It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 12:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 41

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 10:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (00:59) correct 46% (04:03) wrong based on 411 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following best completes the passage below?

The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic material inherited from the parents or the nurturing and environment provided by the parents is a perennial subject of debate. While no one would deny that environment and upbringing play some limited, superficial role, the genetic traits the child inherits provide the basic blueprint for who, and what, the child becomes. After all, if one plants tomatoes, _______.

A: one must tend them carefully, in order to gather good vegetables
B: one had better choose the variety and location with equal care
C: one will eventually get tomatoes, but not necessarily good tomatoes
D: one must expect tomatoes to grow, not cucumbers or daffodils
E: one must be sure to tend them well, regardless of the quality of the seeds used

I chose the answer C, since its more related to the line 'genetic traits the child inherits provide the basic blueprint for who, and what, the child becomes'. Could anybody explain why is OA better than that.

KUDOS if you like this question.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 41

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 11:02
The passage emphasizes on the inherited traits than the nurturing and environment provided. See this line "the genetic traits the child inherits provide the basic blueprint for who, and what, the child becomes. ". This implies, we need to add something that would emphasis on Inherited Traits only. So, if we say "if one plants tomatoes", we need to say something that focuses on the Inherited traits. D is the best answer here. That supports the idea that inheritence is more important that the environment. Hope that helps.

RaghavSingla wrote:

The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic material inherited from the parents or the nurturing and environment provided by the parents is a perennial subject of debate. While no one would deny that environment and upbringing play some limited, superficial role, the genetic traits the child inherits provide the basic blueprint for who, and what, the child becomes. After all, if one plants tomatoes, _______.

E: one must be sure to tend them well, regardless of the quality of the seeds used

I chose the answer C, since its more related to the line 'genetic traits the child inherits provide the basic blueprint for who, and what, the child becomes'. Could anybody explain why is OA better than that.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '17, IIMA , IIMB, Mannheim, EBS, XLRI
GMAT Date: 08-16-2015
GPA: 2.69
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 12:11
This is a question of proverb and parallel comparison.
Between C and D, D is the right choice. D clearly states similar meaning as previous statement.

RaghavSingla wrote:

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 02:22
If one plants tomatoes obviously one will get tomatoes but the variety or quality depends on environment

If parent has got trait, child will get the same, but how that trait is developed is based on environment.

But the answer choice of if one plants tomatoes , one will get tomatoes not cabbages is wrong. Because if parents has traits the kid will not get other trait cannot be concluded

A -> B is what is given, but not A-> Not B is incorrect.

Even if I parallel trait with tomatoes, traits from parents will go to children but it never said other traits will not come which is called her as cabbages.

Need please some one correct by thought and how my understanding is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 58

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 2: 650 Q32 V48
GRE 1: 311 Q160 V151
WE: Design (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2016, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
Obviously, The confusion is between C or D. In my opinion option D is closer to the argument provided. Because, The argument is supporting the fact that genetic material is the key in shaping child's personality but not environment. This is rightly paralleled in option D which states sowing tomatoes gives tomatoes but not other things. Initially Even I was inclined towards C because, The child remains as the child only that his/her thoughts or personality is under debate. It is our general outside knowledge makes us think in a manner that environment would have an impact on child and hence sowing tomatoes gives tomatoes but not necessarily good ones due to of environmental impact. But as per the argument there is little or no environmental impact so sowing tomatoes gives tomatoes (the exact ones) but not daffodils or cucumber.

Also, more importantly the argument never mentions that the child becomes bad due to environment and upbringing. But option C does say that the tomatoes may end up as bad tomatoes. This is not correct hence D answer.

Please feel free to correct me. I am open to change and learn.
thanks
Balaji

Kudos [?]: 6 [1], given: 58

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2017, 11:02

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 165

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 16:45
RaghavSingla wrote:

What this question is basically stating is that the personality of a child raises the question of the whole nature vs nurture debate. This question supports the nature argument, so which of these answer choices supports the fact that a tomato's development is the result of genetics? The difference between C and D is that D is saying that the tomato will inevitably become a tomato because of nature.

D

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 165

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 20:26
Imo D
The basic reasoning is that when you plant tomatoes you will get tomatoes after they grow and give harvest .
You can not not expect some other fruit to come out of seeds of tomatoes other than tomatoes .
We are not dealing with the quality of tomatoes so C is wrong

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 541

Re: The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 20:26

The question of whether a child's personality is the result of genetic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap