Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.66
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
Got feedback that stated that my GMAT could use improvement. It was a 680.

Took the GMAT again recently and felt great, but a brutal 660 showed up. Gave adcom the terrible update. There's not enough time to retake, and I'm really gauging my odds. Any thoughts on what are some possible next steps, aside from waiting?

Also, any thoughts on likelihood of success with EA next year? It may be challenging to show progress with only 2-3 months between when the waitlist closes and when EA applications are due.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Psyched wrote:
Got feedback that stated that my GMAT could use improvement. It was a 680.

Took the GMAT again recently and felt great, but a brutal 660 showed up. Gave adcom the terrible update. There's not enough time to retake, and I'm really gauging my odds. Any thoughts on what are some possible next steps, aside from waiting?

Also, any thoughts on likelihood of success with EA next year? It may be challenging to show progress with only 2-3 months between when the waitlist closes and when EA applications are due.

When you reapply, I think you can cover the period from the application date to the EA date. I got a similar feedback from Tuck that I should imporve my GMAT, but I am worried that my score won't improve by much. At some point, you just gotta let it go: Obviously, Tuck admitted about 40 kids this past year with a 680 or lower. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't have updated adcom about the lower GMAT score. Sometime hiding stuff is better than being open about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Psyched wrote:
I actually committed to Admissions to take the GMAT on a certain date, so providing an update was really not a choice. I think having my Q +10% and V down 10% was rational since I focused more on the Q.

At this point it's a brutal waiting game. I hope they make an example of me, slam the table at Admissions, and say, 'Screw the GMAT, IN!...' That's how it happens in my dreams anyway!

I think you still have plenty of time to give it a new shot. Although my score is a bit higher, I m in the same case. I ll have the GMAT test next week, and if I screw up, I ll retake it for sure in June. Good luck mate!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To complicate things, I also have committments in part of June that really can't be avoided. As a result, I won't really have time in June to study the GMAT. I told AdCom that I was more than willing to take the GMAT again in mid-late July, but I believe my timing doesn't fit into the WL's timing. Adcom specifically told me to wait.

Theoretically I could absolutely demolish everything and study for 2-3 hours per day, 7 days a week, for the next 2-3 weeks, and then take the GMAT the first week of July, but I would be even more unsure of my ability to increase my score. I do not think going from 680 - 700 would be really material. At that point, with 2 attempts, I think I would need a 720+ to really stick out. That is anything but a certainty...

On a side note, I totally see how people get OCD about visiting this site now!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
riverfish wrote:
INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN offf the waitlist. Incredibly excited.

On another note - I have to give my decision and submit my deposit by May 13th. Kellogg's deadline for decisions is May 15th. I'm not sure if I'd choose Kellogg over Tuck anyway, but it would be nice to know either way before making the decision. Will talk to Kellogg, but if nothing happens with them, I'm taking the spot at Tuck.

Super jacked.

That's great. Please go ahead and notify Kellogg as WL's are running up against second round of deposit deadlines at admitted schools. Enjoy Hanover.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Been on the wait list since EA round, finally got the ding letter today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
cinder4277 wrote:

Sorry to hear that cinder, atleast you have a few soild admits in your pocket! Decide where you're going to go?

Did Tuck send you one of those check your status on the online app emails? If so, what time?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
cinder4277 wrote:

Sorry to hear that cinder, atleast you have a few soild admits in your pocket! Decide where you're going to go?

Did Tuck send you one of those check your status on the online app emails? If so, what time?

Yeah I'll be heading to Darden in the fall. I actually just got an email from the admissions team explaining that the class was full about 5 minutes ago.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ditto... and so ends one journey.

Hopefully I'll see you guys in the 2016 thread. Count me in for EA!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Same here. I wasn't keeping my hopes up, but it's still tough to deal with.
Was everyone offered a coaching session, regarding what could be improved if we choose to re-apply? I was, and I've asked for one. I only hope it's better than the "there's nothing you could do at this time to improve your candidacy".
I'll also try again this year, and this time, Early Action for sure!
Tuck, you'll not get away from me that easily.
Best of luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:
Same here. I wasn't keeping my hopes up, but it's still tough to deal with.
Was everyone offered a coaching session, regarding what could be improved if we choose to re-apply? I was, and I've asked for one. I only hope it's better than the "there's nothing you could do at this time to improve your candidacy".
I'll also try again this year, and this time, Early Action for sure!
Tuck, you'll not get away from me that easily.
Best of luck to all.

It's totally cliche but I think this has been a good experience overall. We'll be wiser for the next application cycle... now where are the questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Well, I guess some of the folks will remain on the waitlist, since they didn't get the same email we did... There's hope for some, after all!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
bizwiz84 wrote:
Well, I guess some of the folks will remain on the waitlist, since they didn't get the same email we did... There's hope for some, after all!

Didn't get an email and my decision letter hasn't changed since 12/14/12. The wait continues.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
Send PM
cinder4277 wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
cinder4277 wrote:

Yeah I'll be heading to Darden in the fall. I actually just got an email from the admissions team explaining that the class was full about 5 minutes ago.

It's odd that they'd say the class is full given that the April Round deposit deadline is June 14 - unless all of their admits from the April Round have already responded.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: CBS '16
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
same here. Still on the grill and lovin'it)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Luso07 wrote:
Psyched wrote:
I actually committed to Admissions to take the GMAT on a certain date, so providing an update was really not a choice. I think having my Q +10% and V down 10% was rational since I focused more on the Q.

At this point it's a brutal waiting game. I hope they make an example of me, slam the table at Admissions, and say, 'Screw the GMAT, IN!...' That's how it happens in my dreams anyway!

I think you still have plenty of time to give it a new shot. Although my score is a bit higher, I m in the same case. I ll have the GMAT test next week, and if I screw up, I ll retake it for sure in June. Good luck mate!

You can still make a big improvement in your score in 30-45 days with dedicated study. I took my GMAT from 670 to 730 in about 30 days, now I am going to Kellogg (was wait listed at Tuck but pulled off for Kellogg). Shoot me a note if you want some advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
cinder4277 wrote:

It's odd that they'd say the class is full given that the April Round deposit deadline is June 14 - unless all of their admits from the April Round have already responded.

My guess is that it's not entirely full but close to it. Hopefully the yield on June 14th is in our favor and there are still a few spots left that they will offer us. Otherwise, I would assume the wait could extend into mid-August as they hear the one-offs reneg on their acceptance for other schools or personal situations.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts