Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [70]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: ISB '20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [18]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Re: The fact that “dark matter” accounts for over 95 percent of the matter [#permalink]
Can't understand the last is/are, do you know of any similar question i can refer to??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [3]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
The fact that “dark matter” accounts for over 95 percent of the matter [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
shobhitkh wrote:
The fact that “dark matter” accounts for over 95 percent of the matter in the universe has been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what is more difficult to determine are the origin, composition, and properties of dark matter.

Using POE :

Subject of first IC is "The fact", so we need a singular verb "Has been" and not plural verb "Have been". Eliminate D and E.

When we see second IC after "but", we can see the SV disagreement. Subject of the second is a clause "What is........", and this means we are talking about something

singular. When clause becomes the subject of the sentence, it is considered "singular". Eliminate A and C.

(A) has been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what is more difficult to determine are

(B) has been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what is more difficult to determine is

(C) has been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what are more difficult to determine are

(D) have been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what is more difficult to determine are

(E) have been established through analysis of gravity’s effect on light from distant objects, but what are more difficult to determine are
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Send PM
Re: The fact that “dark matter” accounts for over 95 percent of the matter [#permalink]
Kudos
EpilepticLearner wrote:
Can't understand the last is/are, do you know of any similar question i can refer to??

hello EpilepticLearner

try this threads, there are a lot of good explanations:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-is-foll ... l#p1698723

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-period-w ... ml#p727032
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
What he likes much in breakfast is/are an apple, a full glass of milk and two sandwiches.
In my understanding what is modifying the list of three items. So "are" is correct here.

Similarly, in given SC problem, ...but what is/are difficult to determine is/are x, y and z.
I think here what is mentioned for three nouns; therefore, at both places, are is correct.
Whether the clause is singular or plural depends on whether the relative pronoun itself is understood as singular or plural.
Please clear this doubt to avoid further mistakes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Thanks GKomoku!

Now I am completely agree with your elucidation. And I will keep this in mind while attempting such SC problems.

GKomoku wrote:
gvij2017 wrote:
What he likes much in breakfast is/are an apple, a full glass of milk and two sandwiches.
In my understanding what is modifying the list of three items. So "are" is correct here.

Similarly, in given SC problem, ...but what is/are difficult to determine is/are x, y and z.
I think here what is mentioned for three nouns; therefore, at both places, are is correct.
Whether the clause is singular or plural depends on whether the relative pronoun itself is understood as singular or plural.
Please clear this doubt to avoid further mistakes.

hello gvij2017

I had the same concern when I faced this question, and made a lot of search in the internet and in GC, and came to the conclusion below:

Conclusion: Whenever (noun) clause acts as a subject of the sentence it is always SINGULAR in GMAT irrespective of weather the verb refers to a singular/plural noun.

Your above considerations is correct form general grammar standpoint as Mr. Mike said, but seems here in GMAT it is a little bit straight forward.

Please refer to this thread maybe you find answered that you are searching for https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-period-w ... ml#p727032

EducationAisle wrote:

The subject of the sentence that you've stated in your post, is What is difficult to determine. This is itself a clause.

When the subject of a clause itself is a clause, the subject is considered singular.

This is irrespective of whether the verb be refers to a singular/plural noun. I used to know a very specific official example illustrating this point, but somehow am not able to locate it.

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this aspect of clauses, along with examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

and some more examples form EducationAisle

What one learns from mistakes (is/are) resilience, will power and courage.
What is very clear from recent debacle of the party in the elections (is/are) lack of leadership, absence of political vision, and discontent among voters.
What statements politicians give (is/are) important.
How many superstitions there are (don’t/doesn't) matter.
That a causal relationship exists between health and labor productivity (has been/have been) concluded by several empirical studies.

hope it will be helpful somehow ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Schools: ISB '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
generis
but "what is more difficult to determine" - is this the substantive clause?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The fact that “dark matter” accounts for over 95 percent of the matter [#permalink]
Kudos