GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Scored 650-710 in mocks, but scored 550 on test day!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Scored 650-710 in mocks, but scored 550 on test day!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 07:35
Hi Everyone, I am quite shocked, to say the least about my actual test experience yesterday. I started my preparations in September 2018 with the official guides and completed both verbal and quant official guides in a month. I took the first free official mock on 30 September and was quite contended to see a score of 700 (Q49 V35). I thought this was a great score and I could easily cruise my way to a higher score in the next couple of months. I knew I had some conceptual issues in verbal and therefore I opted for the egmat verbal course. This course helped in getting a lot of clarity with respect to the sentence correction and served as a good practice for CR and RC as well. Alongwith that, I took all the verbal CAT's on gmatclub with an average of about 35, however I found the quant tests on gmatclub somewhat difficult averaging about 40 in those. I practiced around 500 SC's from the SC1000 list and about 250 from the manhattan SC. For CR, I covered all examples in the Powerscore CR apart from egmat scholaranium.

I continued to practice CR, SC and RC from various sources and following were my scores in the mocks which I have attempted

Official GMAT Prep test 1 - 700 (Sep 2018)
Official GMAT Prep test 2- 650 (Oct 2018)
Official GMAT Prep Test 3 -650 (5 days before the test)
Official GMAT Prep Test 4 - 710 (3 days before the test) Q50 V 35
Manhattan free mock - 640 - Nov 2018
Kaplan - 650 -Nov 2018
Expert Global - 690 - Nov 2018
800 score - (average of 720 in all 5 CAT's) - All taken in Dec 2018

Actual GMAT - 550 (Q44 V22)
I was surprised to see a score which I had never seen in any of the tests before.

I am not sure what exactly must have gone so wrong on the test for me to get such a dismal score. I think the ESR may be able to point towards something, however on second thoughts with such a low score, it may be possible that the ESR reflects all sections as a poor performance. So I'm not sure if it can help.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

P.S. I took the test in Mumbai at the Pearson test center which provided me with thick markers using which I was not even able to make readable notes for my RC and quant section, these makers apparently stop working when exposed to air so I had to request for additional marker but continued to struggle during the test.
RC Moderator
D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 09:04
Hello gmatace2018 ....... welcome to the community.

I am really sorry to hear that the score was lower than the one you expected. Please go through the link below created by one of our verbal expert GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html

Do not get me wrong, Q44 shows conceptual gaps. I would go through GMAT Club math book. Other than that I would practice 600-700 lvl Qs at Gmat club until I get >90-95% accuracy.
For V22 again shows gaps. Please go through the debriefs below :
abhimahna : https://gmatclub.com/forum/abhimahna-s- ... 49109.html
sayantanc2k : https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 13013.html
souvik101990 : https://gmatclub.com/forum/four-years-t ... 40262.html

I hope you will gain a lot.

Finally, Please have your ESR ....... the official way to understand the real problems at the exam.
And do not forget to rest yourself before you take the plunge again. All the best

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: Scored 650-710 in mocks, but scored 550 on test day!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2018, 20:16
u1983 wrote:
Hello gmatace2018 ....... welcome to the community.

I am really sorry to hear that the score was lower than the one you expected. Please go through the link below created by one of our verbal expert GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html

Do not get me wrong, Q44 shows conceptual gaps. I would go through GMAT Club math book. Other than that I would practice 600-700 lvl Qs at Gmat club until I get >90-95% accuracy.
For V22 again shows gaps. Please go through the debriefs below :
abhimahna : https://gmatclub.com/forum/abhimahna-s- ... 49109.html
sayantanc2k : https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 13013.html
souvik101990 : https://gmatclub.com/forum/four-years-t ... 40262.html

I hope you will gain a lot.

Finally, Please have your ESR ....... the official way to understand the real problems at the exam.
And do not forget to rest yourself before you take the plunge again. All the best
thanks for the information

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

VP
VP
P
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 03:57
gmatace2018 wrote:
I am not sure what exactly must have gone so wrong on the test for me to get such a dismal score. I think the ESR may be able to point towards something, however on second thoughts with such a low score, it may be possible that the ESR reflects all sections as a poor performance. So I'm not sure if it can help.

Hi gmatace2018, ESR would still be your best bet, to do any meaningful analysis.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

GMAT Tutor
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2018, 07:09
Top Contributor
Did you get the ESR? It might help you to figure out which sections and which part of the exam went wrong for you.
gmatace2018 wrote:
Hi Everyone, I am quite shocked, to say the least about my actual test experience yesterday. I started my preparations in September 2018 with the official guides and completed both verbal and quant official guides in a month. I took the first free official mock on 30 September and was quite contended to see a score of 700 (Q49 V35). I thought this was a great score and I could easily cruise my way to a higher score in the next couple of months. I knew I had some conceptual issues in verbal and therefore I opted for the egmat verbal course. This course helped in getting a lot of clarity with respect to the sentence correction and served as a good practice for CR and RC as well. Alongwith that, I took all the verbal CAT's on gmatclub with an average of about 35, however I found the quant tests on gmatclub somewhat difficult averaging about 40 in those. I practiced around 500 SC's from the SC1000 list and about 250 from the manhattan SC. For CR, I covered all examples in the Powerscore CR apart from egmat scholaranium.

