GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2018, 22:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:47) correct 34% (01:22) wrong based on 2717 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 12th Edition, 2009

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 71
Page: 670

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

(A) exhibit, which thereby activates
(B) exhibit, in turn an activation of
(C) exhibit, and it will activate
(D) exhibit and thereby activate
(E) exhibit which, as a result, activates

Attachment:
01.jpg
01.jpg [ 72.13 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

Attachment:
02.jpg
02.jpg [ 82.75 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

Attachment:
03.jpg
03.jpg [ 81.51 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Originally posted by x2suresh on 06 Feb 2009, 21:07.
Last edited by hazelnut on 19 Sep 2018, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2012, 16:04
The correct answer hinges on the word 'which.'

On the GMAT - and of course in proper English - it must always have a clear antecedent.

That is there is something preceding 'which' that 'which' clearly refers to.

Let's have a look at (A) exhibit, which thereby activates

Something is off here - according to the "touch rule" the exhibit is activating the functions. However,
we know it is the visitors who are activating the functions.

(D) provides us with the concise language:

The visitors both 'touch' and 'activate' the exhibit.

Hope that helps :)

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2011, 03:14
calvinhobbes wrote:
Why is A wrong?

Hi, two quick rules to remember about the word "which:"
1. "Which" refers to the nearest noun phrase before it (basically the nearest thing).
So, in this case, "which" refers to the closest noun before it: "exhibit." But then the sentence would say that the exhibit "thereby activates the animated functions..." That's not true; the exhibit does not activate the functions, the visitor does.

2. "Which" is a pronoun, so it can only be used to replace a noun; it can not be used to replace a verb.
So, "which" can not replace "to touch" because "to touch" is a verb and can not be referred to by a pronoun. (if maybe you assumed that the act of touching activated the functions).

For both reasons, A can't be the answer.

Hope that helps.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2009, 21:54
A

you need "which" for the extra, non essential information that follows
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2010, 11:08
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to “touch” each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

A. exhibit, which thereby activates - 'which' refers to exhibit thereby distorting the meaning of the sentence.
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - incorrect
C. exhibit, and it will activate
D. exhibit and thereby activate - touching the exhibit thereby activates...CORRECT
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2014, 03:08
dkverma wrote:

A. exhibit, which thereby activates
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of
D. exhibit and thereby activate

The problem with the original sentence is the inappropriate use of 'which'. This case it modifies exhibit (the noun touching 'which') implying the the exhibit activates the functions of the piece. This is incorrect. The activation is caused by visitors 'touching' the exhibit. the sentence that implies this is the correct one.

A. Incorrect for reason mentioned above.
B. Incorrect parallelism
C. 'it' is an ambiguous pronoun. 'It' can refer to nouns only, so there is no chance it is referring to the 'touching' action.
D. 'and thereby' correctly implies that we are talking about the action that activates the exhibit. CORRECT
E. 'which' modifies exhibit - incorrect meaning

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 00:36
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

The solution is pretty simple i.e D.
But what confused me is the explanation in OG for choice A.
According to me 'which ' refers to exhibit and exhibit cannot activate the .... Hence wrong.
But explanation says that 'which' has no antecedent .Hence wrong.

As far as i know , WHICH modifies the immediate preceding noun. Here its "exhibit".

Please let me know where i am going wrong?
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2014, 07:24
Yes true, the relative pronoun’ which’ is wrongly placed after ‘exhibit, because exhibit cannot activate; It is the act of touching that activates. So we don’t know what that word which is trying to refer to; Hence it simply dangling. The OG says that there is no antecedent for ‘which

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2014, 01:27
rajgurinder wrote:
Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy, where the models are encased in glass or operated only by staff members, the Virtual Leonardo Project, an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit, which thereby activates the animated functions of the piece.

According to me 'which ' refers to exhibit and exhibit cannot activate the .... Hence wrong.

As far as i know , WHICH modifies the immediate preceding noun. Here its "exhibit".

Hi there,

What the explanation seems to mean is that there's no logical antecedent for "which". As you've pointed out, "exhibit" can't be the antecedent of "which" in any logical sense. According to the intended meaning of the sentence, it's clearly the action "to touch" that is responsible for activating the functions. Since there's no noun in the sentence that "which" can logically refer to, we can conclude that this pronoun shouldn't actually be in the underlined portion. So, in this sense, there's no antecedent for "which" in the sentence. It seems to refer to the preceding noun, but logically, it can't.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt.

Regards,
Meghna

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 07:28
When the sentence says encourages visitors to "touch". Isn't it logical to say that the touch activates the functions whereas in D when the sentence says "and thereby activate" it means users activate the animated function. Doesn't using a plural verb activate distorts the meaning to a small extent?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 08:25
farhanc85 wrote:
When the sentence says encourages visitors to "touch". Isn't it logical to say that the touch activates the functions whereas in D when the sentence says "and thereby activate" it means users activate the animated function. Doesn't using a plural verb activate distorts the meaning to a small extent?

There is no plural verb used here. D uses the following parallel structure:

to “touch” each exhibit and thereby (to) activate...

Since we have an infinitive here (to activate), we cannot use to activates.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 02:01

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I understand that "to touch" is an infinitive,an action and not a noun.
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)
eg. 1)To err is human. can we now use any pronoun to refer to "to err".
2)to swim is good for health.

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?
In the 2nd sentence "To err" is the subject. can i call it a noun ??

i think that both the questions are interrelated.
please help.

please help.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2014, 10:53
SidKaria wrote:

in option A) which is referring to exhibit because there is no other noun preceding it.which should refer to "touch".
I understand that "to touch" is an infinitive,an action and not a noun.
I want to know that if we use infinitives as subject can we refer to them with "which" or "it"(pronouns)
eg. 1)To err is human. can we now use any pronoun to refer to "to err".
2)to swim is good for health.

Also want to know that if infinitives can be verbs or nouns or play some other role.
eg In the official question "to touch" refers to an action. so can i call it a verb ?
In the 2nd sentence "To err" is the subject. can i call it a noun ??

i think that both the questions are interrelated.
please help.

please help.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

You do ask a very interesting question. Let me try to clarify your doubts without creating any further confusions.

The "to verb" or "the infinitive" (for those who prefer jargon" is an action phrase that grammatically acts as a noun. This is the reason why we can use "to err" or for that matter several other "to verb" phrases as the Subject of a sentence. However, they are not the conventional noun, just like the verb-ing" nouns or "gerunds", as they also present some action. Only their grammatical form is Noun but essentially they are action words. This is the reason why we CANNOT use any pronoun, be it the regular pronouns or the Relative Pronouns. to refer to "to verbs". The regular pronouns and the Relative Pronouns ONLY refer to regular conventional noun entities.

So yes, you can call them nouns but just for the grammar sake. In functionality, they are actually action words. However, we cannot call the "to verbs" regular Verbs because they CANNOT have any tense. They are used in the same form in sentences written in past, perfect, or future tense. Again, grammatically they cannot be called Verbs because they are already classified as nouns. And an entity can only perform one grammatical function.

Now, is this knowledge vital for solving SC questions? IMHO, it's not. This is more of a grammar detail that is good to know but not something that will help solve SC problems correctly.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.6
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 08:54
Hi SJ,

Can you please help me understand why is 2nd option wrong? I marked it out thinking its too wordy but I'm not sure of the exact reason because on a second thought it doesn't look that bad either.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2014, 09:06
sk5002 wrote:
Hi SJ,

Can you please help me understand why is 2nd option wrong? I marked it out thinking its too wordy but I'm not sure of the exact reason because on a second thought it doesn't look that bad either.

Hi sk5002,

Choice B completely fails to communicate the intended meaning. The intended meaning of the sentence is that in the virtual museum, the visitors are allowed to touch the exhibits and their touch activates the animated function of the touched pieces.

But Choice B fails to convey this. That the "activation of the animated functions" happens because of the visitors touching the exhibit is not conveyed in an effective manner. The correct answer Choice D corrects this error as it maintains perfect parallelism by saying that visitors are encouraged "to touch" the exhibit" and thus "(to) activate" the animated functions.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2014, 08:31

A. exhibit, which thereby activates (Which is referring to exhibit but it is not exhibit that is activating, it is the touch)
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of (Activation is a noun construction but we already have verb "activate" construction so according to drive the VAN we will go with Verb construction)
C. exhibit, and it will activate (antecedent of it is not clear also it can not refer to touch)
D. exhibit and thereby activate (Correct one, also touch and activate are parallel)
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates (Again same as A use of which is not correct, also which cannot be used without preceding Comma or preposition)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2015, 23:01

A. exhibit, which thereby activates --> "which" modifies the nearest noun i.e "exhibit" ,hence changes the meaning.
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of --> usage of "in turn" distorts the meaning.
C. exhibit, and it will activate --> "it" can refer to "exhibit" but exhibit doesn't turned on itself.
D. exhibit and thereby activate --> correct
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates--> usage of which + comma is almost avoided on GMAT.

Hence D
Ans

Regards
SG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 23:46
Raj you really have posted a good question! the visitors touch something that in return activate a function! "exhibit can not activate something by itself" so we cant use "which" as it refer to "exhibit"

rajgurinder wrote:

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 01:33
A. exhibit, which thereby activates - which wrongly modifies exhibit
B. exhibit, in turn an activation of - akward
C. exhibit, and it will activate - reference of it is unclear
D. exhibit and thereby activate - correct as --- an online version of the museum, encourages visitors to "touch" each exhibit and thereby activate....
E. exhibit which, as a result, activates - syntax of which is wrong

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2016, 04:09
Is there any "which\that" rule violation here? Or is which\that irrelevant for this sentence?
Re: Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy &nbs [#permalink] 20 Apr 2016, 04:09

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Unlike the original National Museum of Science and Technology in Italy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap