Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: The best way to learn new words [#permalink]
Top Contributor
ccooley wrote:
Can I ask why you're studying vocab for the GMAT? Since the test doesn't directly address vocab, there are only a few situations in which you'd really need to drill new words (and it would probably be more effective to work on them by doing full problems, instead.) A lot of the time, on the GMAT, you can ignore words you don't know - or make your best guess - and still be okay.

I agree with you ccooley that we don't have to mugup/by heart words as we do for other exams like GRE.
But there are plenty of scenarios where I made mistakes because I do not know a word meaning in RC choices.
Also it affects your reading when you do not have proper vaocabulary.
So I think vocab does affect you internally although not openly.
Can you pen your thoughts regarding this aspect?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
ccooley wrote:
Can I ask why you're studying vocab for the GMAT? Since the test doesn't directly address vocab, there are only a few situations in which you'd really need to drill new words (and it would probably be more effective to work on them by doing full problems, instead.) A lot of the time, on the GMAT, you can ignore words you don't know - or make your best guess - and still be okay.

I agree with you ccooley that we don't have to mugup/by heart words as we do for other exams like GRE.
But there are plenty of scenarios where I made mistakes because I do not know a word meaning in RC choices.
Also it affects your reading when you do not have proper vaocabulary.
So I think vocab does affect you internally although not openly.
Can you pen your thoughts regarding this aspect?

Yes - there are a handful of situations where vocab does matter on the GMAT, and this is one of them!

Note that the meanings of technical terms never matter on the GMAT. For instance - if an RC passage is about geology, and a technical term regarding geology is used in the answer choices, that means it'll either be defined in the passage, or you won't need it at all. You can safely ignore all technical jargon, since it's just there to confuse you.

But, they do sometimes use words that many people don't know. For instance, the word 'qualified'. A lot of people think that this only means 'having qualifications', like a qualified surgeon or pilot. However, it also has a second meaning, 'including caveats' - if you give 'qualified praise', you're praising something, but you're also making it clear that whatever you're praising is not 100% perfect. That could cause you to get a GMAT RC question wrong! These situations should be pretty rare, but they might be more common for people whose English skills are weaker. Either way, each time you run into one, make a flashcard and add it to your studies.

I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to find a 'GMAT word list', though. These cases are rare enough that you'd be better off learning them by doing problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ilinyevg wrote:
Hi everyone,

Could you please share how to learn new words? I found out that cards with pictures work well. Also, weekly reviews are also helpful. However, some part of new words is always disappear from my mind, which is not good. So, what will be your advice?

A great way to do this is just to read a lot, so you get used to seeing new words in context. An kindle makes that even easier, because as you read you can highlight words that you don't know and add them to a vocab list that you can go back and review.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Learning new words is always beneficial if you have time; otherwise, if you already have tons of thing in your mind, and there are still hundreds of exciting stuffs to learn out there, then the only truly efficient way to memorize words is to understand the word from the context or your own experiences
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts