GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 13:16
Hello,

First a thank you to everyone on this forum. This forum was key in my preparation and has been a good source of support throughout the process. See below for overview of my question. Thank you everyone for your insight!

Summary: I took the GMAT and got a 730. My diagnostic was 700, but quant was a 40 and 52nd percentile (surprising given my 45 is 59th percentile, but I digress). I was hoping for better outcome given the strong starting point but.. My quant is low and I'm wondering if I should retake, particularly if I think it's possible I won't get over 760 (I read elsewhere you want at least 30 higher).

Process and goals: I studied for ~100 hours for 5 weeks with (I think) a decent strategy. I focused almost entirely on quant. I plan to apply to the top business schools, where my overall score is around average.

Issue: The issue is my 45 on Quant. The score is below what I have received in practice tests (46-47). For my verbal - I generally received higher in practice tests. Moreover, the person next to me was fairly noisy and - despite my complaint to the test admin - continued distracting me the entire VERBAL section. I did not answer the last verbal question. The key issue is that my quant is listed as 59th percentile on the report. I'm worried the business schools I plan to apply to will have an allergic reaction to the tens digit "5" in quant percentile.

Additional context on my app background: I took no math classes in college so there's no dice there on them believing I'm good at math. However, I am at a MBB firm currently. Historically, I am not bad at math - I've gotten >90% in math in every previous standardized test (although I realize this is a different beast). I have a lot of time before admissions and the tradeoff of time to application prep applies less. Should I retake?

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized - I just got out of the test and am still somewhat shaken by the whole thing.

Key extra point - I had scored 46/47 on quant fairly reliably on practice tests, so this score is not so far off. If I had read the 80/80 thing I might have reconsidered taking the test with that, but I thought it was fine and was hoping for a 47 (most recent score after a final week of push). I read about 80/80 today while reviewing posts about retaking and am now concerned.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 22:11
Hi Amanda12345,

First off, a 730 is an outstanding score (it's well above the 90th percentile overall), so you can apply to any Business Schools that interest you. While a Q45 won't 'impress' anyone, it would only be an issue at highly competitive Finance Programs or other Specialty Programs. As such, a retest is likely not necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest - and again, I want to stress that that is likely not necessary - then you can feel free to PM me and we can discuss how to best improve the Q45.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
G
Cesar: Cesar
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 18:07
730 is an excellent score. If you can improve your math score then you should do it again.
Good luck :)
Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Darden '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.09
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 20:33
First, congrats on scoring 730. It's a great score, I don't think you should worry to much about your quant.
However, if you have a lot of time before the application deadline, I would suggest that you retake the test.
Good luck on you future application and the GMAT (if you decide to retake) !
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 15:58
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your helpful perspectives! I'm still a bit torn on applying... I'm going to take your suggestion Rich and head on over to the admissions expert forum.

Appreciate your help :)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 21:03
Amanda12345 wrote:
Hello,

First a thank you to everyone on this forum. This forum was key in my preparation and has been a good source of support throughout the process. See below for overview of my question. Thank you everyone for your insight!

Summary: I took the GMAT and got a 730. My diagnostic was 700, but quant was a 40 and 52nd percentile (surprising given my 45 is 59th percentile, but I digress). I was hoping for better outcome given the strong starting point but.. My quant is low and I'm wondering if I should retake, particularly if I think it's possible I won't get over 760 (I read elsewhere you want at least 30 higher).

Process and goals: I studied for ~100 hours for 5 weeks with (I think) a decent strategy. I focused almost entirely on quant. I plan to apply to the top business schools, where my overall score is around average.

Issue: The issue is my 45 on Quant. The score is below what I have received in practice tests (46-47). For my verbal - I generally received higher in practice tests. Moreover, the person next to me was fairly noisy and - despite my complaint to the test admin - continued distracting me the entire VERBAL section. I did not answer the last verbal question. The key issue is that my quant is listed as 59th percentile on the report. I'm worried the business schools I plan to apply to will have an allergic reaction to the tens digit "5" in quant percentile.

Additional context on my app background: I took no math classes in college so there's no dice there on them believing I'm good at math. However, I am at a MBB firm currently. Historically, I am not bad at math - I've gotten >90% in math in every previous standardized test (although I realize this is a different beast). I have a lot of time before admissions and the tradeoff of time to application prep applies less. Should I retake?

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized - I just got out of the test and am still somewhat shaken by the whole thing.

Key extra point - I had scored 46/47 on quant fairly reliably on practice tests, so this score is not so far off. If I had read the 80/80 thing I might have reconsidered taking the test with that, but I thought it was fine and was hoping for a 47 (most recent score after a final week of push). I read about 80/80 today while reviewing posts about retaking and am now concerned.

Nice job! 740 is a very high score- I wouldn't retake it.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 11:10
You should definitely retake. If you're at an MBB I imagine you're shooting for H/S/W. The quant score is just not high enough. IMO not all 730's are equal.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46 &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 11:10

Should I retake? 730 - Q45,V46

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap