Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 14:20 It is currently 01 May 2024, 14:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1306 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: RetaketheGMAT by i4Excellence
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Struggling to concentrate and focus. Thinking about quitti… [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Izziedodat,

Many people find studying for the GMAT to be challenging, so you're not alone. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so if you're getting "stuck" on certain questions, then it might be that "your way" of approaching the questions is the "long way" or the "complicated way."

Before I can offer you any advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 6 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) What “brands” of CATs/mocks have you used - and how many have you taken?
3) When was the last time you took a CAT and how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to and what application deadlines are you facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gmatknightDOTcom wrote:
Might be helpful to know which sections you struggle with.

"I struggle to focus, overthinking the questions..."

If test-stamina is an issue, perhaps doing practice sets of 30 at a time may help.

Right now I'm struggling with Quant. The verbal section just seems very straightforward to me. But there are so many strategies with quant that I can't get my mind right.

Thank for your response
Intern
Intern
Send PM
RetaketheGMAT wrote:
Hi Izziedodat,

There's a good chance that your main problem with 'over-thinking problems' is very addressable by a change in the way you tackle questions. I'm referring to adopting a more consistent approach to each type of problem (PS, DS on quant side and SC CR and RC on verbal side). I work with a lot of people who face a similar challenge.

Don't confuse your overall MBA motivation (high) with the focus level (low) that you're experiencing during GMAT practice.

The main problem is taking the same approach to prep over and over again and expecting a different result. Remember the GMAT is a test of reasoning skills, not a Math or English test. You can gain a lot of energy and focus by realigning to that. You'll feel strong leaps in performance when you stop "fighting the test" (ie. treating it like every other exam you've taken in the past).

At the heart of the problem is confidence -- and confidence comes from a sense of your "READINESS" for the GMAT. We have a 90 minute FREE (no obligation) Readiness Assessment and GMAT Realignment session that we offer to anyone who can benefit.

The Readiness assessment is powerful because it focuses on both your knowledge and process readiness. I'd be happy to run through it with you -- you'll get a clear picture of what the missing pieces are in both your performance and your focus level.

Let me know if you're interested in setting it up.

Best of luck

Interesting assessment! I have studied a number of strategies and the one that Veritas provides was like an Ah Ha! moment, but you are right about the confidence factor. This was very insightful. Let's find some time to connect!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Izziedodat,

Many people find studying for the GMAT to be challenging, so you're not alone. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so if you're getting "stuck" on certain questions, then it might be that "your way" of approaching the questions is the "long way" or the "complicated way."

Before I can offer you any advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
3) When was the last time you took a CAT and how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to and what application deadlines are you facing?

Rich

Thank you for this! To everyone who responded, I had taken a little mental break from studying and I had family emergencies that came up too.

Studies:
- 2/3 hours a day so about 14 to 21 hours a week
- I completed Veritas prep course and have taken reviews from manhattan
- Verbal I have been around 23 but I know EXACTLY why I missed them so oddly enough, I'm not as worried about the verbal. The quant score is 32 from the last exam I took and this is the one I struggle the most.

Goals:
- I would like to get to the mid 600's
- I'm targeting a January start date but I am flexible and in no rush. I'm planning on going through The Consortium.

Target Schools: Ross, Kellogg, and Kenan-Flagler. Back up schools include UT - Dallas, Wayne State and Indiana (In case all else fails and it may turn out that I'm not built for ivy league)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11672 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Izziedodat,

If you're currently working with The Consortium, then you may have already discussed your application plans with some Admissions Experts already. Whether you've actually gotten to that 'step' in the process or not, you are clearly interested in some highly-competitive Schools, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with some additional Admissions Experts about your overall profile and plans (as that may provide some additional insight into how you might best put together an application plan). Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

If you took your last CAT/mock in June, then you still have a considerable amount of work to do (in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections) before you will be able to consistently score in the mid-600s - and that training will take some time. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) How long ago did you take your last CAT/mock?
2) Are you planning to take the At-home GMAT or are you planning to take your GMAT at a Test Facility?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
GMAT Club Bot