I continued to practice CR, SC and RC from various sources and following were my scores in the mocks which I have attempted

Official GMAT Prep test 1 - 700 (Sep 2018)
Official GMAT Prep test 2- 650 (Oct 2018)
Official GMAT Prep Test 3 -650 (5 days before the test)
Official GMAT Prep Test 4 - 710 (3 days before the test) Q50 V 35
Manhattan free mock - 640 - Nov 2018
Kaplan - 650 -Nov 2018
Expert Global - 690 - Nov 2018
800 score - (average of 720 in all 5 CAT's) - All taken in Dec 2018

Actual GMAT - 550 (Q44 V22)
I was surprised to see a score which I had never seen in any of the tests before.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

P.S. I took the test in Mumbai at the Pearson test center which provided me with thick markers using which I was not even able to make readable notes for my RC and quant section, these makers apparently stop working when exposed to air so I had to request for additional marker but continued to struggle during the test.

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 00:44
I just got my ESR, it is attached..
Any advice is appreciated.
Attachments

ESR_1.pdf [509.05 KiB]
Downloaded 70 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT Tutor
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 03:05
Top Contributor
Going by the accuracy in the third section and the time consumed in the second and the third section it looks like that either you have put a lot of time on some of the wrong questions or have put a lot of time to get some questions correct. And you ran out of time in the last section so the accuracy has reduced. Going by the topics my suggestion for the sequence of topics will be:

Number Properties (including sequence)
Set theory
Ratio, rates and Percentages
Geometry and Co-ordinate geometry

Do PS for these topics first and then DS, coupled with PS and DS from other topics to keep in touch!

Hope it helps!
gmatace2018 wrote:
I just got my ESR, it is attached..
Any advice is appreciated.

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 06:30
Hi gmatace2018,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. I would request you to write to us at support@e-gmat.com with your registered email id so that we can look at your Scholaranium data along with this post and give you a precise way forward.

Looking forward to your email.

Regards,
Aditee

Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 10:34
Hi gmatace2018,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 17:16
I took my test today

I'm not surprised with your story . I myself was totally destroyed mentally . A test of one's nerve
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 09:21
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC, thanks for your response, please find below my responses.

1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH
-Sep 30 Official GMAT Prep 1 - 700 Q49 V35
- Kaplan - 650- not sure abt the split - Oct 2018
-Manhattan -640 - Q44 V 35- Oct 2018
- GMAT Prep 2 official - Oct 2018 - 650 - Q 46 V 34
- GMAT Prep 1 Retake - Nov 2018 650 Q49 V 29 (90% new questions)
-GMAT prep 2 Retake - Nov 2018 - 690 - Q49 V 34 (90% new questions)
- 800 Score. com - took 5 CAT's over weekends average score 720 Q 47 V40
- GMAT CLub Quant and Verbal tests - took CAT's, found quant difficult , average- Q 40, V 33
- Purchased GMAT Prep 3 and Prep 4 in last week before actual exam
-GMAT prep 3 - 650 Q49 V31 - 5 days before exam (all unseen questions)
-GMAT prep 4 - 710 Q50 V 35 - 2 days before exam (all unseen questions)
- GMAT Prep 1 retake - 700 - Q49 V 35 ( 80% new questions) - 1 day before exam

2. Never took the essay section.. took the IR section in some but always after the verbal and quant.. followed similar order in actual exam
3. yes
4. sometimes yes
5. no
6. yes in some, mentioned above

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi gmatace2018,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) On what dates did you take each of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you take them at home?
4) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
5) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
6) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 12:52
Hi gmatace2018,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 17:49
Hi gmatace2018,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. I agree that since you scored a V22, your ESR won’t provide too many valuable details regarding your score. That being said, we need to determine why your actual verbal score dropped so significantly from your practice test verbal scores.

Scoring high on GMAT verbal tends to involve using logic and noticing key details. However, it is possible to get some verbal questions right by looking for patterns that you have already encountered in your preparation. Looking for patterns will not always work, though, and if the patterns with which you are familiar don’t show up in the questions that you see on the actual GMAT, your verbal score will not be very high. So, one possible reason for the difference between your verbal scores on practice tests and your verbal score on the real GMAT is that you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests, but you have not really learned to do what you have to do in order to ensure a high verbal score on the actual GMAT.

To hit your verbal score goal, you probably have to adjust the way that you have been preparing. You have to focus your preparation on developing skills, such as use of logic, that you can use to correctly answer GMAT verbal questions regardless of what verbal tricks the test presents. To develop those skills, you may need to slow way down in you verbal preparation, and analyze questions and answer choices until you clearly see the logic of questions. Your preparation has to result in your much more clearly seeing what is going on in verbal questions.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scored 650-710 in mocks, but scored 550 on test day! &nbs [#permalink] 29 Dec 2018, 17:49

Scored 650-710 in mocks, but scored 550 on test day!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap