Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [212]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [38]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [19]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer B and D seems extreme. Answer E seems out side of the scope. I am between A and C. I think I am going to chose C because the statement mentioned about unrefined oil not refined as mentioned in A.

So, C for me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
12345678 wrote:

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

1) - quality of olive oil inversely proportional to free oleic acid

The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

2) - acidity directly proportional to proportion of free oleic acid

If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?

From 1 and 2 therefore, Higher oleic acid ---> lower quality. So, if intermediate oleic acid --> intermediate quality.

Concur with C

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
dwivedys wrote:
12345678 wrote:

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

1) - quality of olive oil inversely proportional to free oleic acid

The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

2) - acidity directly proportional to proportion of free oleic acid

If the statements above are all true, which of the following conclusions is best supported by them?

From 1 and 2 therefore, Higher oleic acid ---> lower quality. So, if intermediate oleic acid --> intermediate quality.

Concur with C

hey dwivedys...u always come with explainations.....cheers to u :)
I will simply go with "C"
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
12345678 wrote:
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.
B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately
measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined
olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.
D. Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains.
E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.

I say C for this.

A: We are talking about unrefined olive oil.
B: argument says that other methods are used.
D: Maybe, but we can't determine this from the passage.
E: Goes against passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
My problem with this is that C directly contradicts the first statement.

"the quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity..."
Answer choice (C) says
"If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality."
Which translates to intermediate in quality = intermediate in acidity
so quality = acidity
which contradicts the first part of stem.

Can someone help me understand this? Was this an official GMAT question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Kudos
boiled it down to C and E

rest are irrelevant or out of scope

E says that quality is judged by acidity , which is not the case by the argument

C clearly wins sshowing relationship between acidity and quality ,which the argument actually explains.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi Sayantac,

I was able to get down to C & E.
I got highly distracted by the jump unrefined olive oil to olive oil in the last sentence.( do you think we should overlook this shift?)

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity,
yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

Quality of unrefined olive is not a function of acidity : in mathematical terms
but - Lesser the oleic acid - higher the quality : some relation ship is there. (1)

Oleic acid is proportional to acidity :
higher the oleic acid - higher the acidity or
lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity. ( 2)

so combining 1 & 2 we can say that

lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity - higher the quality

So why can't we say that quality is affected by acidity or acidity is a measure of quality : this is what E says.

E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste.

Thanks in Anticipation
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
divyaverma wrote:
Hi Sayantac,

I was able to get down to C & E.
I got highly distracted by the jump unrefined olive oil to olive oil in the last sentence.( do you think we should overlook this shift?)

The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity,
yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality.

Quality of unrefined olive is not a function of acidity : in mathematical terms
but - Lesser the oleic acid - higher the quality : some relation ship is there. (1)

Oleic acid is proportional to acidity :
higher the oleic acid - higher the acidity or
lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity. ( 2)

so combining 1 & 2 we can say that

lesser the oleic acid - lower the acidity - higher the quality

So why can't we say that quality is affected by acidity or acidity is a measure of quality : this is what E says.

Thanks in Anticipation

Of course you CAN say that acidity can be an indication of the quality - however you CANNOT say that the judges use that parameter to measure quality because nothing is said about the judges in the passage. So there is no way for you to conclude what method the judges adopt to measure the quality, whether they taste acidity or something else ( say, texture).

[Please type @<user name> if you want to mention someone in your post. Otherwise the person does not get a notification. Alternatively in case you want to ask specifically me about any post, please feel free to send a link of the post to me by a PM. ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
sayantanc2k : Thanks ! So the extra fluff here is making the choice incorrect. Though the gist of the sentence does relate to the derived relationship. But the circumstance via which this relationship is presented is no where mentioned in the passage.

Can we say that this choice is inconsistent - or half right or half wrong? This is definitely not OFS as many has suggested.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
divyaverma wrote:
sayantanc2k : Thanks ! So the extra fluff here is making the choice incorrect. Though the gist of the sentence does relate to the derived relationship. But the circumstance via which this relationship is presented is no where mentioned in the passage.

Can we say that this choice is inconsistent - or half right or half wrong? This is definitely not OFS as many has suggested.

They are not wrong. Choice E is wrong and out of scope since the argument is not about how the testing is done by experts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
12345678 wrote:
The quality of unrefined olive oil is not actually defined in terms of acidity, yet extensive tests have shown that the less free oleic acid an unrefined olive oil contains per liter, the higher its quality. The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity.

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced.
B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.

The conclusion of the argument states -- "The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity" i.e we can easily state that "Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains" i.e option 'D'.

Can anyone please elaborate as to why 'D' is wrong here.

Just because it is extreme ?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
ynk wrote:
12345678 wrote:

B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality.

The conclusion of the argument states -- "The proportion of free oleic acid that an olive oil contains is an accurate measure of the oil’s acidity" i.e we can easily state that "Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains" i.e option 'D'.

Can anyone please elaborate as to why 'D' is wrong here.

Just because it is extreme ?

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem, I don't understand why D is wrong.. " accurate" means exact, so only the Free Oleic Acid is present in the unfiltered olive oil
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
12345678 wrote:

A. When an olive oil is refined, the concentration of oleic acid in the oil is reduced. -> irrelevant as passage is about unrefined olive oil only
B. The quality of an unrefined olive oil can be determined only by accurately measuring its acidity. -> This is an extreme.
C. If an unrefined olive oil is intermediate in acidity between two other unrefined olive oils, it will also be intermediate between them in quality. -> Correct
D. Free oleic acid is the only acid that unrefined olive oil contains. -> extreme
E. People who judge the quality of unrefined olive oils actually judge those oils by their acidity, which the judges can taste. -> irrelevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Hi,
Can you tell me why choice D is wrong in this CR question. It is obvious from the last sentence that the measure of oleic acid is the only measure of acidity. This is directly stated in choice D. I think, to reject an option just because it is extreme can't be an intelligent method to solve CR Qs.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [11]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos