Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Re: Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46 [#permalink]
First, congrats on scoring 730. It's a great score, I don't think you should worry to much about your quant.
However, if you have a lot of time before the application deadline, I would suggest that you retake the test.
Good luck on you future application and the GMAT (if you decide to retake) !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful perspectives! I'm still a bit torn on applying... I'm going to take your suggestion Rich and head on over to the admissions expert forum.

Appreciate your help :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Amanda12345 wrote:
Hello,

First a thank you to everyone on this forum. This forum was key in my preparation and has been a good source of support throughout the process. See below for overview of my question. Thank you everyone for your insight!

Summary: I took the GMAT and got a 730. My diagnostic was 700, but quant was a 40 and 52nd percentile (surprising given my 45 is 59th percentile, but I digress). I was hoping for better outcome given the strong starting point but.. My quant is low and I'm wondering if I should retake, particularly if I think it's possible I won't get over 760 (I read elsewhere you want at least 30 higher).

Process and goals: I studied for ~100 hours for 5 weeks with (I think) a decent strategy. I focused almost entirely on quant. I plan to apply to the top business schools, where my overall score is around average.

Issue: The issue is my 45 on Quant. The score is below what I have received in practice tests (46-47). For my verbal - I generally received higher in practice tests. Moreover, the person next to me was fairly noisy and - despite my complaint to the test admin - continued distracting me the entire VERBAL section. I did not answer the last verbal question. The key issue is that my quant is listed as 59th percentile on the report. I'm worried the business schools I plan to apply to will have an allergic reaction to the tens digit "5" in quant percentile.

Additional context on my app background: I took no math classes in college so there's no dice there on them believing I'm good at math. However, I am at a MBB firm currently. Historically, I am not bad at math - I've gotten >90% in math in every previous standardized test (although I realize this is a different beast). I have a lot of time before admissions and the tradeoff of time to application prep applies less. Should I retake?

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized - I just got out of the test and am still somewhat shaken by the whole thing.

Key extra point - I had scored 46/47 on quant fairly reliably on practice tests, so this score is not so far off. If I had read the 80/80 thing I might have reconsidered taking the test with that, but I thought it was fine and was hoping for a 47 (most recent score after a final week of push). I read about 80/80 today while reviewing posts about retaking and am now concerned.

Nice job! 740 is a very high score- I wouldn't retake it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You should definitely retake. If you're at an MBB I imagine you're shooting for H/S/W. The quant score is just not high enough. IMO not all 730's are equal.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I gave my GMAT and got a final score of 690 - [v38, q45, ir 4 and awa 6] and I am planning to apply to ISB Hyderabad Round 2 Deadline i.e. tomorrow. I have an newer score which I cancelled of 680 [v36, q47, ir6 and awa6].

Can someone please suggest at the earliest should i reinstate my new score because it has a better balance in quant and verbal or should I go ahead because 690 > 680?

Urgent help needed.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi prerakbakliwal,

I see that the deadline has passed. Are you still looking for advice?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts