It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 628 [2], given: 2

St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2009, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:21) correct 41% (01:28) wrong based on 803 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John's residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking
(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking
(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking
(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek
(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking

A
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 26 Sep 2013, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.
OA added & Tagged

Kudos [?]: 628 [2], given: 2

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 868 [2], given: 19

Re: SC: St. John's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2009, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
reply2spg wrote:
St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as Paris, France, but in spring St. John's residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking shelter from a raging northeast storm.

(A) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes than to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or seeking
(B) residents are less likely to sit at outdoor cafes, and more to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or be seeking
(C) residents are less likely to be sitting at outdoor cafes, and more likely to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, shoveling snow, or to be seeking
(D) residents, instead of their sitting at outdoor cafes, they are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or seek
(E) residents, instead of sitting at outdoor cafes, are more likely to brace themselves against arctic chills, shovel snow, or to be seeking

A. "less x than y" is missing in all choices except in A.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 868 [2], given: 19

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2009, 10:20
reply2spg wrote:

Went for C. Seems to be the only one that is parallel.

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 37

Schools: University of Virginia

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2009, 09:30
believe it's A - the only answer that preserved the "less 'than'" phrase.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 398 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2010, 09:15
Even I went for A , going by the idiom "less X than Y" , but in A , X and Y are not parallel. Can someone please explain....??

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 18

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1141 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2010, 15:03
Raths wrote:
Even I went for A , going by the idiom "less X than Y" , but in A , X and Y are not parallel. Can someone please explain....??

+1 A

Why do you think that A is not parallel?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1141 [0], given: 109

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 15

Schools: University of Economics Prague
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2010, 02:05
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:
Raths wrote:

+1 A

Why do you think that A is not parallel?

I am also for A. ANd I think there really is paralelism in the answer.

Less liketo to be -ing than to be -ing, ing, or ing.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 15

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8360 [2], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2010, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If you expand the choice A, the subtle llism will pop-up

Residents are less likely (X) to be sitting at outdoor cafes than(Y) to be [1) bracing themselves against arctic chills, 2) shoveling snow, 3) or seeking)]

The symmetrical and idiomatic parallelism of " x than y” is maintained by using ‘ to be’ for both arms of comparison ; the series parallelism is maintained by using progressive forms such as bracing , shoveling and seeking and the ‘to be’ mentioned for the first factor is common to all the three factors.

On the contrary, C fouls tenets of comparative parallelism by choosing to drop the comparative cursor ‘than’ from the sentence and C is merely an expository statement, deviating from the focus of the text. More importantly, C breaks series llism by missing the infinitive ‘to be’ in the second arm ‘shoveling’. To be perfectly parallel, it should either state “to be bracing themselves against arctic chills, to be shoveling snow, or to be seeking” or retain ‘to be’ for the first arm and leave it for the other two, as done in choice A.

Of course B, D and E can be dropped for various infringements. A is the eventual choice,

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8360 [2], given: 366

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2011, 13:39
I'd say A too.. Curious about the OA now..

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 03:45
good question... I fell for C...
D is incorrect because of "their sitting...."
E is eliminated because of improper parallel structure...
B is incorrect again for dropping the comparative term "than"...
C again breaks the parallel structure by dropping "than"..
Left with A......

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 18:04
Looks like A should be it. ing is parallel for all the three.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 18

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2011, 19:04
Clearly A. 'less x than y' idiom and all things are parallel.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 2405

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39
Re: St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2013, 21:20
All of the answer choices sounded bad to me, but it seems as if that A was the best answer. I was torn between A and D, but chose D, because even though it had "their sitting" it was more parallel than A, because A made the sentence seem as if the residents would be bracing themselves against "shoveling snow", which does not make any sense.

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 2405

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 00:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Account Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 22:10
reply2spg wrote:

A

B - 'less likely to X and more to Y' is not the correct idiom
C - 'less likely to X and more likely to Y' seems redundant
D - 'instead of' changes the meaning.
E - 'instead of' and 'more likely' are corollary to each other
That leaves Choice A.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2015, 07:49
A wonderful comparison of Instead of v/s rather than by mikemcgarry from Magoosh
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

This helped me eliminate D and E

B and C violate parallelism as seen in A. Hence, A is the correct option

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 165

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 11:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2017, 11:54

St. John's, Newfoundland, lies on the same latitude as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap