Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619095 [12]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64928 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Chitra657 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water pipe. If the inside radius of the pipe is r feet and the outside radius of the pipe is t feet, what is the value of r ?

(1) The ratio of t - r to r is 0.15 and t - r is equal to 0.3 foot.
(2) The area of the concrete in the cross section is 1.29π square feet.

Attachment:
2014-12-23_1815.png

VeritasKarishma Bunuel ScottTargetTestPrep

In sums like these, especially stat 2, we get (t+r)(t-r)= 1.29
Now I assumed that various numbers can fulfill the condition, so insuff.
But, on some DS problems, it turns out that statements like these sometimes have only one set of correct value.

So under time pressure, how to decide whether to mark insuff and move on or try plugging a few different values and check?

There are indeed many DS questions where you have an equation with more than one unknown, but there is only one possibility for a solution (commonly when the unknowns are required to be integers). The first advice I can give you is to be super careful and always check the constraints on the unknowns.

That said, there are actually more than one value of r to satisfy that equation, so your answer was correct. However, unless you are running very short on time, it is a good idea to verify this. For this equation, it is not very difficult. I'd rather use the non-factored form t² - r² = 1.29 to do that.

First, we can let r = 0.1. Then, r² = 0.01 and t² = 1.28. We don't need to actually calculate the value of t, we just need to see that it is a reasonable number (for this question, it just means that it is positive) and notice that this set of r and t satisfies the equation t² - r² = 1.29. Thus, r = 0.1 is one possibility. Next, let r = 0.2 or some other number you want. You can follow the same steps as above and see that we can again find a positive value of t to satisfy the equation t² - r² = 1.29. Since we have more than one possible value for r, statement two is not sufficient to answer the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:

The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water pipe. If the inside radius of the pipe is r feet and the outside radius of the pipe is t feet, what is the value of r ?

Attachment:
2014-12-23_1815.png

Stmt 1: t-r =.3 ft; t-r/r = .15 => r = 2ft - sufficient
stmt 2: πt^2 - πr^2 = 1.29π - Not sufficient as we cannot find either t or t-r from this

A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
2014-12-23_1815.png

St-1: \(\frac{(t-r)}{r}\) = 0.15 --> \(\frac{0.3}{r}\) = 0.15 . r can be calculated. Sufficient
St-2: π(t^2 - r^2) = 1.29π. Two unknowns. Not sufficient

Ans - A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: The figure above shows the circular cross section of a concrete water [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel...

Eventhough I found out the answer to be A.

Doubt :-

At what point of time I should stop plugging in the values? t^2-r^2 = 1.29....After sometime I got tired and didnt plug in values because nothing
was getting satisfied?? How should I approach this types of problem, when in actual GMAT there might be one such question where one particular value will do the trick.

Is it necessary that if the answer yields result as D, both the answers should be same in numerical problems. Generally I ve found them same\
whenever the answer is D. So is it safe to solve easy one first? and try hit and trial for the second option and if I am not finding any particular result by using option B.. I should see whether the result is getting satisfied if I plug in the asnwer value obtained from A. Can 2 options A and B yield contradicting results yet be correct? (I am talking about numerical problems)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619095 [2]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM