Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6043 [58]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [7]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4225 [0]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating th [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating the lighting of streetlights during daytime. As
daytime visibility is worse in nations farther from the equator, so obviously such regulations would be
more successful in averting crime there. Actually, the only nations that have adopted such regulations are
farther from the equator than the continental United States.

Which of the following conclusions could be most properly drawn from the
information given above?

A. Bystanders in the continental United States who were near lit streetlights during the day
would be just as likely to become victims of a crime as would bystanders who were not
near lit streetlights.

B. Inadequate daytime visibility is the single most important factor in street crime in
numerous nations that are located farther from the equator than is the continental United
States.

C. In nations that have daytime streetlight regulations, the percentage of street crime that
happens in the daytime is greater than in the continental United States.

D. Nations that have daytime streetlight regulations probably have fewer incidents of street
crime annually than do occur within the continental United States.

E. Daytime streetlight regulations would probably do less to avert street crime in the
continental United States than they do in the nations that have the regulations.

I chose A , but i know why E is correct. I can't find anything wrong in A.
A says :since in Cont US streetlights play almost no role during the daylight , so it doesn't matter whether or not a bystander is near the streetlight.

Responding to a pm:

This is what the argument says "As daytime visibility is worse in nations farther from the equator, so obviously such regulations would be more successful in averting crime there."

As you go farther from the equator, the regulations become MORE effective. It's a gradient. It does not imply that the regulation has no effect in continental US and is effective beyond. It just means that it has less effect in continental US as compared with countries farther away. With distance, the effect increases. Hence (A) cannot be inferred from the argument.

Dear Karishma
What's wrong with B, it sounds just perfect too!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
reto wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating the lighting of streetlights during daytime. As
daytime visibility is worse in nations farther from the equator, so obviously such regulations would be
more successful in averting crime there. Actually, the only nations that have adopted such regulations are

information given above?

A. Bystanders in the continental United States who were near lit streetlights during the day
would be just as likely to become victims of a crime as would bystanders who were not
near lit streetlights.

B. Inadequate daytime visibility is the single most important factor in street crime in
numerous nations that are located farther from the equator than is the continental United
States.

C. In nations that have daytime streetlight regulations, the percentage of street crime that

D. Nations that have daytime streetlight regulations probably have fewer incidents of street

E. Daytime streetlight regulations would probably do less to avert street crime in the
continental United States than they do in the nations that have the regulations.

I chose A , but i know why E is correct. I can't find anything wrong in A.
A says :since in Cont US streetlights play almost no role during the daylight , so it doesn't matter whether or not a bystander is near the streetlight.

Responding to a pm:

This is what the argument says "As daytime visibility is worse in nations farther from the equator, so obviously such regulations would be more successful in averting crime there."

As you go farther from the equator, the regulations become MORE effective. It's a gradient. It does not imply that the regulation has no effect in continental US and is effective beyond. It just means that it has less effect in continental US as compared with countries farther away. With distance, the effect increases. Hence (A) cannot be inferred from the argument.

Dear Karishma
What's wrong with B, it sounds just perfect too!

The argument tells us that daytime visibility is a factor in street crimes but does it tell us that it is the "single most important factor"? No, it doesn't tell us. Perhaps social structure is the most important factor - we don't know.
So we cannot conclude (B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
This is "must be true" question. So we can only use information from the stimulus to infer conclusions. Here only answer E can be properly drawn.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 618 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Kudos

information given above?

near lit streetlights.

States.

Pre think step-As continental US is farther from the equator daytime streetlight regulations would be less effective than nations which are farther from the equator

A-This option brings in new info"Bystanders"and this we cannot conclusively infer from the statement hence incorrect
B-It may be true but it goes into extreme and states that "Inadequate daytime visibility is the single most important factor" which is not correct
C-We are not concerned about the percentage of street crime in daytime between continental US and other nations which are farther from the equator
D-We cannot conclusively infer this as no effect of daytime streetlight regulations has been discussed in the argument.This option though is very close to being the correct answer.
E-Similar to our pre think step hence correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma

Hi Karishma, I was wondering could you please explain the reasoning behind option D? I was confused between D and E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 158
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating th [#permalink]
Kudos
kingyoungin211 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Hi Karishma, I was wondering could you please explain the reasoning behind option D? I was confused between D and E.

kingyoungin211

(D) Nations that have daytime streetlight regulations probably have fewer incidents of street crime annually than do occur within the continental United States.
The argument does not say whether the crime rate is already high in such nations which do not have such regulations. For all we know, the number of crimes could be lesser than that in the US. The argument only presents a way of averting such crimes

(E) Daytime streetlight regulations would probably do less to avert street crime in the continental United States than they do in the nations that have the regulations.
However, option E says that such regulations could help the nations away from the equator more than they could help the US, which is what is inferred from the argument. Hence, this is the right answer.

Hope I could clear your doubts.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kingyoungin211 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Argument:
Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating streetlights during daytime.
As daytime visibility is worse in nations farther from the equator, regulations would be more successful in averting crime there.
The only nations that have adopted such regulations are farther from the equator than the continental United States

We need to look for a conclusion in the options:

(D) Nations that have daytime streetlight regulations probably have fewer incidents of street crime annually than do occur within the continental United States.

Note that street crimes would be fewer in countries farther from the equator when there are regulations compared with when there are no regulations (in those same c countries). The argument does not compare the level of street crimes numbers in regulation countries vs non-regulation countries. We are comparing pre regulation levels with post regulation levels in the same country.
The argument does compare daytime visibility among countries and hence talks about which countries actually have those regulations.

(E) Daytime streetlight regulations would probably do less to avert street crime in the continental United States than they do in the nations that have the regulations.
Nations that have the regulations are farther from the equator than the continental US. Regulations would be more successful in nations farther from the equator. So regulations would be LESS successful in continental US than those nations which have the regulations (which are farther away).

This is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Extream options are most of the time, wrong answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
To my eye, this question looks like an imitation of the previously mentioned question that begins, "Laws requiring the use of headlights..." (found here) from earlier editions of the OG. The overlap of language within specific answer choices—e.g., just as likely in (A), the single most important factor in (B)—as well as slight alterations—percentage in (C) for proportion in the other question, avert in (E) for prevent in the other question—together suggest a somewhat lazy effort at creating a new question.

I could admittedly be wrong, but I advocate removing the "Official Guide" tag until the source of the question can be verified. (No other site I have found provides any more insight into the source, as in which edition of the guide this question may have appeared in.)

- Andrew
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Street crime can be averted through regulations mandating th [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AndrewN wrote:
I could admittedly be wrong, but I advocate removing the "Official Guide" tag until the source of the question can be verified. (No other site I have found provides any more insight into the source, as in which edition of the guide this question may have appeared in.)

You're definitely right -- it's clear from the standard of the writing that this is not an official question (a verb other than "averted" would be more appropriate, there's a grammatically incorrect "so" in the second sentence, there's the amusingly nonsensical phrase "mandating the lighting of streetlights", etc), but it's just as clear from the careful logical construction that it's modeled very closely after an official problem. From a logical point of view, it's a better question than most prep company questions, but that's only because it has essentially been plagiarized.

The official problem is the one test takers should study, not this one, and the tag should certainly be removed. What is the source?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
From a logical point of view, it's a better question than most prep company questions, but that's only because it has essentially been plagiarized.

The official problem is the one test takers should study, not this one, and the tag should certainly be removed. What is the source?

And just like that, the tag has been removed. (Thank you, Bunuel, or some other unnamed moderator.) I am positive that, were this question to appear in a book for which some amount of money was charged, and if GMAC™ were to catch wind of it, legal proceedings would ensue. I was once put in contact with someone from the GMAC™ legal counsel when I inquired about writing questions on the side, and the word plagiarism was used in reference to just this sort of question.

I agree that, a few silly alterations aside, the logic of the question is sound, unlike what we see in some other so-called official questions. (I came across this doozy of a question the other day in my studies. Sheesh...)

Cheers, Ian.

- Andrew
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
The source should be a site called CAT 2014 or stuff like that.

The worst-case scenario is a question that looks official for whatever reason and then it is not. It gives the student the false security that you did well.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts