Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7798 [125]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q45  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
Re: The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made [#permalink]
I was confused between A and E, the remaining answers are not what the author is implying. However, im not sure i completely agree with your logic of using present tense, since if the discovery was in the past and it still holds true, it would not be simple present rather it would be present perfect has/have+ past participle but none of the choices give us that.
Any other reasoning to choose A over E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q45  V47
Send PM
Re: The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made [#permalink]
Kudos
scbguy wrote:
I was confused between A and E, the remaining answers are not what the author is implying. However, im not sure i completely agree with your logic of using present tense, since if the discovery was in the past and it still holds true, it would not be simple present rather it would be present perfect has/have+ past participle but none of the choices give us that.
Any other reasoning to choose A over E

Present perfect is not, strictly speaking, about something that happened in the past and still holds true. That is often the case, but the stricter definition is this: present perfect is a present tense that refers to past events with some sort of anchoring reference in the present moment. This generally takes the form of a consequence:

- "I've been bleaching my hair for years!" given as a response to someone noticing that my hair is platinum blonde and badly damaged (the consequence)

- "I've lived in Paris for four years!" when a Frenchman notices that although I have an accent I speak French very well (the consequence)

- "I've lived in Florida before!" when a friend from across town tells me that he plans to move to Florida (as a consequence of my having lived there already, I am equipped to relate to his present/future experience)

The present perfect, by itself, does imply something finite about the action in question. Thus you would never say, "The apparent disappearance of matter in flames has been an illusion" because this is a scientific FACT, true for all time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
GMATNinja @mikemgarry @e-gmat

Although I picked option A as the correct answer, I am not clear why option C is wrong? How does it change the meaning?

Full-sentence with underlined portion replaced by option C: The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made in 1774 when Lavoisier recognized that the disappearance of matter in flames is apparently an illusion.

Here the meaning is perfectly clear to me: (the disappearance of matter) is an illusion

Why is this meaning not in line with the original sentence?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
From our Ask Me Anything About SC thread:
junii wrote:
GMATNinja.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect here?
The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made in 1774 when Lavoisier recognized that the apparent disappearance of matter in flames is an illusion.

(A) the apparent disappearance of matter in flames is an illusion

(B) the matter that apparently disappears in flames is an illusion

(C) the disappearance of matter in flames is apparently an illusion

(D) it was an illusion that there is an apparent disappearance of matter in flames

(E) it was an illusion that matter apparently disappears in flames

There is a subtle meaning difference between (A) and (B). In (A), "the apparent disappearance of matter in flames" is the illusion. In (B), "the matter that apparently disappears in flames" is the illusion.

But it's not the matter itself that is the illusion -- it's the apparent disappearance of that matter (it only seems like the matter disappears, but it really doesn't -- the disappearance is an illusion).

Grammatically, (B) doesn't look bad, but it has a glaring meaning issue. That makes (A) the better choice.

I hope that helps!
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Can you please help in explaining why option C is incorrect.

How is it changing the meaning of the sentence?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Can you please help in explaining why option C is incorrect.

How is it changing the meaning of the sentence?

Hello Vatsal7794,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe that we can help clear up your doubt.

The difference in meaning between A and C rests on their use of the adjective "apparent" and the adverb "apparently", respectively.

In Option A, "apparent" modifies "disappearance"; in this context "apparent" means that something seems to be real or true but may not be. Thus, it serves to reinforce the idea that the disappearance of the matter is an illusion by modifying "disappearance" to imply that it is not real; effectively, Option A conveys the meaning - the disappearance of matter in flame seems real but is actually an illusion.

In Option B, "apparently" modifies the action "is an illusion"; in this context, "apparently" can either mean that something is obvious or that something is true, as per available evidence. Thus, it serves to either clarify that the disappearance of matter in flame is clearly an illusion or to clarify that the disappearance of matter in flame is an illusion, as far as we can tell. Effectively, Option B conveys one of two possible meanings - that it is obvious that the disappearance of matter in flame is an illusion or that the disappearance of matter in flame is an illusion, as far as can currently be ascertained.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Thanks VeritasKarishma

For the proper explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made [#permalink]
From a stylistic viewpoint, I would say:

The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made
in 1774 when Lavoisier recognized that
the apparent disappearance of matter in flames is an illusion.

where "the key discovery" matches "the apparent disappearance"; "in the scientific effort to understand fire" matches "of matters in flames"; "was made" matches "is an illusion".

What would you say?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
GMATNinja can you tell why E is wrong?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos