathin, I find this sentence incomplete.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

Quote:
nightmare
I don't know why but i think this problem is itself has wrong construction -that the ultrathin, I find this sentence incomplete.

I am afraid that the sentence is being parsed wrongly down here. Let's not get into thinking that the ultrathin is any kind of a proper noun or specific name. It is just an adjective meaning extremely thin. The real subject of the sentence is the "construction" that is modified by two back - to - back coordinate adjectives namely ultrathin and layered. In the light of the fact that such a construction is making the butterflys shimmer and is enabling the butterflys to control the heat mechanism, "also enables" is good enough.

Now on to the choices.

A. wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling ---are enabling is SV error.

B. wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables -- 1. Which is wrongly modifying wings. 2. Wings, which is an awful SV error. 3. This sentence is a fragment.
C. wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the
phenomenon of iridescence, enabling ---- a subtle meaning issue here. This choice wrongfully makes the heat-control mechanism as an effect of the shimmering by placing the heat-controlling as a modifier of shimmering.
D. wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enables -- Correct choice.
E. wings—of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enable --- also enable is SV error.

mikemcgarry ,sayantanc2k , RonPurewal , daagh ,GMATNinja ,egmat , other experts -- please englighten

1. In option A , if we change are enabling to enable , then option A will be correct ?

Scientists have recently discovered that the ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

2. Is the modifier "the same as the one making .. iridescence" an absolute phrase?

3. Though I was able to select the correct answer , i took longer than usual because of the presence of a comma in "ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s wings" since initially, I assumed layered construction to be a modifier .
Is the presence of this comma okay here?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
please englighten

1. In option A , if we change are enabling to enable , then option A will be correct ?

2. Is the modifier "the same as the one making .. iridescence" an absolute phrase?

3. Though I was able to select the correct answer , i took longer than usual because of the presence of a comma in "ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s wings" since initially, I assumed layered construction to be a modifier .
Is the presence of this comma okay here?

Dear Skywalker18,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is a very good SC question, and very challenging, as MGMAT material often is. The adjective "ultrathin" is a very sophisticated adjective, not often seen in non-scientific writing. Thus, in the phrase "the ultrathin, layered construction of a butterfly’s wings," the adjectives "ultrathin" and "layered" are in parallel and, as is often the case in constructions in which a pair of parallel adjectives modifies a noun, the two adjectives are separated by a comma. If you didn't recognize "ultrathin" as a adjective, then I could see that this would make the sentence much more confusing. Any time we don't know the part of speech of a single word, it makes the sentence much harder to interpret.

The construction "the same as . . . " is a unmitigated disaster in this sentence. This construction is an appositive phrase and would be correct only if the target is absolutely unambiguous.
Humphrey Bogart achieve peak star status in the movie Casablanca, the same that earned him his first Oscar nomination.
There, the construction is 100% unambiguous. Even here, the construction is a bit casual, colloquial, journalistic, not typical of academic writing. It is definitely not the way a high-brow sophisticated writer would convey the information.

In (A), the phrase is a complete train wreck because we are wondering: the same as the wings? the same as the construction? Choice (D), the OA, cleans up this ambiguity. The verb at the end of (A) is the least of the problems with that choice.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered const [#permalink]
generis

Does the option D need and before "also enables" or "- " does the work?
(D) wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enables
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered const [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
(D) Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enables the insect to control how much heat energy is absorbed by its wings and how much is reflected away.

akash7gupta11 wrote:
generis

Does the option D need and before "also enables" or "- " does the work?
(D) wings—the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enables

akash7gupta11 , this basis of this question is good. Answering it is not so easy without a boatload of jargon that you do not need.

The em dashes do not function as an AND.
We do not need AND because we have a that-clause and the word ALSO.

• ALSO
Also is an adverb that means in the same way, similarly, likewise, or in addition

Correct: X that does Thing1 ALSO does Thing2.
Nonsensical: X that does Thing1 and also does Thing2. [how we have a fragment]

The structure about which you ask could be written this way:
X blah blah—X that does P—also does Q.
X that makes P [happen] also enables Q [to happen].
The . . . construction of a butterfly's wings—the same construction that makes P happen—also enables Q to happen.

• ALSO already implies two results

The em dashes do not do the work of AND.
The modifier and the word also convey the AND (iridescent appearance + regulation of heat)

-- One result of the subject, construction, is already mentioned in the modifier set off by em dashes.
(That modifier is called a "resumptive" modifier. It repeats the subject and gives additional information.)

-- That modifier gives us one result produced by the construction of a butterfly's wings: some butterflies shimmer (iridescently, like an oyster shell).

-- That construction produces a second result: a butterfly can control the amount of heat absorbed or reflected by its wings.

• no AND
We cannot insert AND.
One result of the subject has already been presented by the that-clause. The second result is signaled by the word ALSO.

If we insert and before also, the and
ruins the parallelism of X that does P also does Q.
When we add and, we get X that does P and also does Q
"And also" is nonsensical.

Wrong: X of a butterfly's wings —X that does P—AND also does Q.
Correct: X of a butterfly's wings—X that does P—ALSO does Q.

Stripped, wrong: X that does P and also does Q
Stripped, correct: X that does P also does Q

The word ALSO tells us that we are reading a second result.

• similar sentences

Try inserting the word AND before also in each sentence below.
The AND should not sound correct.
The that-clause already defines one result. The word "also" means "in a similar way [that construction makes iridescence happen]," [the construction ALSO enables . . ]

A butterfly's wing, constructed in a way that makes the insect appear iridescent, also allows the insect to regulate its heat absorption.

The construction of a butterfly's wing that makes the insect appear iridescent also allows the insect to regulate its heat absorption.

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered const [#permalink]
Kudos
Lots of good analysis by experts such as generis.

An alternative solution is to simplify the sentence.

Scientists have recently discovered that [blah-blah] construction of a butterfly's wings, [modifier], are enabling the insect [blah-blah].

Clearly, there is a Subject-Verb problem because construction is singular, and the phrase are enabling needs a plural subject. Quick scan of the answer choices shows that only options B and D have a verb that will "match" with a singular construction.

Option B does not work because of several reasons. One reason is the modifier "which" that is ambiguous (does it refer to construction or wings?), and another reason is a word that that attempts to introduce a parallel structure, i.e. scientists discovered that construction [modifier] [verb is missing] that enables [blah-blah] should have a verb.

(A) wings, the same as the one making some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, are enabling

(B) wings, which is the same one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, that also enables

(C) wings is the same as the one that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence, enabling

(E) wings—of the same construction that makes some butterflies shimmer via the phenomenon of iridescence—also enable

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 15 Jul 2019, 15:59.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 15 Jul 2019, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered const [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mykrasovski - good analysis.

I was answering a specific question, though, about whether the word AND was needed in the context of a sentence that used an em dash and a resumptive modifier. :lol: :lol:
In my original post, I will highlight the question that I answered. (It's hard to see.)

This is the question I answered:
akash7gupta11 wrote:
generis

Does the option D need and before "also enables" or "- " [do em dashes do] the work [of signaling two effects]?

I think that is the question that I was answering.
It's true that there are easier ways to choose (D). (Figure out what is wrong with B, just as you did.)

I think the question was about the structure of (D) in general (and in particular, why no "and" is needed).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

The structure about which you ask could be written this way:
X blah blah—X that does P—also does Q.
X that makes P [happen] also enables Q [to happen].
The . . . construction of a butterfly's wings—the same construction that makes P happen—also enables Q to happen.

generis, isn't the sentence "the same construction that makes ..." an appositive?
So, the original sentence should make sense if the appositive is removed.
However, the sentence "Scientists have recently discovered that the ultra thin, layered construction of a butterfly's wings also enables the insect to control ..." seems like it doesn't need also.
Could you explain?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Send PM
Kudos