Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Owen '20 (A$)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: too old for top 10 schools ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Again, it is not impossible to get in at 33. People have definitely done that on GMAT Club and in the wild.
You want to get as high of a score as you can. The average at Top 10 is 720, so you would be right about average with your estimation. 650 cold is a fantastic result. I was able to go from 540 to 750 in 3.5 months. You can probably go to 750 in a few months with a regular study schedule.

As to EMBA and PTMBA, recruiting is usually NOT a part of those 2 programs since they assume employment while in the program. Otherwise, they are diluting the value they provide for the FT MBA students who are in fact unemployed and are the ones in the most need of help and a solid job. The only PT/EMBA recruiting-friendly school i know if is Kellogg. They invite all students to attend and encourage mingling. Other schools are more protective of their FT MBA events (also in part because EMBA and PT MBA are less competitive). However, this is not to say that you won't make a good network of support while in EMBA - you will be surrounding by other executives working in a verity of companies and positions, many can help you learn about position their company is recruiting for and recommend you based on the class experience.

P.S. FT is the classic MBA experience many feel is the "only" way. That's not true. You can definitely try your chances this fall with FT and then switch to the PT or EMBA track. Many schools allow and some encourage that application strategy.

Good Luck!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
too old for top 10 schools ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Just a quick note on EMBA option; It's generally good for those who have fair amount of relevant work experience and who don't want to make any significant career shift post MBA. These programs are designed to help experienced senior level business folks fill in knowledge gaps and focus on executive level issues in the business world.

Take a look at article #15 - Types of Programs - of GMAT Club MBA Guide for detailed information on these programs... https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-gmat-clu ... 23494.html
Current Student
Send PM
bb wrote:
Again, it is not impossible to get in at 33. People have definitely done that on GMAT Club and in the wild.
You want to get as high of a score as you can. The average at Top 10 is 720, so you would be right about average with your estimation. 650 cold is a fantastic result. I was able to go from 540 to 750 in 3.5 months. You can probably go to 750 in a few months with a regular study schedule.

As to EMBA and PTMBA, recruiting is usually NOT a part of those 2 programs since they assume employment while in the program. Otherwise, they are diluting the value they provide for the FT MBA students who are in fact unemployed and are the ones in the most need of help and a solid job. The only PT/EMBA recruiting-friendly school i know if is Kellogg. They invite all students to attend and encourage mingling. Other schools are more protective of their FT MBA events (also in part because EMBA and PT MBA are less competitive). However, this is not to say that you won't make a good network of support while in EMBA - you will be surrounding by other executives working in a verity of companies and positions, many can help you learn about position their company is recruiting for and recommend you based on the class experience.

P.S. FT is the classic MBA experience many feel is the "only" way. That's not true. You can definitely try your chances this fall with FT and then switch to the PT or EMBA track. Many schools allow and some encourage that application strategy.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the clarification BB !! I am just going to say hail mary and go wild on my gmat prep. If not top 10 then hopefully at least someone in top 25 will be ok to accept an oldie with a good GMAT score. I do have a good clarity about why i want get an mba at this age ... I will articulate it as good as possible in my essay.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Raammm wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first post on gmat club !! I just started preparing for GMAT and I am planning to apply for Fall 2018. I will be almost 33 years old when i send the applications. I have 2 years of experience as a process engineer (chemical engineering) in India and 5 years of Oil and Gas experience here in the USA. I have a Master's degree. Is this profile considered too old for the top 10 business schools in the USA ?

I will add my 2 cents:

1- Beside the GMAT score, you need to show case through your essays, recommendations and interviews. At this age, the adcom considers you mature enough to articulate your goals precisely. Those schools have very liberal thinking so do not be conservative. I advice you to work with a consultant.

2- Do not focus only in Top 10. Nothing is guaranteed. Try to expand to top 30. Search for your 'fit' in those schools.

Good luck
Wharton Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Raammm, I came across this GMAT club member's admission experience, it may help you clear your doubt.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/admitted-to- ... 38006.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
Hi Raammm,

As explained by others, you’ll be under greater scrutiny for ‘why you need a FT MBA’, one of the important reasons being employability risk. Other factors too can play a role: academic rustiness if the previous degree was too distant (a high GMAT score takes care of this) and fit with the school (older applicants are more likely to spend less time in off-class activities because of family commitments or age gap). You may read more on this here:

Are You 30+? MBA Programs May Have 3 Concerns on Your Application

Also, this article will give you a high-level view of FT, PT, and E MBAs.

Beyond Full-Time MBA Programs – 5 More Type of MBA Programs
GMAT Club Bot