Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
Thanks Dakells, that's the route I'm leaning towards.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
I got my feedback and was also advised to retake the GMAT. I got a 700.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
bizwiz84 wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
Just received my feedback as well - room for improvement regarding GMAT Score (710). While its close to their average, I can understand their recommendation here given the rest of my profile may just be average on their standards.

My question is, lets say I am having a bad morning on the day I reschedule my exam and happen to get a 690 or 700 (though I'm confident I can improve with a few weeks of practice exams) will that automatically lead to a DING? Will Tuck AdCom only see my scores if I specifically make them aware of my retake and if I actually send the scores over?

Take the exam. If you score above 710, send it to them, if not, don't send it. The only way they would find out about a lower score is if you re-apply next year.
Just one thought though: I know the application process in holistic, and you must present your strenghts in all aspects possible, but it just sounds weird to me that someone with a 710 receives such a feedback, and people with lower scores don't. As I said, they look at all aspects of your profile, but if the comment is related to your GMAT, than people with similar or lower scores should receive the same feedback. And a 710 is now not a good enough score? Are you serious? A 10 point difference to a 720 would make you a better student just because you are above their average? I'm sorry, I can't agree with something like that....
To me, this feedback is being based on the personal opinion of the one who reads your file in 20 minutes just to write your feedback. I cannot believe it is derived from the group decision the committee made about your file. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't need an official feedback to know that a 710 could be better. But it is 7 points below their average, so it's totally acceptable. They should tell you what really kept you out for the moment, the 710 just can't be it.
Sorry for the long post, but it's so unfair to be waitlisted, expect a decent feedback, and receive a couple of sentences that don't help at all!

I understand what you're saying bizwiz but the way i look at this is that maybe this really is specific to me. Maybe bc I was average on so many other fronts, this higher score would put me over the top in terms of getting in off of the WL. Maybe I'm being optimistic here but for others who have a lower score, improving on it won't put them over the top. Again, I am by no means trying to say others have a lesser chance than I do to get in off WL but I'm just trying to be optimistic here that this specific feedback is what will make a difference for ME in their eyes. I know it doesn't guarantee admission but I do feel that I hold my WL fate in my own hands now if only i can improve my score.

IMO, if you think you were average on so many other fronts, a higher GMAT will hardly do the trick. That's exactly what I was saying. I don't think they let people in with an average profile and a high gmat score, you must bring a lot of things to the table, that's why this process is so competitive. Your 710 should not hold you back, it should push you forward. Bottom line is that if they said you'd benefit from a higher score, than go ahead and take the test again. And good luck with it! It just does not make sense to me, that's all.
Sorry guys, as you might have noticed, I get a little frustrated when things don't make sense. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I received feedback to retake the GMAT so it looks like it will be back to the books. I am not sure how much I can really improve in just a month but I am going to try because I love Tuck. This is not going to be fun. Does anyone have any tips for a retake?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
WQZ1716 wrote:
I received feedback to retake the GMAT so it looks like it will be back to the books. I am not sure how much I can really improve in just a month but I am going to try because I love Tuck. This is not going to be fun. Does anyone have any tips for a retake?

When did you get the email? Could you share your score, or at least if it's below or above 700?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
For those of you retaking the GMAT, what date are you targeting? Sometime in May or June?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
minkathebest wrote:
For those of you retaking the GMAT, what date are you targeting? Sometime in May or June?

Same here, not sure how much I'll improve in a month, especially after not looking at that stuff in over a year but I will give it my best shot. I'm going to target an end of May retake date.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
any word
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
TonyMontana896 wrote:
any word

I'm not anticipating any movement until after May 24 (April Round decisions released).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Some folks from January round already got their feedback. I'm still on the wait...
Also, I saw on the Darden thread that our friend Kjar, who was also waitlisted at Tuck in the January round, is matriculating at Virginia. I guess that means there is one less friend suffering for Tuck. Good luck to Kjar at Charlottesville and to all of us during the next few months!
Director
Director
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:
Some folks from January round already got their feedback. I'm still on the wait...

Hey, if it makes you feel better (which it probably won't), I was waitlisted in the EA round and got my feedback on April 1st.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
bizwiz84 wrote:

Hey, if it makes you feel better (which it probably won't), I was waitlisted in the EA round and got my feedback on April 1st.

Lol, I know all about your long wait CobraKai, I've been reading your posts for quite some time now... At least no one else from your round got their feedbacks long before you, am I right? I'm just feeling a little bit forgotten... :-D
Anyway, the post was mainly to update fellow waitlisters about more people leaving Tuck's WL to join other institutions. Great for them, and a little more hope for us.
Best,
bizwiz
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
WhyIAm wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
kschmidt1801 wrote:
Add me to the nothing specific list.

WhyIAm/kschmidt -- were you guys January Rd WL candidates?

November for me.

I was waitlisted Jan round.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just got my feedback email. The standart "there is nothing specific for you to work on at this time". Also said it's unlikely to see any movement on the waitlist before June or July. Hence, there is nothing we could do but wait.
I guess nothing new for you guys, but just thought it would be helpful to bring you an update.
Director
Director
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:
Just got my feedback email. The standart "there is nothing specific for you to work on at this time". Also said it's unlikely to see any movement on the waitlist before June or July. Hence, there is nothing we could do but wait.
I guess nothing new for you guys, but just thought it would be helpful to bring you an update.

I was actually okay with the "there's nothing you can work on" feedback. In the end, it's a numbers game and the adcom is human, and humans are subjective. There's ~3000 applying for ~280 seats. At some point, the Adcom has to pick a direction and go with it...unfortunately for us, we were in the opposite direction :P
Manager
Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
bizwiz84 wrote:

I was actually okay with the "there's nothing you can work on" feedback. In the end, it's a numbers game and the adcom is human, and humans are subjective. There's ~3000 applying for ~280 seats. At some point, the Adcom has to pick a direction and go with it...unfortunately for us, we were in the opposite direction :P

:-D
I agree with you, they are certainly subjective. Remember how I couldn't believe they told someone with a 710 to retake the GMAT? Well, I also have a 710, with less than stellar GPA (although justified), and they did not ask me to retake it. I don't know if I should be glad, or if I should take another shot at it just because they feel a 710 is not good enough for other applicants.
And I also agree it's a numbers game. I just can't help to wonder what could have tipped the scale in our favor, since apparently we were so close!!
Well, now I'm just dumping my frustration here... :-D

Originally posted by bizwiz84 on 10 Apr 2013, 13:58.
Last edited by bizwiz84 on 11 Apr 2013, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:
I just can't help to wonder what could have tipped the scale in our favor, since apparently we so close!!

I really think this is where the essays come in. Different things will resonate with different adcoms. I spent a lot of time drafting and re-drafting my 3 Tuck essays and basically chopped 100 words off each and molded them towards Johnson.

Tuck WL'd me, Johnson accepted me AND invited me to their scholarship weekend. Different strokes for different folks seeing how there weren't many variables between the two apps.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts