Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3451 [21]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31966 [15]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: There are two containers, each containing a mixture of paints X and Y. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ishita27 wrote:
Hi, can someone please elaborate this solution? How should I approach this type of question IanStewart ?

It's not an official problem. For one thing, the numbers are more complicated than what you'd see in a similar GMAT question, and for another, the GMAT never includes the answer "none" to a question where you can clearly calculate an exact answer. And the question is using "X" and "Y" to label paints, and "1" and "2" to label containers. So it's using letters and numbers as labels, rather than as algebraic or arithmetic quantities. That's just needlessly confusing (my eyes glaze over as I read this problem), and I can't imagine a real GMAT question would ever be written this way.

Rewriting the problem (imperfectly, I'm not spending more than a few seconds on it) so it's more GMAT-like: There are two containers, each containing a mixture of red and blue paint. In the first container, the ratio of red to blue paint is 11 to 4. The paint from this container is mixed in a 2 to 3 ratio with the paint in a second container, and the ratio of red to blue paint in the resulting mixture is 7 to 3. What was the ratio of red paint to blue paint in the second container?

This is a standard mixtures or weighted averages problem, so you should use for this question whichever method you generally use for such problems. I would always use alligation; if that method is unfamiliar to anyone reading, this solution likely won't make sense, but you can learn about that method just by googling the word "alligation". Here we know the first container is 11/15 red paint, and the resulting mixture is 7/10 red paint. We don't know the proportion of red paint in the other container, so I'll call that "A". So on a number line, we have:

---A-----(7/10)----------(11/15)-------

where the overall average, 7/10, must be closer to "A" than to 11/15, because we're using more paint from the second container than from the first. By alligation, the distances to the middle average (to '7/10') must be in a 2 to 3 ratio, since we're mixing things in a 2 to 3 ratio. So you could just write down an equation from there (which would look like: (11/15 - 7/10) / (7/10 - A) = 3/2), or you could get a larger denominator to more easily see what A is. If we use 90, we get:

--A----63/90---------66/90----

and now to make sure the distances to the middle are in a 2 to 3 ratio, A clearly must be 61/90. So 61/90 of the paint in the second container is red, and the ratio of red to blue paint is thus 61 to 29.

On actual GMAT questions, alligation typically works out much more cleanly than it does here, because GMAT question designers choose their numbers so things work out neatly most of the time. So while the concepts this question tests are well within the scope of the GMAT, and you'll want to know how to solve problems of this general type, this isn't the best example to practice, because it doesn't closely resemble what you'll see on the actual test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: There are two containers, each containing a mixture of paints X and Y. [#permalink]
Hi, can someone please elaborate this solution? How should I approach this type of question IanStewart ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 196
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
There are two containers, each containing a mixture of paints X and Y. [#permalink]
This question has been solved using Alligations.
x(proportion of X) = ratio of X/whole solution 2
Solution 1 , proportion of X = 11/15
Final solution, proportion of X = 7/10

Ratio in which the Solution 1 and 2 are mixed= 2:3

Please google Allegations before going through this solution.

(1/30)/(7/10 - x) = 3/2 (the ratio is reversed because i have taken the solution 2 first)
solve for x
x = 61/90
Solution 2, X: Y = 61:29
Attachments

IMG_20201013_205209.jpg
IMG_20201013_205209.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 3560 times ]

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts